The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oh-WOW
You should do history!
Ha well see, I said Economics because I do actually think Management and Pyschology are interesting.
Tell me about it. My decision changes hourly. and as I sit here doing stupid references for a stupid essay, I just want something easy.

Yeah I'm looking for something which doesn't require much effort, doubt I'll find something :tongue:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 5821
Original post by Ecosse_14
Yeah I'm looking for something which doesn't require much effort, doubt I'll find something :tongue:

I've heard Substainable development is simple. 4 lectures and 2 tutorials a semester.
Though, is it bad that I'm discounting it because it's at 9am?
Original post by Oh-WOW
I've heard Substainable development is simple. 4 lectures and 2 tutorials a semester.
Though, is it bad that I'm discounting it because it's at 9am?

No, I'm not doing maths (probably the only module I wouldn't mind doing) beacuse it's at 9 :tongue:
Reply 5823
No, I'm not doing maths (probably the only module I wouldn't mind doing) beacuse it's at 9 :tongue:

It's pretty ridiculous that I used to get up at 6.20am every morning for school and now I can barely manage to get up for my 10am (get up at 8.30), 3 days a week. This is one of those moments where my mum would make a comment like 'oh to be a student,' or something.
Original post by Oh-WOW
It's pretty ridiculous that I used to get up at 6.20am every morning for school and now I can barely manage to get up for my 10am (get up at 8.30), 3 days a week. This is one of those moments where my mum would make a comment like 'oh to be a student,' or something.

Yeah, I have NO idea how I managed to be at school for 9 every day. I moan and complain when I have a 9am tutorial 1 morning a week :tongue:

I'm sitting reading the management handbook for 2nd year. They have the idea of stupid student-led tutorials, like a couple people in the group act like the tutor, leading discussions and making quizzes and giving presentations, PFFFFT. That's all I need on a Monday morning :tongue:
Reply 5825
Yeah, I have NO idea how I managed to be at school for 9 every day. I moan and complain when I have a 9am tutorial 1 morning a week :tongue:

I'm sitting reading the management handbook for 2nd year. They have the idea of stupid student-led tutorials, like a couple people in the group act like the tutor, leading discussions and making quizzes and giving presentations, PFFFFT. That's all I need on a Monday morning :tongue:

That sounds incredibly stupid. Though some of tutorials, there are people who act like the tutor. How did you manage to get the second year handbook? Do you think when we pre advise, they'll update MMS before September. I'd really like to get ahead with some reading. Maybe feel less out of my depth at the beginning of next year.
Original post by Oh-WOW
That sounds incredibly stupid. Though some of tutorials, there are people who act like the tutor. How did you manage to get the second year handbook? Do you think when we pre advise, they'll update MMS before September. I'd really like to get ahead with some reading. Maybe feel less out of my depth at the beginning of next year.

Go onto the subject websites and look for links for current students then links to handbooks, I've just spent AGEES doing it for a couple other subjects to get more info on other modules. I'm actually basing my other module on whether they have lectures on a Wed morning cause I wanna do visiting days :tongue:

I doubt they'll update MMS before September, but maybe they will. I'd guess that's something that happens after you meet with your adviser in fresher's week though. Look out the handbooks and you'll find reading lists.
Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx
Wasn't he just? too bad he's leaving! Were you in the 9 - 10 batch? Don't know if you recognise me...
How did your visit go :smile:

I went a few weeks ago :tongue: And it went amazing aswell, thanks :biggrin:!
What is a suitable amount of A*s at GCSE for Economics? Because I heard at LSE its 8-9.

You gotta be kidding :frown: bad times
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
What is a suitable amount of A*s at GCSE for Economics? Because I heard at LSE its 8-9.

Ranging from 0 to however many you do. GCSE's don't play a big part in your application.

Original post by forgottensecret
You gotta be kidding :frown: bad times

Gutted to be you :tongue:
Reply 5831
Go onto the subject websites and look for links for current students then links to handbooks, I've just spent AGEES doing it for a couple other subjects to get more info on other modules. I'm actually basing my other module on whether they have lectures on a Wed morning cause I wanna do visiting days :tongue:

I doubt they'll update MMS before September, but maybe they will. I'd guess that's something that happens after you meet with your adviser in fresher's week though. Look out the handbooks and you'll find reading lists.

Stupid history department don't have that. They haven't even put the module options up in the course catalogue yet. and Classics dept only have a reading list. Except I'm not sure which one of their modules to do
I really want them to update MMS because history is two of my moudles and I want a reading list. :frown:
Ranging from 0 to however many you do. GCSE's don't play a big part in your application.

Gutted to be you :tongue:

Is Economics at SA competitive?
Reply 5833
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Is Economics at SA competitive?

yes.
I am an overseas student, do many overseas students at the SA go for 4 year degree course rather than 3 year course? I dont see any advantages of doing 4 years as an overseas student. what is the practical advantages of doing 4 years expect you can learn more things...?
Reply 5835
Original post by soulmailers
I am an overseas student, do many overseas students at the SA go for 4 year degree course rather than 3 year course? I dont see any advantages of doing 4 years as an overseas student. what is the practical advantages of doing 4 years expect you can learn more things...?

Well, I'm an overseas student, and I think it does have a couple of advantages. Firstly, as you said, you do learn more things. Then, you have the chance to try many different subjects. Also, as an overseas student, you get the chance to really familiarise with the language and the way academic writing is done in Britain before everything is counted towards your degree. Another argument which is important for me is that it makes it more easier for you to spend a semester or a year abroad. :yes:
Original post by soulmailers

You do 4 years at Scottish universities in order to get an honours degree.
Thanks for fast reply, helps alot. By the way i heard that at the end of 2nd year? 3rd year? study, we can participate for the research works and get paid. Anyone knows about this?
How long do lectures last for?

I've looked at last year's timetable (was told that this year's would be basically the same) and I've noticed that I would be going from Physics to Geography straight after or Geography to Physics straight after (depends on which level of entry I go into for physics). Is it possible to get from the North Haugh to the Arts buildings when the lectures are back-to-back?

Original post by alasdair1993
How long do lectures last for?

I've looked at last year's timetable (was told that this year's would be basically the same) and I've noticed that I would be going from Physics to Geography straight after or Geography to Physics straight after (depends on which level of entry I go into for physics). Is it possible to get from the North Haugh to the Arts buildings when the lectures are back-to-back?

45-50 minutes.

Yes, it's possible, you can just walk in a wee bit late if you must as people always do. Aren't Geog lectures at 11 in Chemistry though?

Latest