The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Groat
There are graduate schemes out there that will pay off your student loan (if you work for them for two years, I think).

Although a friend told me that not many universities will have given offers by the January 15th deadline, so it probably won't make much difference.

Hmm!

You will hear back from Cambridge by then but not the others. I didn't know you could do this either, but the only advantage you would gain (other than knowing the outcome of Cambridge) would be the myth that universities are put off by the early deadline meaning that you probably won't end up going there. Are you seriously considering those four? I thought I was being risky including Nottingham as my back-up. But I'm still torn between Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bath, Nottingham, Bristol. I don't really want to go any lower than that because I know I'm good enough for at least one of those uni's and don't want to compromise. Would you ever consider something like the Econ, Stats and Finance course at UCL?
Reply 421
Original post by SillyString
It's not the actual problem of the fees, it's more that if I got accepted, (and they were similar to EY), you get work experience and payments regardless of the university you get into. You're very likely to come out with a job offer, which takes off a lot of pressure of UCAS.
Ah well, :rolleyes: I'm going to get the finest degree £9000 can buy :tongue:

Which universities are you thinking of? After looking at the 2011 offer thread, it seems quite a few UCL, LSE and Warwick offers were given out before Christmas. It looks like my plan'll be quite a good choice!
Reply 422

Are you considering some of the gap year schemes on offer? I'm definitely going to apply to them, it will give you the security when applying to higher universities too.
Reply 423
Original post by Groat
Which universities are you thinking of? After looking at the 2011 offer thread, it seems quite a few UCL, LSE and Warwick offers were given out before Christmas. It looks like my plan'll be quite a good choice!

What would you gain from it though? There are no higher universities you could apply to if you did start getting offers back so it wouldn't surely affect the fifth university you chose. Surely you would just choose a university that is slightly lower down but not too low so that you still want to go there...
Reply 424
Original post by tateco
You will hear back from Cambridge by then but not the others. I didn't know you could do this either, but the only advantage you would gain (other than knowing the outcome of Cambridge) would be the myth that universities are put off by the early deadline meaning that you probably won't end up going there. Are you seriously considering those four? I thought I was being risky including Nottingham as my back-up. But I'm still torn between Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bath, Nottingham, Bristol. I don't really want to go any lower than that because I know I'm good enough for at least one of those uni's and don't want to compromise. Would you ever consider something like the Econ, Stats and Finance course at UCL?

Yeah, I'm very serious about the top universities. It may sound cocky, but I know I can get A*AA (and most likely better) so I don't see the point in being apprehensive. There's no point of thinking what-if in my opinion!

Also see my above post about offers from the other three before Christmas! I haven't looked into UCL's Economics, Finance and Statistics course - I'll have to look later.
Original post by Groat

I don't do my research very wisely. :smile:
I want to be sure that I can guarantee an offer from a uni or I wouldn't know what to do with myself for a year..
I'll come round to it later, I presume, or hope rather..

Original post by tateco
Are you considering some of the gap year schemes on offer? I'm definitely going to apply to them, it will give you the security when applying to higher universities too.

I was, but if I were to get an offer from both Deloitte for a year and LSE, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. <- Hopeful aspirations :rolleyes:
I can defer the entry from University, if needed, but.. I'm not sure.. I'll probably think things through after my exams.
I've still a pile of german work to do before Tuesday/ my speaking exam.

^ Yes, it is possible I am making excuses to delay heavy decisions, I don't enjoy making them
Reply 426
Original post by Groat
Yeah, I'm very serious about the top universities. It may sound cocky, but I know I can get A*AA (and most likely better) so I don't see the point in being apprehensive. There's no point of thinking what-if in my opinion!

Also see my above post about offers from the other three before Christmas! I haven't looked into UCL's Economics, Finance and Statistics course - I'll have to look later.

I know what you mean. I am going to see what my results are like come August and then decide whether to go all out risky or play it a little bit safe.

Ooh that's interesting, I know a lot of Warwick offers only got handed out in the last couple of weeks though, maybe if they see really good applicants they take them straight away.

It looks quite good to me, I'm not sure I'll be even considered by UCL because of my GCSEs and the lack of further maths... I think Cambridge or Warwick is going to be the best chance of me getting into a top 5, although I will be very happy at a top 10.
Reply 427
I don't do my research very wisely. :smile:
I want to be sure that I can guarantee an offer from a uni or I wouldn't know what to do with myself for a year..
I'll come round to it later, I presume, or hope rather..

I was, but if I were to get an offer from both Deloitte for a year and LSE, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. <- Hopeful aspirations :rolleyes:
I can defer the entry from University, if needed, but.. I'm not sure.. I'll probably think things through after my exams.
I've still a pile of german work to do before Tuesday/ my speaking exam.

^ Yes, it is possible I am making excuses to delay heavy decisions, I don't enjoy making them

But if you apply to both you keep your options open. I wouldn't know what to do either :P The only thing I don't like about Deloitte is the way that they cling onto you a bit and ask you to work for them in the holidays, making it difficult for you to explore alternative employment opportunities while at university.

It is a big decision to make, my advice would be just to keep your options open. I'm going to be applying for university, gap year schemes and if they all fail I'll probably die a bit and then pick myself up and try and do some more A-levels in my impromptu year out...
Reply 428
Original post by tateco
I know what you mean. I am going to see what my results are like come August and then decide whether to go all out risky or play it a little bit safe.

Ooh that's interesting, I know a lot of Warwick offers only got handed out in the last couple of weeks though, maybe if they see really good applicants they take them straight away.

It looks quite good to me, I'm not sure I'll be even considered by UCL because of my GCSEs and the lack of further maths... I think Cambridge or Warwick is going to be the best chance of me getting into a top 5, although I will be very happy at a top 10.

Ah yes, if my AS results are below par I will have to rethink.

I have a friend who got an offer from UCL with similar GCSEs to yours and he took up Further Maths AS a year late.

It's interesting that you feel your GCSEs aren't good enough for some places but are okay for Cambridge? Is that because you know you'll shine if you are invited to interview? If you like UCL and their course, don't be put off is my advice!
Original post by tateco
Suck at it how much? If you can still vaguely do it and think you can get through next year and come out with an A (after a lot of hard work), then you definitely have a shot at medicine. It's not like there's going to be loads of chemistry in your degree...

I'll tell you after my mocks next week...

Also I find economics much more interesting and maths is my strongest subject so I guess it's for the best really :tongue:
Reply 430
Original post by Groat
Ah yes, if my AS results are below par I will have to rethink.

I have a friend who got an offer from UCL with similar GCSEs to yours and he took up Further Maths AS a year late.

It's interesting that you feel your GCSEs aren't good enough for some places but are okay for Cambridge? Is that because you know you'll shine if you are invited to interview? If you like UCL and their course, don't be put off is my advice!

I suppose that's reassuring :smile:
I think that way because I have heard first hand from the admissions tutors that they place so much more weighting on UMS scores and many people get into there with below par GCSEs (I think this is a much better admissions strategy instead of relying heavily on GCSEs). Whereas places like UCL and LSE may have a figure in their mind and because they have less information about my AS grades than places like Cambridge they are much less likely to accept me (due to highlighted weaknesses from GCSEs but less so highlighted strengths from UMS scores)
Reply 431
Some interesting posts on this thread. What do you lot think of St Andrews and Durham?
Reply 432
Original post by sqwerty
Some interesting posts on this thread. What do you lot think of St Andrews and Durham?

Both pretty good, if I had to choose I'd go for Durham but only because I don't want to live in Scotland. Won't be applying to either though. What do you think of them?
Reply 433
tateco would you apply to UCL if there was less emphasis on GCSE?
Reply 434
Original post by tateco
I suppose that's reassuring :smile:
I think that way because I have heard first hand from the admissions tutors that they place so much more weighting on UMS scores and many people get into there with below par GCSEs (I think this is a much better admissions strategy instead of relying heavily on GCSEs). Whereas places like UCL and LSE may have a figure in their mind and because they have less information about my AS grades than places like Cambridge they are much less likely to accept me (due to highlighted weaknesses from GCSEs but less so highlighted strengths from UMS scores)

You could put your UMS scores in your reference? Also, I'm sure other universities have consideration for GCSEs like Cambridge. Did you outperform everyone in your year?
Reply 435
Original post by tateco
Both pretty good, if I had to choose I'd go for Durham but only because I don't want to live in Scotland. Won't be applying to either though. What do you think of them?

Well I live near Durham so I'll probably choose Durham, and my friend went to St Andrews open day last week and said it was really good so I'm considering there too :smile:
St Andrews is a pretty place. Haven't been to the university as of yet...
Durham's pretty swell too.

I'm still indecisive and this gets me no where :rolleyes:
Reply 437
Original post by YingYang
tateco would you apply to UCL if there was less emphasis on GCSE?

Definitely. They're the main worry for me as I'm pretty sure the rest of my application is strong. They're not bad but they're not up to the high standard the top 5 seem to want (only got 5 A*S)

Original post by Groat
You could put your UMS scores in your reference? Also, I'm sure other universities have consideration for GCSEs like Cambridge. Did you outperform everyone in your year?

Yeah if I have really good scores I'll get them mentioned. Hopefully they do. No, I would have come in the top 10/15 out of about 300-350, hopefully they won't hold me back too much :smile:

Original post by sqwerty
Well I live near Durham so I'll probably choose Durham, and my friend went to St Andrews open day last week and said it was really good so I'm considering there too :smile:

They're both really good universities, if you live up near Durham then St. Andrews shouldn't be too far either and I'd apply to both if you like those universities :smile:
Original post by tateco
I appreciate it's early but there has been a lot of questions being fired around and people wanting to discuss applications for 2012 so I thought I may as well make the thread. So, who's going to be applying for Economics next year and where are you aiming for?

Prospective Applicants for 2012:

tateco
SillyString
Psychotic546
TSR-MATT
Groat
crazycake93
sqwerty
laura94
jhthed
jamiepango
WalkerPrince
lonely_cupid
thegenius31416
YingYang
Hemzo
LebriFatali

I am :biggrin: Economics & Management at Oxford or Bristol. Otherwise I'll be applying for straight Economics or Combined Social Sciences at Durham :smile:
Reply 439
Original post by tripleeagle
I am :biggrin: Economics & Management at Oxford or Bristol. Otherwise I'll be applying for straight Economics or Combined Social Sciences at Durham :smile:

Welcome to the thread :P Just out of interest why those three universities? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending