The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

interesting

ok just seen The Fast and the furious 5. All I have to say is wow! Seriously impressed. The action was very good, the characters all played their parts well and the story itself was pretty good for an action film. The Rock was good, he's soo big now lol Tyrese provided a lot of humour and the character Han from Tokyo drift is still as cool as ever. Don't want to ruin it but I would strongly advice people to stay till after the credits...

8.5/10 film.
Reply 1322
i'm watching annie hall for the first time.

i keep on cringing and pausing it because i squirm too much.
Reply 1323
post sex 'that was nice, so nice'
'as bozack once said, there goes another novel'

i'm turning this off and going to bed
Reply 1324
Original post by lukejoshjedi
^ Lol

Will Ferell has some funny projects upcoming, including a film entirely in Spanish, the name escapes me but yeah, wow

To my mind, Will Ferrell's career's been a bit of a downward arc ever since Anchorman. He plays a good, if ridiculous and over-the-top-it's-Will-being-Will role in Zoolander and was the right person for Elf imo.

Since then though, the only Ferrell performance I've really enjoyed was his minor part in Wedding Crashers. I didn't find Talladega Nights or Stepbrothers in the least bit funny.

It might be something to do with the fact that I find his style of comedy very samey and grating. Either way, I'm interested in seeing how the comic ventures that're in the pipeline will stack up.
Just watched Terminator Salvation. Who on earth thought it was a good idea to give this franchise to McG? :facepalm2:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Welcome to the chat thread. :h:

Why thank you :smile:

I know this isn't technically film but I watched the National Theatre Live Frankenstein yesterday. It was amazing. If anyone sees it's playing at their local cinema I'd recommend it even if you haven't watched theatre before. Maybe it'll make you want to go and see the real thing.
^ Lol

Will Ferell has some funny projects upcoming, including a film entirely in Spanish, the name escapes me but yeah, wow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8DYL-9SNMg

I don't think it looks that good tbh.
Original post by internetstephen
:confused: I'd have said Depp is proven in a wide variety roles whereas DiCaprio seems to play the emotional/vulnerable character most of the time. I obviously haven't seen all of each of their films though.

ahhhh but he plays them so well fellow film fanatic
Reply 1329
I can't find anywhere near me that's still showing Submarine. :angry:

I saw Whip It for sale in HMV for £7 and I was quite tempted. Might put it on my birthday DVDs list. Ellen Page :coma:
Original post by Stray_talk
Me too :cool:

Can't wait for the next Terminator film :biggrin:

Original post by zjs
To my mind, Will Ferrell's career's been a bit of a downward arc ever since Anchorman. He plays a good, if ridiculous and over-the-top-it's-Will-being-Will role in Zoolander and was the right person for Elf imo.

Since then though, the only Ferrell performance I've really enjoyed was his minor part in Wedding Crashers. I didn't find Talladega Nights or Stepbrothers in the least bit funny.

It might be something to do with the fact that I find his style of comedy very samey and grating. Either way, I'm interested in seeing how the comic ventures that're in the pipeline will stack up.

Hmm I sort of agree with you there, he has been a bit hit and miss in films, I've found him funny in ever film since Anchorman - Stepbrothers is the exception, I haven't seen the Lost land of time or whatever that's called (Land of the Lost I think).

Sort of like Michael Cera, Steve Carell in a way that all his roles tend to be really similar and cater to a specific audience and type of humour so yeah it potentially leaves a lot of people out

Original post by Christien
Just watched Terminator Salvation. Who on earth thought it was a good idea to give this franchise to McG? :facepalm2:

I like T-Salvation :indiff: I mean when you actually watch it, it makes sense and isn't that confusing, I remember criticisms of it being really convoluted and all over the place but that isn't really true - And Christian Bale was great in it imo. What didn't you like about it?
Films watched today and yesterday:

Shrink- Believable and well developed characters and fairly good storyline- 7.5/10
Remember Me- Good acting by Pattinson, good opening and drastically unexpected ending. Fairly humdrum inbetween- 6/10
Prince of Persia, Sands of Time- Worst film I ever remember seeing. Crap locations, and takes the worst aspects from game and cinema. Acting is **** and the characters cliched enough to be comedic.
Ordinary People- Accurate portrayal of an adolescents relationships. Captures family tensions excellently. 8.5/10
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1332
What didn't you like about it?

It was ****
Reply 1333
Original post by SteveCrain
Good acting by Pattinson,

:eyebrow:

harhar; I knew there would be someone influenced enough by anti-Pattinson internet phenomena that they disregard any of his films after twilight
Can't wait for the next Terminator film :biggrin:

Hmm I sort of agree with you there, he has been a bit hit and miss in films, I've found him funny in ever film since Anchorman - Stepbrothers is the exception, I haven't seen the Lost land of time or whatever that's called (Land of the Lost I think).

Sort of like Michael Cera, Steve Carell in a way that all his roles tend to be really similar and cater to a specific audience and type of humour so yeah it potentially leaves a lot of people out

I like T-Salvation :indiff: I mean when you actually watch it, it makes sense and isn't that confusing, I remember criticisms of it being really convoluted and all over the place but that isn't really true - And Christian Bale was great in it imo. What didn't you like about it?

Well, let's see. None of the relationships rang true, except perhaps Kyle and little girl (whose whole mute gimmick pissed me off anyway). Not John and Kate, John and Marcus, Marcus and hot fighter pilot woman, Marcus and Kyle, anyone. Kate in particular exists for no reason but to be WIFE OF JOHN CONNOR, HERO OF THE RESISTANCE.

Marcus as well is a fairly horrible character. Firstly, he's incredibly unconvincing- we're given little reason for his motivations beyond saving Kyle Reese (who he didn't really like in the first place), and atoning for some vague crime he was vaguely responsible for ages ago. And don't even get me started on the accent. Secondly, that whole robot messiah thing at the end is ridiculous. He doesn't even think his decision to sacrifice himself for John over; he's just like 'yo, take my heart' and boom, problem solved. No agonizing, no thought process, no camera looming over Marcus as he's satisfied that he's finally made up for his sins, just an operation and then cut to John Connor. It's like The Force Unleashed with its whole 'we've had this awesome Marty Stu guy come along and save the day, but he's dead now because that's what continuity demands' thing, but it's even less sophisticated.

This is particularly annoying when you have another messianic figure dominating the series in John, who is well-acted but underwritten (a problem also applying to Kyle). John convincing everyone not to blow Skynet tae **** is implausible, but it'd be fine if his radio monologues were anywhere near well-written or rousing; they're not, and the one at the end in particular seeming very, very rushed.

Overall, it just seemed like a colossal waste of time. An excuse to have stuff blow up in a universe the audience is familiar with. I never thought I'd say this, but T3 looks acceptable in comparison.

edit - also, the film industry as a whole should have just banned the 'what makes a man a man' theme after blade runner
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1336
harhar; I knew there would be someone influenced enough by anti-Pattinson internet phenomena that they disregard any of his films after twilight

:lolwut:

No. He's a piss-poor actor. So bad in fact that he go acted off the screen by Pierce Brosnan in that film. That says it all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1337

Shrink- Believable and well developed characters and fairly good storyline- 7/10

Second this though gave it a 7 because I felt the ending was too predictable and could've being different. But a very good movie.

Original post by zjs

No. He's a piss-poor actor. So bad in fact that he go acted off the screen by Pierce Brosnan in that film. That says it all.

I have an illogical dislike of Brosnan. Do not like.
Original post by zjs

Every actor is piss poor alongside Brosnans' suave self-assurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending