The Student Room Group

black scientists? music and football??

Has there ever been a black scientist who has achieved something notable? (not rhetorical)

There has been a lot of activity in the forums and news regarding black underachievement.

I feel we should always aim to educate and aid fellow civilians to better themselves as it will only help each and every one of us in the long term.

We would defenitely worry less about becoming a victim of a mugging, car jacking, robbery, murder etc.

I have noticed especially those from poorer backgrounds, black boys always have aspirations to become one of 2 things: musician or footballer.

They see other black folk who have 'made it big' in these industries and feel comfortable with the idea of being involved in these industries.

Obviously very few of them make it, and by acquiring few relevant skills, chase riches in the underworld (glamorized by hip hop).

They need role models. Next time bbc or ch4 decide to involve an entrepreneur in a programme, i suggest using a successful black businessman (black dragon??). hollywood needs more black guys in similar roles.

i kno shia was ok in wall street 2 but couldn't 50 have played the character as well?
Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Pfff, I'll big up my community....

Somali scientists

Spoiler

Somali Entrepreneurs

Spoiler

Somali Authors

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Why can you only be inspired by someone of your own race? I'm of the asian persuasion, but if I see a good role model they will inspire me no matter what race they are.
Reply 6
Original post by pol pot noodles
Why can you only be inspired by someone of your own race? I'm of the asian persuasion, but if I see a good role model they will inspire me no matter what race they are.

too complex of a matter to get into atm, maybe another time
Reply 7
There are lots of black role models. For example:

Spoiler

Reply 8
Neil deGrasse Tyson immediately springs to mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending