The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Potally_Tissed
Not really. Some (but not all) of the more expensive halls tend to have a quieter atmosphere on account of being off campus or self-catered (or both), but that's quite a big generalisation.

In the expensive halls would you get put with some international students, I just imagine the ones who can afford the more expensive halls (or atleast want to) being less social possibly.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
In the expensive halls would you get put with some international students, I just imagine the ones who can afford the more expensive halls (or atleast want to) being less social possibly.

Not that I've noticed, other than John Phillips, which I think is for international students only.
Is this right?

Cheap halls = best social atmosphere, not as nice living conditions.

Expensive = least social, best living conditions (often catered).

Mid halls = a compromise of both.

I think Towers would break this assumption, as one of the most expensive halls. Rooms were refurbed last year (biggest rooms on campus so I hear..). Being catered makes it social too don't forget, if you ask anyone in Towers (myself included) they would definitely say it is very social!
Original post by JackHeskett
I think Towers would break this assumption, as one of the most expensive halls. Rooms were refurbed last year (biggest rooms on campus so I hear..). Being catered makes it social too don't forget, if you ask anyone in Towers (myself included) they would definitely say it is very social!

I wouldn't be so sure on that. The deluxe rooms in Butler are huge, and from what I've seen, bigger than the rooms in Towers.
Reply 104
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO?!
William Morris is my favourite but seems a bit out of the loop. Can anyone let me know if its not as good as being in the heart of the student village (my other choices are RigRutt and Bakewell and maybe Telford). Really in a dilemma. Any advice is welcome?!
What date do we have to sort out accommodation? I haven't even sorted student finance yet.
What date do we have to sort out accommodation? I haven't even sorted student finance yet.

Early May you get an email telling you about it all. Unconditional offer holders apply some time in late May, conditional offer holders in early June.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Early May you get an email telling you about it all. Unconditional offer holders apply some time in late May, conditional offer holders in early June.

William Morris hall looks good, can you get a meal card or use the canteens if you live there occasionally if you live there?
William Morris hall looks good, can you get a meal card or use the canteens if you live there occasionally if you live there?

Yep :smile: They are a good idea when they have something decent on the menu like their lasagne!
Original post by polka_dott
Yep :smile: They are a good idea when they have something decent on the menu like their lasagne!

Im so doing that, is William Morris a good hall to stay in?
Reply 110
Hey guys, i know how silly this question may sound but can anyone tell me what the shared bathroom facilities in the halls are like? There are no pictures posted on the website and since i am currently deciding whether to go for en suite or standard i'm quite curious. Thanks!!!
Im so doing that, is William Morris a good hall to stay in?

I do not know personally what they are like but everyone I know who lives in them loves it and a lot are going back next year so it sounds good :wink: They've reccently refurbished Bill Mo so it should be all nice and new.
Original post by elize
Hey guys, i know how silly this question may sound but can anyone tell me what the shared bathroom facilities in the halls are like? There are no pictures posted on the website and since i am currently deciding whether to go for en suite or standard i'm quite curious. Thanks!!!

I'll try and take some pictures when I get back as they won't have been used over Easter but they vary between halls (I know Royce and David Collette's shared are pretty standard but some in Cayley look more like those in school where they have various cubicles)
Reply 113
Original post by Melting Sugar.
I'll try and take some pictures when I get back as they won't have been used over Easter but they vary between halls (I know Royce and David Collette's shared are pretty standard but some in Cayley look more like those in school where they have various cubicles)

Thanks so much! That would be truly awesome!
I like the sound of Bill Mo.. really just want to apply already!! :biggrin:
One thing to mention though is that IN ALL HONESTY I think you'd could be equally happy in ANY of the halls, there is no "avoid like the plague" hall - there are upsides to all of them and I haven't come across anyone who genuinely hates their hall (because of a hall related issue).
Reply 116
I like the sound of Bill Mo but I'm applying for engineering, is this impractical? Does it take ages to get to Wolfson and the library and stuff? Would I be better going to somewhere more practical?
Original post by SArmo
I like the sound of Bill Mo but I'm applying for engineering, is this impractical? Does it take ages to get to Wolfson and the library and stuff? Would I be better going to somewhere more practical?

Don't worry about the location. You can cross the campus in under half an hour easily, probably much less on a bike. I know people who live in the middle of town but are in engineering.
Has anyone stayed in Butler Court? I don't think I can bear staying in a shared room for a year. I'd rather stay at home. :lol:

I reallyyy want Robert Bakewell, William Morris orrr Telford; I'm getting up extra early the day accommodation opens.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Has anyone stayed in Butler Court? I don't think I can bear staying in a shared room for a year. I'd rather stay at home. :lol:

I reallyyy want Robert Bakewell, William Morris orrr Telford; I'm getting up extra early the day accommodation opens.

Right here.

It's okay. Can be a bit of a pain in the arse at times. But if you get along with your room mate you're generally fine. I know a fair few people going back next year in shared rooms (I think half of the hall committee is, IIRC) or sharing a house with their room mate next year. Freshers with Butler was really good and I really enjoyed it. Personally, I wouldn't go back, but it's because I'm a private person and a bit of a recluse. I'd have a look at the deluxe rooms in Butler if you get the option (they're huge, have an en-suite, and have more fridge space than the shared flats :colonhash:).

Latest

Trending

Trending