The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4780
Anyone got an LG Optimus 2x? How are you finding it? For £379.99 it's probably the best value dual core phone you can get. I will be installing a custom ROM first thing so the skin etc isn't much of a problem for me.
Reply 4781
Original post by G8D
Well it's definitely a bonus that it's already rooted AND LG have released source code already.

On a partly related note, with the XOOM, Sony Ericson phones and apparently Samsung devices too all come either unlocked/unlockable and with official communications from providers like this Tweet, do you think that the industry (or at least part of it) is beginning to take a new stance on the rooting community? Not merely acceptance, but encouragement?

I knew SE was doing it but didn't know about Samsung...why does HTC still release updates to block rooting on devices though?
Reply 4782
Original post by G8D
HTC want to push Sense, it's arguably the best skin on offer tbf. Not that I agree with their methods.

Maybe they will follow the example when it's seen to be an effective route publicity/profit-wise.

Motorola need to take a leaf out of Sammy and SE's book...also I think HTC need to give people the freedom to try whatever skin they want. Although people will still downgrade and root I guess...
Reply 4783
Original post by G8D
Thing is HTC is the "stylish" Android phone manufacturer, no-one else compares in that area.
I can understand why they want to keep running stylish software on it, sort of.

Yeah but at the end of the day it's Android, I see why they want to keep it but still I'd wanna have a play around like I do on my SGS. Also the whole process looks like it's more complicated on HTC devices. :K:

Having said that I do wanna have a Sense phone at some point...just to see what all the fuss is about :p:
It's pretty obvious, isn't it? In a market where most of the hardware is practically identical, the hardware manufacturers can't just run the same software too. Galaxy S 2 and Sensation (and sort of the LG Opt2x) are almost the same. The Galaxy S, Desire, Xperia 10, Nexus 1 etc were all basically identical under the hood. With very similar hardware and identical software, you'd have no real reason to choose one over another. Manufacturers need to attempt to add value (even if we all think they fail) so that you have a reason to go with one rather than the other.
If you have Android 2.2 (w/ HTC Sense) get the "Slate" theme

It's much nicer than the default one imo
I have a Wildfire at the mo, and want to root it and put a stable custom rom on it.. any suggestions?
Original post by IGetGully
If you have Android 2.2 (w/ HTC Sense) get the "Slate" theme

It's much nicer than the default one imo

How do you do this? Google doesn't seem to be able to tell me how.
Where can you see if someone quoted you because I always loose my question of
whats the difference between galaxy s and ace?

Edit why neg that? I came to ask the android a simple question because I know you guys are experts at this kind of thing. Sorry I just wanted to know, thats all :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Someone give me a good reason to root my desire
Original post by RightSaidJames
How do you do this? Google doesn't seem to be able to tell me how.

Menu -> Personalize -> Skin

Original post by blueray
Where can you see if someone quoted you because I always loose my question of
whats the difference between galaxy s and ace?

Edit why neg that? I came to ask the android a simple question because I know you guys are experts at this kind of thing. Sorry I just wanted to know, thats all :frown:

"The Galaxy Ace is a 3.5G smartphone, offers quad-band GSM and announced with two-band HSDPA (900/2100) at 7.2Mbps. The display is a 3.5 inch TFT LCD capacitive touchscreen of HVGA (320x480) resolution. There is also a 5-megapixel camera with LED flash, capable of recording videos at QVGA (320x240) resolution."

"The Samsung Galaxy S is an Android smartphone that was announced by Samsung in March 2010. It features a 1 GHz "Hummingbird" processor along with 8–16 GB internal Flash memory, a 4-inch 480×800 pixel Super AMOLED (PenTile) capacitive touchscreen display, a 5-megapixel camera and on select models, a VGA front-facing camera."

The Galaxy S is bigger but has a bigger (more importantly higher resolution) screen

It's also got a faster CPU and more memory.

tbh, unless you'll be watching movies and playing intensive games on your phone (like N64 emulators) the Galaxy Ace is the cheaper alternative

Also, on the home page on the right, it says "Who quoted me?" and I don't know who negged you buy I got negged for saying I thought a phone was ugly lol

Original post by Rizzletastic
Someone give me a good reason to root my desire

Different ROMs (including Android 2.3 ROMs)

Nandroid (takes a FULL back up of your phone,so it's exactly the same)

This means you can just back it up, flash other ROMs, mess about with it and then if you need to just restore the backup

I just feel much safer knowing that if I mess my phone up I have ClockwordMod recovery on there to reformat, flash another ROM, backup/restore with Nandroid etc...
Original post by IGetGully
Menu -> Personalize -> Skin

Hmm. That option's not there on my phone. All I can do from the Personalize menu is change wallpaper, and change "Scenes". Judging from HTC's website, Skins is a feature exclusive to more recent phones... the Desire, Legend, Wildfire (my phone) etc. don't have them.

Ah well.

Edit - I really like the look of the Wildfire S - definitely an improvement on the original, although not as stylish.
Hmm. That option's not there on my phone. All I can do from the Personalize menu is change wallpaper, and change "Scenes". Judging from HTC's website, Skins is a feature exclusive to more recent phones... the Desire, Legend, Wildfire (my phone) etc. don't have them.

Ah well.

Edit - I really like the look of the Wildfire S - definitely an improvement on the original, although not as stylish.

Ah, yeah I don't remember seeing it on my Hero (but that was 2.1)

It looks like this

Yeah... really wish I could have that!
Wildfire has one-click root as well :redface:
Original post by G8D
Root and find a theme? :wink:

My phone is unstable enough as it is, and anyway my experience of themes (on my iPod Touch, at least) is that they're either incomplete or imperfect.

Edit - does One-Click Root retain personalization, user data etc.?
Yeah it should keep everything

It was different for me as I had to downgrade first but I remember with my Hero it kept everything

The good thing about rooting is, you can make a full backup with Nandroid, reboot, test all of your themes and do whatever you want. If you don't like it, either remove it or just restore the Nandroid backup and it will be exactly the same as it was before
And is it possible to de-root? I've tried to find the right ROM for my phone before but it's not always clear which is the right one, and doing so would mean I'd lose the Vodafone modifications, which although would be a good thing in the short term (why oh why did they rename People to HTC People?), it would also mean that if it were to break they might refuse to fix it.
Yeah, this is my only problem with rooting - there's no clear way back. If I had an iPhone I'd be perfectly comfortable with Jailbreaking it like I do my iPod Touch, but that's because Apple provides the Software Restore and it is distributed unmodified by the Carriers.
And is it possible to de-root? I've tried to find the right ROM for my phone before but it's not always clear which is the right one, and doing so would mean I'd lose the Vodafone modifications, which although would be a good thing in the short term (why oh why did they rename People to HTC People?), it would also mean that if it were to break they might refuse to fix it.

It's very easy to unroot, and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find the Vodafone official ROM somewhere.

Latest

Trending

Trending