The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official Rosebery thread thing 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To those choosing Rosebery - great choice, you won't regret it. And if you do, there's always people in other halls who will be willing to trade for a Rosebery room!

candii - Hmm, twin rooms generally are not oversubscribed, and there are only a few. I would email Rosebery if you really don't want a twin room.

a&f - that's fine, ask as many questions as you want. There are usually 26 people per floor, two sets of toilets on each floor (girls and boys). Within each toilet there are three showers. That means that it's roughly 4 per shower. When all the showers are working there's usually no issues, and you can always go up or down a floor if there are.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
Hi there,

I am startng my MSc in Sept. Rosebery is one of the few halls which states a price range instead of a concrete rent. I am wondering whether postgraduates are the ones who usually have to pay more?
Thanks in advance!
Reply 22
a&f: Feel free to ask as many questions as you have. That's the whole point of this thread! In the Rosebery Wing, there are three showers on each floor for each gender (six altogether). I'd say there are around 25 people on each floor. Rosebery is open plan though, so you are able to use showers on any floor. As such, people don't tend to queue for showers (if that was what you were worrying about). They are cleaned daily.

candii: On my form, I put that my first preference was to have a single room and ended up with a twin. This would imply that twins are undersubscribed, however it is hard to say. A lot of people are willing to swap their single rooms at other halls just to be at Rosebery. Obviously those on a tighter budget are also keen to be in a shared room. I wouldn't worry too much if I was you. Loads of room swaps take place in the first few weeks of term (any room you have at Rosebery will be in demand). Also I think there are only 13 twin rooms at Rosebery anyway, so the chances are pretty small.
Reply 23
(Whoops, I hadn't seen that Rafie had already answered those questions. I guess it is encouraging to see that we have almost identical answers though!)

sschu: In the past, most PGs have been placed in the Myddelton Wing which is slightly more expensive.
Reply 24
Original post by Rafiel

candii - Hmm, twin rooms generally are not oversubscribed, and there are only a few. I would email Rosebery if you really don't want a twin room.

Original post by Hollie -

candii: On my form, I put that my first preference was to have a single room and ended up with a twin. This would imply that twins are undersubscribed, however it is hard to say. A lot of people are willing to swap their single rooms at other halls just to be at Rosebery. Obviously those on a tighter budget are also keen to be in a shared room. I wouldn't worry too much if I was you. Loads of room swaps take place in the first few weeks of term (any room you have at Rosebery will be in demand). Also I think there are only 13 twin rooms at Rosebery anyway, so the chances are pretty small.

Thanks for your comments, really appreciate it. I only saw them today, but I already had emailed the Accommodation Office, I just said that I didn't want a twin room. But if I do get one, how did you find your experience sharing with someone Hollie? Because I don't want to feel like I can't be as comfortable as I want to be in my own room. Have you ever felt like that?

Thanks
Reply 25
hi there I have a friend who may be coming to rosebery next year and has a few questions....

-what are the differences between rosebery avenue and the myddleton wing besides price? do undergrads get places in the myddleton wing? and do you share facilities in terms of the common room etc?

-what's the surrounding area like?

cheers
Reply 26
candii: No worries - glad you are finding this thread useful! I know how you feel because I wasn't looking forward to the prospect of sharing a room, however it turned out to be amazing. I was very lucky with my roommate (she is now one of my best friends at LSE), and being in a twin room meant that there was always somebody to talk to. Because our room was so big, it was an amazing social space and I attribute that to one of the reasons why I settled in so quickly. (Also, a twin room is ridiculously cheap (in relative terms)!)

paterson10:

The Rosebery wing has a different atmosphere as it is mostly UG (the Myddleton wing is definitely quieter). Myd has a better kitchen (larger and more facilities). I'm not sure about the relative size of rooms - perhaps Rafie could comment on that.

Yes, some UGs were placed in Myd this year. As mentioned above, you can always switch rooms once you get to Rosebery (so if you decide you want to be in the other wing and have found someone who wants to swap with you, you can ask reception to organise a swap).

There is a TV room, canteen, garden and bar (the Facebook group and website have photos). There are also conference room facilities beneath the Myd Wing that can be used for quiet study when they are not being used for conferences. These are facilities that can be used by the whole of Rosebery (both wings). In the Rosebery Wing, each floor has a kitchen, two toilets and three showers. I'm not sure of the ratios in the Myd Wing.

Islington is amazing - trendy area with many bars, good shops, good bus routes, nearest tube station is Angel (5 minute walk).
Reply 27
(the Myddleton wing is definitely quieter). Myd has a better kitchen (larger and more facilities). .

The Myddleton Wing doesn't have any ovens in the kitchens!
Reply 28
Original post by eivoquraf
The Myddleton Wing doesn't have any ovens in the kitchens!

Rosebery has ovens?! I so didn't know that haha :tongue: What are the kitchens like?
Reply 29
Original post by Ooo'Yeah
Rosebery has ovens?! I so didn't know that haha :tongue: What are the kitchens like?

"Ovens": http://www.electricshop.com/content/ebiz/electricshop/invt/mc112w/MC112W_l.jpg

Standard kitchen layout is one tall larder fridge, one under-the-counter freezer, microwave, kettle, oven/hob thing, small eating table.

The kitchens are pretty cramped.

I think there are photos on the Rosebery FB group so you should prob check that out for some visuals.
Reply 30
The Rosebery Wing's ovens are more like grills. For a decent meal, a lot of people go down to the canteen (or just stick to using the hob/microwave/grill).
Reply 31
can we have fridges in our rooms?
Reply 32
Yep, quite a few people have fridges in their rooms. You are able to store it in the storage room over the holidays, instead of putting a suitcase in there.
Reply 33
candii: No worries - glad you are finding this thread useful! I know how you feel because I wasn't looking forward to the prospect of sharing a room, however it turned out to be amazing. I was very lucky with my roommate (she is now one of my best friends at LSE), and being in a twin room meant that there was always somebody to talk to. Because our room was so big, it was an amazing social space and I attribute that to one of the reasons why I settled in so quickly. (Also, a twin room is ridiculously cheap (in relative terms)!)

Thanks this puts my mind at ease, I really hope I get Rosebery now. Do you find it annoying having to move everything out at Christmas and Easter? And also what do you think helped make your first year sociable, and if you had to do it again, what would you do differently?
Reply 34
Yeah, moving things out in the holidays is a pain, but a lot of international students rent their rooms over the holidays and so you can always leave some stuff with them. (Looking on the bright side, I guess it means that you know your room is getting a deep clean every 10 weeks!)

The Rosebery Committee organise loads of events, so going along to them really helps getting to know people. During Freshers' Week, there are quite a few LSE events, but Rosebery do loads more on top of that for the residents. Also, everyone at Rosebery is like-minded in wanting to be sociable (hence choosing the hall) and therefore it isn't really that hard to get to know people. I think the size of the hall helps with this - large enough so that you can find your type of people, but not too large so that you don't know everyone.
Reply 35
do you know if rosebery will become catered with no opt out next year?
Reply 36
These rumours have been circulating, but unfortunately we haven't heard anything official. If we do hear anything, we'll post something on this thread to keep everyone updated.
Reply 37
Yeah, moving things out in the holidays is a pain, but a lot of international students rent their rooms over the holidays and so you can always leave some stuff with them. (Looking on the bright side, I guess it means that you know your room is getting a deep clean every 10 weeks!)

The Rosebery Committee organise loads of events, so going along to them really helps getting to know people. During Freshers' Week, there are quite a few LSE events, but Rosebery do loads more on top of that for the residents. Also, everyone at Rosebery is like-minded in wanting to be sociable (hence choosing the hall) and therefore it isn't really that hard to get to know people. I think the size of the hall helps with this - large enough so that you can find your type of people, but not too large so that you don't know everyone.

So, if you wanted to be a party animal. You would find people with the same intentions at Rosebery?
Not that I'm saying I do want to be, but it is good to know that I wouldn't be with people who just stay in their rooms all the time.
Reply 38
There's a good number of people who like to go out clubbing, but a decent amount that are sociable and prefer not to. You get both types and Freshers' Week caters for that. There are a few people who stay in their rooms all the time, but it's quite rare in the Rosebery Wing. Everyone tends to know everyone. It's a really friendly hall.
Reply 39
There's a good number of people who like to go out clubbing, but a decent amount that are sociable and prefer not to. You get both types and Freshers' Week caters for that. There are a few people who stay in their rooms all the time, but it's quite rare in the Rosebery Wing. Everyone tends to know everyone. It's a really friendly hall.

How relaxed is the Hall in letting people stay the night. How many nights are allowed max. (consecutively and per term) and how many people max?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending