The Student Room Group

Is Hong Kong/Shanghai similar to Tokyo?

In terms of:- Whats in cities (i.e. skyscrapers,malls etc.)
-Cleanliness
-Food
-Quality of life

Just wondering if the two cities are similar

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Big difference between the 3.

Cleanliness : Tokyo > Shanghai > Hong Kong but the difference being is it depends on which part of Shanghai you go to.

Food : Cuisines vary significantly between the 3, this one depends on what is your preference.

Quality of Life : Tokyo has a more equal society. Hong Kong over 70% of the people live in council flats, the rest are in private ones which generally means they are rich. Shanghai..... you've got the very rich, rich, not so rich and poor. If you're the first 2, then your QoL is even better than that in Britain :biggrin:
Reply 2
Central Hong Kong is the same as Tokyo by your definition, the rest of Hong Kong is more like China: very dirty - foods good though.
Original post by Ewan
Central Hong Kong is the same as Tokyo by your definition, the rest of Hong Kong is more like China: very dirty - foods good though.

all of the 3 cities are better than your hometown...
Reply 4
Original post by TexasHold'emMan
all of the 3 cities are better than your hometown...

Hello again :wink: It's funny because this threads a week old and you searched for it specifically to reply to me :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Jedbrien
In terms of:- Whats in cities (i.e. skyscrapers,malls etc.)
-Cleanliness
-Food
-Quality of life

Just wondering if the two cities are similar

They are three cities. Shanghai is nowhere near HK!!

They are all very different.

HK:

-Cleanliness: Variable. Polluted everywhere, clean in top hotels, can be dirty in some places. Perfectly acceptable.
-Food: World capital of food, fact
-Quality of life: Has high GDP per capita, very materialistic, no minimum wage, poor air quality, people mostly live in tiny flats due to land prices. Culture of working long hours. If you have money, a very good lifestyle

HK is very different from mainland China

LOTS of malls and LOTS of skyscrapers. ****ing iconic skyline!

Should you visit? Hell yeah!

Tokyo:

-Cleanliness: Pretty clean, like any city it has dirt. Generally cleaner than HK.
-Food: Very good. Not as good as HK. Plus in HK you can get amazing Japanese food
-Quality of life: Generally good

Lots of malls and many skyscrapers
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by No Future
World capital of food, fact

Obviously never been to Singapore :teehee:
Reply 7
Original post by Ewan
Obviously never been to Singapore :teehee:

Obviously doesn't know where I've travelled to :teehee:
Reply 8
Obviously doesn't know where I've travelled to :teehee:

Obviously not Singapore :huff:
shanghai a place full of mainland superrich and poor as well but poor one live in tiny flat live with 120$ benefit , HK are similar to shanghai but more internationalize and massive number of super rich tokyo is probabaly better than shanghai and HK but very expensive
Original post by Ewan

my chinese friend told me east of china has very high standard of living and most of people from east coast are more well of than european people
Reply 11
Original post by boxsterboxster
my chinese friend told me east of china has very high standard of living and most of people from east coast are more well of than european people

I think in both cities there are VERY rich (way more so than most westerners) people but they are a minority when compared to the numbers of poor people. If you go to Shanghai you'll notice, especially outside the Luwan district, that a lot of people still live in tiny flats in small tower blocks, much like they do in the rest of China. I think perhaps Hong Kong has a higher concentration of wealth than Shanghai, but I suppose that's not surprising considering the population difference. Again this is just my observation but you really do notice the difference between say Central & Kowloon or Causeway bay in HK. To bring similarities I suppose Central is like a more modern Mayfair, and Causeway bay like a more run down Camden Town.
Original post by Ewan
I think in both cities there are VERY rich (way more so than most westerners) people but they are a minority when compared to the numbers of poor people. If you go to Shanghai you'll notice, especially outside the Luwan district, that a lot of people still live in tiny flats in small tower blocks, much like they do in the rest of China. I think perhaps Hong Kong has a higher concentration of wealth than Shanghai, but I suppose that's not surprising considering the population difference. Again this is just my observation but you really do notice the difference between say Central & Kowloon or Causeway bay in HK. To bring similarities I suppose Central is like a more modern Mayfair, and Causeway bay like a more run down Camden Town.

it might be true my chinese friend is from hangzhou he is rich like hell , he sort of think us westerner are poor and which is kind of truth cause most of my chinese friends are rich like hell threat money like shi-t
Original post by Ewan
Hello again :wink: It's funny because this threads a week old and you searched for it specifically to reply to me :colondollar:

yes, been stalking you online because I have a terrible crush on you!
Reply 14
yes, been stalking you online because I have a terrible crush on you!

I knew it! :colondollar: :teehee:

HK:

-Cleanliness: Variable. Polluted everywhere, clean in top hotels, can be dirty in some places. Perfectly acceptable.
-Quality of life: Has high GDP per capita, very materialistic, no minimum wage, poor air quality, people mostly live in tiny flats due to land prices. Culture of working long hours. If you have money, a very good lifestyle

Tokyo:

-Cleanliness: Pretty clean, like any city it has dirt. Generally cleaner than HK.
-Food: Very good. Not as good as HK. Plus in HK you can get amazing Japanese food

I'm pretty sure after the earth quake tokyo is not that clean anymore. Sorry for the tragic death of those innocent people by the way.

Have you ever actually lived in all those cities for a while? Where are you from? Are those just your very subjective guess or what?? Have you been to most parts of mainland china or what? Where did you get the idea that shanghai is nowhere near hk (High GDP per capita does not mean anything: the US is arguably the richest and most powerful country in the world but that does not necessarily mean they have the highest gdp per capita.Understand?)? Do you even know a vast amount of those big merchants of hongkong and even those hongkong celebrities have come to shanghai but rarely the other way around? But you are not totally wrong, hongkong is the best of the three as a global financial centre and tokyo is the most expensive.

There is a big difference among the people, I would say the most polite people are from tokyo, and the most impolite ones are from shanghai!!
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm pretty sure after the earth quake tokyo is not that clean anymore. Indeed. Now probably wouldn't be a good time to visit Japan

Have you ever actually lived in all those cities for a while? Not all, hence I didn't write about Shanghai.

Are those just your very subjective guess or what?? No, they are based on my experiences. By definition, opinions and experiences will be subjective.

Have you been to most parts of mainland china or what? No, it's a huge country. I would be surprised if many people had

Where did you get the idea that shanghai is nowhere near hk Ever seen a map of the world?

(High GDP per capita does not mean anything.Understand?)? Yes it does. Understand??

Do you even know a vast amount of those big merchants of hongkong and even those hongkong celebrities have come to shanghai but rarely the other way around? Well I never! :rolleyes:

But you are not totally wrong, Wrong about what?

You don't like my opinions, so you think I'm making it up or haven't been to those places?
(edited 13 years ago)
You don't like my opinions, so you think I'm making it up or haven't been to those places?

I never said I don't like your opinion and I don't think you are making it up
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't think you make it up, it is just your opinion. Yes, sure you have been to all those places and maybe you are originally from one of those places, but that is very different from living in one of those places for quite a while.

How would you know whether I have lived there or not? I never said I had been to all those places, learn to read.

Anyway, you totally overexagerated it by saying shanghai is nowhere near hongkong or tokyo.

I never said that at all, you are making things up.

I said HK was nowhere near Shanghai or vice versa, the cities are far away from one another geographically, because the OP implied they were "the same" in some way. I did not mention Tokyo in this regard

But yes, the people living in those cities are really not on the same level. I don't like those rude people who always jump the queue, push around and talk loudly in public places.

This is true, but I never said the people in Shanghai weren't on the same level. You seem to have totally misunderstood my posts

bold
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19

HK:

Tokyo:

Being a Cantonese speaker I am more bias towards Hong Kong as a travel destination and I found your assessment fair, however, Hong Kong does have a minimum wage now but it's just £2.50 or something.

Quick Reply

Latest