The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UEAAccommodation
Oh, and as for storage space, it's different in each type of accommodation. Norfolk/Suffolk Terrace rooms have drawers under the bed that you can store things in.

No catch, no deposit. There is really no point in us asking for one! Why would we want to penalise students and ask for a load of money up front BEFORE you have got your loans? It doesn't make sense. As long as you arrange how you are going to make payment within 28 days of arrival there is nothing to worry about. The first payment fro a lot of students make for accommodation is not until November.

If stuff gets broken while you are here we will bill you for it seperately. We only charge the exact amount of a job when it comes to maintenace so if we are charged £28.47 for a replacment of something broken that's all we pass on. There may be a small admin charge if we have to do a lot of detective work to find out who caused a problem but as long as people are honest with us we don't penalise them. My advice is if something gets broken in your flat and we ask who did it just come and see us, we're not scary and won't have a go at you. We just want to know who to charge for it.

I have never really understood why some Universities do insist on a deposit for their own accommodation. If a student has confirmed that they are coming to their course I can't really see why the Uni would then want extra security on top of that.

That's just how we do it though. I'm sure some of my collegues from accommodation around the country would very much disagree with me.

Gah tell that to Birmingham please, they wanted a deposit of £550ish :/ You're right, you guys way is logical and a lot cheaper.

Thank you!

It's really handy that you're on here :tongue:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by makingamemory
Gah tell that to Birmingham please, they wanted a deposit of £550ish :/ You're right, you guys way is logical and a lot cheaper.

Thank you!

It's really handy that you're on here :tongue:

Sorry run out of rep, but if I could I would rep you. Birminghams whole accomodation thing is stupid especially being first come first served, so your penalised if they take longer to make a decision, or if you dont want to rush into making one.
I'm a Canadian, most likely going to UEA to pursue a post-grad program. The program starts in late September. I'm not positive I will take UEA residence accommodation because I do not want to sign a contract.

Would I be crazy to show up in mid-September without accommodation locked down? AKA: hoping to find it in the two weeks leading up to school - will I be out of luck or forced to live in a crack den?

Thanks
gumtree.com
Plenty of foreign students study at the UEA with no qualms about signing the contract. My understanding is that if you have a genuine reason which necessitates leaving UEA accommodation, they can end your contract without penalties and you will be refunded the remainder of any monies paid in advance but as I said, this is for genuine reasons only. That aside, I think you should seriously consider speaking with the UEA accommodation office directly about this as they will have plenty of experience with local housing for students.
How does applying for accom. work? I assume UEA send an email and we fill out a form? -whats date can we apply again? ..also, I was wondering whether anyone has completed student finance? does it have to be done before this month? cons of doing it late?

Sorry for the on-slaught of Q's :frown: Just having a moment of panic!
Original post by High As A Kite
How does applying for accom. work? I assume UEA send an email and we fill out a form? -whats date can we apply again? ..also, I was wondering whether anyone has completed student finance? does it have to be done before this month? cons of doing it late?

1) I'm not 100% sure, but I would imagine UEA will send us an email when we can apply, they seem good with sending emails. If not then go the accomodation section of the website.
2) It says on the website that accomodation applications will open in May, not sure what date, but as its not first come first served it doesn't really matter. We have until the end of August to apply. (Though from looking through this thread from 09 & 2010, people who waited until after results day to apply, perhaps because UEA was their insurance, ended up in a shared room in Norfolk/Suffolk for the first couple of weeks, so I'd apply by the start of August.)

Student finance has to be done by the 31st May to guarentee you get the money on time, if you haven't done it by then your money may be delayed. Remember it doesn't usually come in until a few days after freshers starts, so you will need some of your own money with you to tide you over.

Hope that helps!
Quite sure the accommodation office doesn't deal with local housing for students. The UEA students union runs Home Run which is where most students find their 2nd and 3rd year accommodation.

The thing is no matter where you get accommodation from you're going to have to sign a contract. Its very, very hard to find a landlord that doesn't require it and normally they're really expensive. When I moved to Dundee (Scotland) for two months a single room in a very very big shared house cost me more than staying on campus.

You could probably find somewhere to live but you'd be best going for the uni accommodation.
Original post by High As A Kite

I've finished student finance. You have until the 30th May, I think before it's late. After that you might not get your loan on time and student finance will inevitably lose something and ask for you to resend it so it's better that you get it sorted out ASAP.
I don't know about accomodation but yeah, I'd imagine they'd send an email. :smile:
Original post by jelly1000
Sorry run out of rep, but if I could I would rep you. Birminghams whole accomodation thing is stupid especially being first come first served, so your penalised if they take longer to make a decision, or if you dont want to rush into making one.

which is why i said they were the worst in their questionnaire when they asked me to compare whether it was value for money compared to my other Uni choices, ahhh they wish. Value if I had a money tree or something
which is why i said they were the worst in their questionnaire when they asked me to compare whether it was value for money compared to my other Uni choices, ahhh they wish. Value if I had a money tree or something

Good! I'm already thinking about all the clothes/alcohol/books/shoes I can buy with the £1,300 I will be saving in accomodation costs by not going there.
Original post by jelly1000
Good! I'm already thinking about all the clothes/alcohol/books/shoes I can buy with the £1,300 I will be saving in accomodation costs by not going there.

Ooo never thought of that :smile: and Norwich is great for shopping apparently. Then the train fare to/from bham NS (i'll prob get that bus pass thing, it'll seem like I have an oyster card again haha)
and the energy we'll save not having to walk 20 minutes to the campus.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ooo never thought of that :smile: and Norwich is great for shopping apparently. Then the train fare to/from bham NS (i'll prob get that bus pass thing, it'll seem like I have an oyster card again haha)
and the energy we'll save not having to walk 20 minutes to the campus.

It's only £5-6 with a railcard from Liverpool Street to Norwich.
If you go from Birmingham to Sheffield and then Sheffield to Norwich you can do it for £20 if you book ahead. Save 1/3 with a railcard. Even cheaper possible if you do Brum to Marylebone and then Liverpool St to Norwich.
Original post by Matureb
If you go from Birmingham to Sheffield and then Sheffield to Norwich you can do it for £20 if you book ahead. Save 1/3 with a railcard. Even cheaper possible if you do Brum to Marylebone and then Liverpool St to Norwich.

Isn't Sheffield kind of in the wrong direction to get to Norwich?
Yes, but it saves my daughter a fortune by going that route. And it is a lot quicker than going by coach. She didnt book in time this hol so instead of costing her £66 by train from Aberystwyth to Thetford (change Brum) she had to get the coach from Aber to Brum to Cambridge to home. 10 hours and £100.
It helps that her sister is at Sheffield so she can break the journey.
Keeping an eye on the Travelodge site often makes it cheaper to get a £10 train from Aber to London, spend the night in London and then £8 out of London.
Original post by Matureb
Yes, but it saves my daughter a fortune by going that route. And it is a lot quicker than going by coach. She didnt book in time this hol so instead of costing her £66 by train from Aberystwyth to Thetford (change Brum) she had to get the coach from Aber to Brum to Cambridge to home. 10 hours and £100.
It helps that her sister is at Sheffield so she can break the journey.
Keeping an eye on the Travelodge site often makes it cheaper to get a £10 train from Aber to London, spend the night in London and then £8 out of London.

Also, if you book via megatrain, you can often get tickets from Sheffield to Norwich and reverse for under £10. They start as cheap as £1 + 50p booking fee. I live in Manchester so I've frequently used megatrain to get from Norwich to Sheffield and then paid the bit extra to stay on the train until Manchester.

EDIT: Scrap that - I've just been on megatrain attempting to book my next lot of tickets and it seems the Norwich/Sheffield route is no longer available :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi everyone. Just saw the questions about when the application form is going to be available. I'll be honest with you here and tell you I don't know! That's why we say "May" and are no clearer than that. We just have a couple of changes and updates to make to our computer systems and then we will be ready to go. It will probably be the middle of the month.

You will probably get an email from us here at the UEA when it is but I'll make sure everyone on here is the first to know when it is live.
Hi everyone. Just saw the questions about when the application form is going to be available. I'll be honest with you here and tell you I don't know! That's why we say "May" and are no clearer than that. We just have a couple of changes and updates to make to our computer systems and then we will be ready to go. It will probably be the middle of the month.

You will probably get an email from us here at the UEA when it is but I'll make sure everyone on here is the first to know when it is live.

Will it be a form you fill out online or will it be one you print and send off?
Reply 1239
Original post by mobius323
Will it be a form you fill out online or will it be one you print and send off?

It's all completed online :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending