The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2400
Good post by Chad Storm, so I'll add in more points / elaboration.

Defects in Flat
If you think you can live with a minor defect (eg wardrobe drawer cannot close properly, etc), and not report, it, don't. This is not like the SAF. At the end of your contract (presumably by the end of your school year), you will be asked to fix it, even if it was like that initially.

Radiator problems
This is variable based on University, but if you have an orientation week which is optional, your radiator may not be switched on, or rather, you can turn it on, but no heat will be emitted. Nothing much you can do about this. Unless your 'rent' is part of any orientation fees you are paying, you can only lan lan suck thumb. But if your 'rent' is part of your orientation fees, you can make a fuss, and they'll probably give you extra blankets for the night.

Body Acclimatization
Unless you've been overseas in appropriate countries, expect to feel cold for the first few nights. Daytime is still OK. Wear several jackets / buy a duvet, until the temperature doesn't bother you. When I first flew over, it was about 14 degrees at night, and was freezing. This year, I came back early, stayed at a friend's place with the radiator not working, and managed to sleep without a blanket. So you will still be acclimatized even after flying back to SG.

Medical Treatment
Is not free. Consultation is free. Unless you are very lucky to be at a University where they subsidize medicine, you will be given a form, and asked to go to the pharmacist to get the required medicine.

Racism
It exists everywhere, but it shouldn't affect you, for the main reason words like "Chink" isn't even heard in SG. At most you'll be like WTF? And no one here calls people "ah neh" or whatever... But you may get people going up to you (if you are Chinese) and say: "Konichiwa".

More pressing problem is that you'll paradoxically get people saying:
"Gosh, you speak good English for an international student"
and the same person mocking you for Singlish.

On the plus side, while British students will look very severely on "Did you cut your hair?" "No, I got my hair cut by a barber", or "On the light", and British people may comment on you speaking too fast, your vocabulary will be better than them.

On the language issue, you might even get the smarter British students asking you whether: "chee bye" is Mandarin for rain, and "chao chee bye" is Mandarin for heavy rain.
hi guys, new here.

quick question, can i take the entry requirements on webpages universities provide for their courses as a rough gauge as to what kinda grades i need?
Reply 2402
Original post by introverted
hi guys, new here.

quick question, can i take the entry requirements on webpages universities provide for their courses as a rough gauge as to what kinda grades i need?

I guess you can do so. But grades are not all that matters to getting a place. Your personal statement and teacher's reference are as important!
yeah i expected that after looking through UCAS.

sorry to keep asking questions, but im abit confused as to how you key in your grades into UCAS.
ill just put one example of what i entered into the system, correct me if im wrong!

qualification: GCE A Level
subject: physics (do i need to put H2 for this?)
quailfication date: nov 09 (i put my date of examination for this yes?)
awarding organization: CAM
grade: A

also, is it necessary to put your H1 subjects and O level qualifications?
Reply 2404

sorry to keep asking questions, but im abit confused as to how you key in your grades into UCAS.
ill just put one example of what i entered into the system, correct me if im wrong!

Not sure if I'm right but I didn't indicate H1/H2 for my subjects.

And yes I put them all down.
Reply 2405

Hi, this should be the standard format you should be keying in.

Example:
Qualification type: Singapore-Cambridge GCE Advanced Level (Do not just key in GCE A-level as there are many forms of A-levels around the world)

Date taken: 01-Dec-2008

Examining body: CIE (stands for Cambridge International Examination which is mentioned on your certificate)

Subject: Chemistry

Level: H2

Grade: A

You should key in your H1s and O-levels too.
(edited 13 years ago)
:O thanks very much! looks like i gotta redo everything. EDIT: volante too :P

anyway, anyone applying for electrical engineering in 2012?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2407
Oh, and one more interesting fact.

When people talk about Asians, they tend to mean Indians / Pakistanis / Bangladeshis. If you are Chinese and ever want to fill in what ethnic group you come from, it's also not Chinese, because that's for PRCs. So yours would be Singaporean Chinese.
Hi,

I'm new here. Will be going over to Manchester this coming September. I have already firmed my choice for nearly a month ago but has not receive my CAS number? I wonder how long does the university takes to send out CAS number for international student?

Many Thanks you!!:smile::smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2409
Original post by adidas1989
Hi,

I'm new here. Will be going over to Manchester this coming September. I have already firmed my choice for nearly a month ago but has not receive my CAS number? I wonder how long does the university takes to send out CAS number for international student?

Email them and ask. World isn't ideal after JC / Poly :smile:
Reply 2410
Original post by Narev
Email them and ask. World isn't ideal after JC / Poly :smile:

Agreeded and mails from uk to sg is notoriously slow! Anyway have u received your enrolment package? If you haven't most likely cas would be sometime after that
Original post by Narev
On the plus side, while British students will look very severely on "Did you cut your hair?" "No, I got my hair cut by a barber", or "On the light", and British people may comment on you speaking too fast, your vocabulary will be better than them.

Out of interest, what's that bit about?
Original post by adidas1989
Hi,

Hey! I'm going to Manchester this year too! Will be doing law! What course will you be doing???
Oh and what's CAS?? Sorry if it's a stupid question! XD
Reply 2413
Original post by Surreality
Out of interest, what's that bit about?

"Did you cut your hair" implies that the person cut his own hair by himself. But obviously (well, unless you're a cheapskate Asian :P), he had his hair cut by a barber.

And the "No I got my hair cut" - the (got) isn't actually proper grammar...

Although if you want to be a snooty Singaporean elite, you can actually go round correcting most British people's grammar and vocabulary, assuming NS hasn't killed off everything.

*In fact, even the 'beng'-like Singaporeans at Warwick have a better command of English than some British people I've seen...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2414
Original post by Kammylove
Hey! I'm going to Manchester this year too! Will be doing law! What course will you be doing???
Oh and what's CAS?? Sorry if it's a stupid question! XD

It's just a number you need when applying for a Visa.
Reply 2415
Oh heck, one more piece of advice.

For guys and girls who have done some work experience before coming overseas, or guys who either have:

a) been a clerk in the SAF
b) been a commander

Don't let the experience / idea of: "Going to a foreign country / dealing with different people" suddenly make you forget what you've learnt.

If something is slow, email. If they give evasive replies, f* them upside down (tactfully). etc. If something you get told doesn't seem right according to website / seniors / contract, ask, ask, and ask. Be the irritating prick you've always wished to be, but couldn't in Singapore. I've had experiences when I've been told something by a F&B outlet here, which contradicted what seniors said. Chased it up to a manager and they ended up telling me that what I thought was correct - apparently (in my opinion), they wanted students to spend more money, and purposely (?) didn't tell them there's a cheaper alternative. Also have friends dealing with (private) landlords who don't give them inventory, and then claim things are missing (but luckily this landlord was found to have not been paying taxes, so was fined instead, and stopped harassing students).

Just because it's the UK, doesn't mean it's not like Singapore where such things happen. In fact, you know in Singapore where there are unscrupulous people taking advantage of PRC and Bangladeshis because they don't understand English? It also happens in the UK, and the advantage is, (presumably), you know English, so you have the upper hand.

And also don't believe statements like:

If the coalition government in power in the United Kingdom now works well for the country, an alliance between two Opposition parties in Singapore could work just as well, said Reform Party (RP) chief Kenneth Jeyaretnam.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Narev
It's just a number you need when applying for a Visa.

Oh I see! Does the university automatically send me the CAS number or do I have to pay a deposit for the university fees first? Oh usually how long does it take for them to send me a certificate of acceptance if the university has alreay sent me a letter which states that they have given me an unconditional offer
Has anyone received an official letter of acceptance from their university yet? I have firmed an unconditional offer around 2 months ago and I have yet to receive any letters from the school, only from UCAS. ):
Original post by monchouchou
Has anyone received an official letter of acceptance from their university yet? I have firmed an unconditional offer around 2 months ago and I have yet to receive any letters from the school, only from UCAS. ):

i have, but they just categorized me together with all the local students(not as an international student) by saying that hopefully i will be able to fulfill the conditions set in august, when the results of british students come out.

so nothing about visa or anything yet. i emailed them about it but the admission comm is closed until 5 may haha
Original post by gandhistoto
i have, but they just categorized me together with all the local students(not as an international student) by saying that hopefully i will be able to fulfill the conditions set in august, when the results of british students come out.

so nothing about visa or anything yet. i emailed them about it but the admission comm is closed until 5 may haha

Thanks! I guess I should email the local office around the start of may, then. They said CAS will be sent out around this time so hopefully I'd have the letter too. I believe the letter is necessary for visa application? S: I have already applied for accommodation and everything!

Quick Reply

Latest