The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Hugh Stewart

just got an offer of an shared en-suite at Hugh Stewart, anyone else of there? Also does anyone know what the halls like?

Scroll to see replies

I'm shared ensuite at Hugh Stuart :smile: I think it looks the prettiest, but I know there's a "modern" block or two that I'm not too keen on.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by laura-elizabeth
I'm shared ensuite at Hugh Stuart :smile: I think it looks the prettiest, but I know there's a "modern" block or two that I'm not too keen on.

Ahh, that could be an issue then, because I think the only en-suites in Hu Stu are in the new block.
It's shared ensuite rather than my own personal bathroom if that makes any difference?
Reply 4
It's shared ensuite rather than my own personal bathroom if that makes any difference?

Nah I don't think it does.

I was in the old half last year as were the vast majority of my friends so I didn't go into the new blocks all that often but I think they're the only ones with en suites.
Original post by s1mon

I was in the old half last year as were the vast majority of my friends so I didn't go into the new blocks all that often but I think they're the only ones with en suites.

Oh dear, is half of it new and half of it old then? And is there a great difference between the rooms?
Reply 6
Oh dear, is half of it new and half of it old then? And is there a great difference between the rooms?

Yeah pretty much a 50/50 split.

There is a fairly big difference between the rooms yeah. The old block is a bit more Harry Potter-ish (big wooden wardrobes, wood-paneled walls etc) whereas the new blocks are obviously more modern.

The thing I didn't like about the new blocks was the corridor and the horrible lino floors...vomit proof, I suppose...
Oh that sucks! Thanks for the heads up though :smile: maybe a miracle will create an old block shared ensuite room just for me.
Reply 8
Oh that sucks! Thanks for the heads up though :smile: maybe a miracle will create an old block shared ensuite room just for me.

Ahh I wouldn't worry about it too much anyway, you're not actually there for very long :smile:
Reply 9
It seems logical that the modern buildings contain the en-suites. Yeah i think the traditional buildings look better :smile: what you course you applied for?
Original post by Adam_:)
It seems logical that the modern buildings contain the en-suites. Yeah i think the traditional buildings look better :smile: what you course you applied for?

BA Politics, my friend says that whilst the full ensuites are in the modern blocks, he has friends that have shared ensuites that are in the old block. Time will tell I suppose. What about you?
Reply 11
BA Politics, my friend says that whilst the full ensuites are in the modern blocks, he has friends that have shared ensuites that are in the old block. Time will tell I suppose. What about you?

I can think of only two rooms in the old block which could be described as shared ensuite - K1 and K2. There are only 3 rooms in K block, one of which is a tutor's flat; the two others share a bathroom and a pantry, but both have sinks in anyway. When I was in Hu Stu they were described as single study, despite the advantageous bathroom situation.

Unless there has been major building work, blocks A, B, D, F, H, J, L, M, N, and O comprise of (large) single study or shared rooms. Blocks P - Z (new block) are mostly shared ensuite and/or private shared bathroom (I don't know what distinguishes them - they never used to be differentiated between) with a few single studies and ensuites thrown in here and there.

E corridor has been used as storage since some point in the 1930s or 40s, and C, G and I blocks have somehow become lost in the mists of architectural time. (Well, technically C is probably the first floor of the Warden's residence, but it has pretty much never been called that, or been available to students).

Interestingly, one of the rooms in E corridor has a fireplace which still contains ash, and one of the other rooms, the hall archive, contains student records going back probably 60 or 70 years. It's quite cool if you ever get a chance to go up there.
Reply 12
I've got an offer for a shared en-suite, I'm so excited :biggrin: now I just have to get the grades..
Reply 13
Original post by Jess6893
I've got an offer for a shared en-suite, I'm so excited :biggrin: now I just have to get the grades..

Ahh you're from Lowestoft! I live in Wrentham.

What high school do you go to?
Reply 14
Original post by s1mon
Ahh you're from Lowestoft! I live in Wrentham.

What high school do you go to?

Seriously!? That's crazy :') I went to Benjamin Britten High, how about you?
Reply 15
Im in a private en-suite and don't have a clue where ill be. Keep hearing different things from different people :/

I take it these photos are of the old part; :wink:

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Thirst
Im in a private en-suite and don't have a clue where ill be. Keep hearing different things from different people :/

I take it these photos are of the old part; :wink:

Top is old block, bottom is new block.
Reply 17

Finance accounting and management :biggrin: , yeah to be honest i just can't wa.it to start uni and it seems to be dragging :\ I think the shared ensuites have benefits too though because obviously its easier to meet people
does anyone know if the shared ensuite are mixed gender? thanks in advance for the heads up!
Reply 19
Original post by stickysquishy
does anyone know if the shared ensuite are mixed gender? thanks in advance for the heads up!

No, they're all single-sex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending