University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by radicalace
out of curiosity, when you say that catered halls have to vacate over small holidays, where do they go, usually?

Home, I would guess 99% of the time.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 101
Just got my accommodation offer :biggrin:, I'm in JoFo
The Coppice Flr 1 Flat 14!!
Anyone else in there, or in JoFo at all?
woohoo got my accomodation! In beaumont hall block 1 :biggrin: woulda preffered if it wasn't on the ground floor but atleast everything is sorted...almost
Reply 103
hey does anyone know what the 'premium flat' accommodation type in JoFo is like??
Reply 104
Original post by odacel
In the Beaumont blocks it seems like boys are on the ground floor and girls on 1st, so maybe it's fine you're on the ground floor :tongue:

Yep. This is the case for Beaumont (although I can only speak for old court- Blocks 1-4) and several of the other halls/ houses too.
Reply 105
ahhh people better not steal JoFo away from me :biggrin:

just sent my application off now, just need to get the results :smile:

JoFo Premium + Self Catered
JoFo Premium Self Catered
Jofo Premium + Catered
JoFo Premium Flat
Jofo Single Self Catered
GMS Premium Self Catered

That's my application :smile:
Reply 106
Original post by Hardie
ahhh people better not steal JoFo away from me :biggrin:

just sent my application off now, just need to get the results :smile:

JoFo Premium + Self Catered
JoFo Premium Self Catered
Jofo Premium + Catered
JoFo Premium Flat
Jofo Single Self Catered
GMS Premium Self Catered

That's my application :smile:

I did this too! 5 John Foster and 1 GMS :tongue: except I put catered down first :smile:
Reaaaallyyy hope I get JoFo too.
Original post by odacel
In the Beaumont blocks it seems like boys are on the ground floor and girls on 1st, so maybe it's fine you're on the ground floor :tongue:

I'm in Beaumont Block 2, Ground Floor but I'm a girl, hahaha :smile:
Reply 108
I got given Nixon Court after not getting John Foster, at first I was pissed, but then I realised how much money I was saving!! And no buses ever, even to town! However, my flat has had so many problems, its not at all premium! If saving money is what you're after go for it.

They have built new accommodation on the site but the rooms are going for around £4500 its Luxury living but...
Reply 109
Original post by Mudya
I got given Nixon Court after not getting John Foster, at first I was pissed, but then I realised how much money I was saving!! And no buses ever, even to town! However, my flat has had so many problems, its not at all premium! If saving money is what you're after go for it.

They have built new accommodation on the site but the rooms are going for around £4500 its Luxury living but...

How much nicer are the rooms and do they justify the £4500 ?

I only applied for Nixon and Opal as I didn't fancy the bus from Oadby every day....... now I'm hearing negatiev things which is a bit off putting.
Reply 110
Original post by BigV
How much nicer are the rooms and do they justify the £4500 ?

I only applied for Nixon and Opal as I didn't fancy the bus from Oadby every day....... now I'm hearing negatiev things which is a bit off putting.

The rooms in new Nixon are obviously going to be pretty substantial. They are all double en-suite rooms, wifi, I think you have your own washing machine in your kitchen which you will share with 5 people. Your definitely going to be living in the best accommodation the university provides. If you can afford it, go for it.

I think the best thing about city living is that you are so close to the university and town, and Morrisons is 5 minutes away too.

http://www.le.ac.uk/accommodation/nixoncourt/index.html

Edit: Oops my bad, the Premium+ ensuite rooms are actually £5,439...
If your getting the full maintenance loan and grant (£6403) - that will leave you with £964, will that be enough for books, laundry, shopping and a social life? And remember if your not getting the full loan, it won't cover it. If you're getting help from your parents you should be ok.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by shamim2k9
woohoo got my accomodation! In beaumont hall block 1 :biggrin: woulda preffered if it wasn't on the ground floor but atleast everything is sorted...almost

How long did it take for you to get a reply? I only applied a couple of days ago cos I got my offer quite late and I'm worried I'll end up in Digby :s-smilie: I've heard it's quite bad.
I've got an unconditional though, does that mean I'm more likely to get first choice?
Original post by Snap.Crackle.Pop.
How long did it take for you to get a reply? I only applied a couple of days ago cos I got my offer quite late and I'm worried I'll end up in Digby :s-smilie: I've heard it's quite bad.
I've got an unconditional though, does that mean I'm more likely to get first choice?

Mine took about 3 weeks :rolleyes: and its very likely you'll get your first choice because of your unconditional :cool:
Reply 113
Original post by Mudya
The rooms in new Nixon are obviously going to be pretty substantial. They are all double en-suite rooms, wifi, I think you have your own washing machine in your kitchen which you will share with 5 people. Your definitely going to be living in the best accommodation the university provides. If you can afford it, go for it.

I think the best thing about city living is that you are so close to the university and town, and Morrisons is 5 minutes away too.

http://www.le.ac.uk/accommodation/nixoncourt/index.html

It is the city living aspect that appeals to me and as a "mature" student I really want self-catering too.

I see they have added the prices now (they were not available earlier in the year)....... the prices are a bit weird though; I don't understand how can a premium room at nixon can be more than a premium flat at opal.......

Also, with such a small differential in price between the rooms and studio apartments at nixon, why would anyone who can afford a premium room not just go for a flat anyway?
Reply 114
Original post by BigV
It is the city living aspect that appeals to me and as a "mature" student I really want self-catering too.

I see they have added the prices now (they were not available earlier in the year)....... the prices are a bit weird though; I don't understand how can a premium room at nixon can be more than a premium flat at opal.......

Also, with such a small differential in price between the rooms and studio apartments at nixon, why would anyone who can afford a premium room not just go for a flat anyway?

Exactly! The thing is Nixon Court is brand new, opal is older, but still really nice, so they are essentially charging you extra because everything is 'shiny' and expensive. The best thing about living in new Nixon would be knowing that nothing would ever go wrong, its more private too.

They usually group you according to sex, age and course, which is pretty nice. They have a whole block designated to mature and postgraduate students (old Nixon).
i submitted by application on the 11th march. i still havent had an allocation. is it because i have a conditional offer? or are they being slow?
Original post by odacel
Yeah, you won't get accommodation sorted out before your offer has become unconditional. Eg. you're likely to wait until August :smile:

what a drag...
thanks for clearing that up though :smile:
Reply 117
Original post by goerigi
what a drag...
thanks for clearing that up though :smile:

It isn't all bad though........... I believe they use application dates to help with the process of allocation........... so if you applied early you have a greater chance of getting your 1st choice.
Original post by BigV
It isn't all bad though........... I believe they use application dates to help with the process of allocation........... so if you applied early you have a greater chance of getting your 1st choice.

yeah i was thinking along those lines today. thanks (Y)
Reply 119
im at a boarding school at the moment, and here the houses seem to all have their own identities within the school, for example theres one house thats full of sporty people, another which is totally dominated by overseas students etc.. I was just wondering if the different halls at leicester has the same situation.

Personally im very sporty and very sociable, will plan on getting out and about alot, so if anyone could give me any feedback as to where i would be best suited that would be great.

Ill probably be looking at catered, whether its ensuite or not is fairly low on my list of importance

Quick Reply