The Student Room Group

PGdip in Adult Nursing

Hello :smile:
Has anyone applied/is applying for the post grad diploma in adult nursing?
Have you heard back from any unis yet?
I applied last week to Southampton/Sheffield/TVU/Middlesex/Kings

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied to Soton 2 weeks ago...but haven't heard anything yet :frown:

Have you received any replies from the Unis?
Reply 2
Just applied to King's (after my plan A failed miserably!)
Reply 3
Hi,

I'm sending my applications off on Monday/Mental for the PGdip in Mental Health Nursing. Sorry to hijack the thread but I can't find any for this course and wanted to talk to other people in the same position.

I'm applying to Northumbria, Sheffield Hallam, Essex and TVU.

I'm keen to apply to some in London, i.e King's but I'm not too sure if I'd be able to afford living in London. I'm in Manchester but did the last 2 years of my undergraduate at Reading and managed just fine but looking at the living costs, ie rent, of London terrified me, to say the least.

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 4
Original post by MissTee101

Sorry to hijack the thread but I can't find any for this course and wanted to talk to other people in the same position.

No worries about hijacking this thread...not much going on here so it's good to get some chat going!

TBH I can't find much info regarding people who have applied to any branch of the PGDip...it'd be good to hear from others who have applied or who went through the application process last year.

apotoftea...you heard anything yet? I'm still waiting and getting more anxious by the day :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by MissTee101

I'm keen to apply to some in London, i.e King's but I'm not too sure if I'd be able to afford living in London. I'm in Manchester but did the last 2 years of my undergraduate at Reading and managed just fine but looking at the living costs, ie rent, of London terrified me, to say the least.

Don't forget though that the NHS bursary will be bigger if you study at King's. Think it's currently just under £8k per year. And even with rent of say £400 a month for 12 months, you'd still be left with a rough budget of £60 a week.

Original post by basil
No worries about hijacking this thread...not much going on here so it's good to get some chat going!

TBH I can't find much info regarding people who have applied to any branch of the PGDip...it'd be good to hear from others who have applied or who went through the application process last year.

apotoftea...you heard anything yet? I'm still waiting and getting more anxious by the day :s-smilie:

I don't have any info either (although I have studied at postgrad level so know what it's like not being an undergrad). I've had the email about the King's myapplication portal (which I've used before), bar that nothing. Just hope they look past my PS which was written for something different...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Hello!

It's great to find other pgdip applicants :smile:
I have an interview in Sheffield at the end of the month and one at Kings in May. Both of these were given within a month of applying so not too long to wait!

I haven't heard back from the other three unis yet but from what I gather they are swamped with applications - definately try and get yours in soon.

Any updates on your applications? - Best of luck!
Hi everyone,
I recieved an email from Kings today saying they would like to offer me a place on condition of my APEL forms. I was just wondering how likely it is that they would not offer a place even if you have 575 hours. I have abou 250 hours so far but about to start a HCA job which will bring me well over 575 hours. Has anyone been through this before? Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by somersetblue
Hi everyone,
I recieved an email from Kings today saying they would like to offer me a place on condition of my APEL forms. I was just wondering how likely it is that they would not offer a place even if you have 575 hours. I have abou 250 hours so far but about to start a HCA job which will bring me well over 575 hours. Has anyone been through this before? Good luck!

I would think on the condition that you meet 575 hours you have the place!

I've been given selection days by Southampton and Uni of W. London (TVU) now too - so thats within 5 weeks of applying which is pretty good :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by somersetblue
Hi everyone,

When I emailed them to ask about the hours, they just said that as long as it's completed by August, it shouldn't be a problem (mine's through voluntary work).
Reply 10
I think they have changed the entry requirements at King's, I'm pretty sure when I read them a few days back that the hours had to be paid work, not voluntary.

Double check if I were you! APEL is easy enough, I had no experience when I filled in mine and just relied on uni stuff.
All it says is this: '575 hours (4 months full-time) social / healthcare related (patient contact care) experience'

They didn't seem too bothered when I emailed a couple of weeks back...
Reply 12
Just checked it again - I assumed by 'full time' it meant you were a full time paid employee, although I suppose you could be a full time volunteer!

Well done on getting a place! King's is a great uni to study nursing :smile:
Original post by Popsicle
Just checked it again - I assumed by 'full time' it meant you were a full time paid employee, although I suppose you could be a full time volunteer!

Well done on getting a place! King's is a great uni to study nursing :smile:

AFAIK the full time comment is just for applicants to gauge an idea of how much is needed, whether you do it full time or part time.
Thank you for the replies! :smile:

I think I'm going to go ahead and just apply to a London uni and see how that goes.

Now my only dilema is whether to go for a September or January intake? Ideally, I would prefer a January start date (I'm currently leaning towards Sheffield as a first choice but I havent decided yet). January simply because this September I'll be making my final payment on a career and development loan and would be in a much better position financially after that.

The only problem is I'm getting family pressure to go for a September start date simply "just in case the course and/or funding has changed by January" because of all the NHS changes and what not. My logic is surely any such change would be announced well in advance?

Anyhoo, I can't believe some of you already have offers! Well done!
I'm Still chasing up my manager for my referee as she's been on annual leave and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's done before May.
Hello eveyone,
nice to have some other people that have applied for the pg diploma for nursing. I've applied the child branch at City and Kings. Got a place for City starting September.
Kings sounds like a great place to study it but i wouldn't meet the 575 hours of healthcare experience in my current job as a nanny.
MissTee, it must be a hard decision to make about when to apply. If you apply now you have nothing to lose and it does keep your options open for September. I know that the funding could change, hard to
know how much though. Hope you get your reference soon :smile:
Somersetblue sounds like you're well on the way to completing your 575 hours, plenty of time till August.
Feel excited at the prospect of studying again. :smile:
Hi Sarah,

Congratulations for your place at City!
Do you already live in London or will you be moving from outside? Have you already finalised your accommodation or will you be doing this much later?
*So many questions*
Reply 17
Hey

I'm currently on a PGdip course for adult nursing. I applied to kings and found the rent down there was just too much even with the increase to the bursery. Ended up in Sheffield which is much more affordable.
Reply 18
Original post by cragdale
Hey

I'm currently on a PGdip course for adult nursing. I applied to kings and found the rent down there was just too much even with the increase to the bursery. Ended up in Sheffield which is much more affordable.

I have my Sheffield interview tomorrow :smile: Whats it like being a nursing student there?
Hi Miss Tee,
Not currently living in London but think i'll live with some family in SE.
Rent is so expensive, would love to live in a shared house but realistically
can't afford the rent. Living at home right now and need to start saving up a bit!
How about yourself, would you need to move away from home to study?

No worries about the questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending