The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And really China should be the last country mentioned in this discussion.

Theres a reason China has the West by the balls economically, and guess what it's not because they are the ones who have been importing massive amounts foreign produced goods. They are on the opposite side of that equation thanks.
i agree that small villages aren't affected at all. where i live there are no ethnic minorities at all or whatever. it seems strange now that i think about it. it would be good to mix it up a little.

having said that my area is known for an old chapel from 800AD and a church from 1100AD. i do not want a mosque to come and change the aesthetics of the area.

immigration is great but i don't agree with them getting religious rights so to speak. for example, mosques or synagogues built and maintained with our money. also, education wise religion should not come into schools with burkas and head scarves if a british person cannot wear a hat indoors. at my school in a near by town, you're allowed to wear a burka if you're muslim but i can't wear my favourite hat. now that is just stupid.
Reply 202
Even as a scot I love watching the bmw new advert as its uplifting in hard times.

I feel we knew england was dying when they lost to germany and when I saw most people at school wearing anyone but england tee shirts although places like germany have many turkish immigrants and others. Even merkel said multicultural germany had failed.
I don't think we can define britishness as most people are british but are born to foreign parents so can we tell who is british or not.
Britain is mostly a mixture of races
It's What you get for invading us 500 years ago BITCHES!!

That was a low blow i admit.... I'm sorry :frown:
Reply 204
Civilisations collapse. Hopefully ours lasts for a long time :smile:
Original post by llamalad200
immigration is great but i don't agree with them getting religious rights so to speak. for example, mosques or synagogues built and maintained with our money.

This does not happen.

also, education wise religion should not come into schools with burkas and head scarves if a british person cannot wear a hat indoors. at my school in a near by town, you're allowed to wear a burka if you're muslim but i can't wear my favourite hat. now that is just stupid.

I agree that is stupid - though it's an argument for stopping people be so daft as to ban hats, rather than join their illiberalism by banning muslim clothes. It's not the muslim's fault, after all.
Reply 206
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
Haha no, I'm applying that label to the nation's culture. Not people.
ok, well its people that have the culture. Un less you are talking about bacterial cultures.
Reply 207
Original post by Meow-wow
to be fair London is a mess of a city anyway. When i get the chance i'm straight out of this sesspit.

i don't think it's fair to move to a place and declare that you are of that nationality, you originate from your parents and so on.

"So i move to Samoa with my "English" wife, then i have kids who say they are Samoan because they live there." - you see how stupid it sounds! i think you are very stupid to pretend that the amoans are uptight about their culture as you are. you would be pleasantly suprised by how acceptng they are. Its your attitude that would cause the problem, not them.
Being british has transcended- you don't have to come from Oxford and talk dead posh to be a brit anymore. It's become more of a mindset. I mean, look at the language- Dumas, upon learning English, said that it is "just French, pronounced very badly". Our Royal Family is German. True Britons died out when the Saxons turned up- we have the Romans to thank for us being brilliant. The brilliant thing about English culture is that we don't actually have one... it's all made up of bits of everyone elses'. Britain is like the pick'n'mix of the world.
Reply 209
Original post by UpsidedownLandMan
Being british has transcended- you don't have to come from Oxford and talk dead posh to be a brit anymore. It's become more of a mindset. I mean, look at the language- Dumas, upon learning English, said that it is "just French, pronounced very badly". Our Royal Family is German. True Britons died out when the Saxons turned up- we have the Romans to thank for us being brilliant. The brilliant thing about English culture is that we don't actually have one... it's all made up of bits of everyone elses'. Britain is like the pick'n'mix of the world.

Not they did not. The vast majority of our genetic makeup can be traced to the original settlers to Britain. And the saxons, Normans, romans etc only contributed 10 - 15% of the average britons genetic makeup.
I wish people would actually do a litte bit of readin before purpotrating outdated victorian notions of the origins of the British.

Compared to the rest of the world Britain being an Island has actually had very little historical immigration (pre ww2). apart from three waves including the romans, Normans and Anglo saxons.

If you want evidence of my claims just ask, and I will post many from many academic sources
(edited 13 years ago)
firstly, what exactly does being british mean? its a subjective concept if you're talking about culture. secondly, culture changes and evolves anyway. thirdly, who gives a ****? i think people who like to hold a cultural identity or are strongly partriotic are stupid anyway, just be yourself.
Reply 211
Original post by bananaterracottapie
firstly, what exactly does being british mean? its a subjective concept if you're talking about culture. secondly, culture changes and evolves anyway. thirdly, who gives a ****? i think people who like to hold a cultural identity or are strongly partriotic are stupid anyway, just be yourself.

White british culture, tea at 4pm etc.
and you want to be a doctor?
I would f*cking love this to happen.
Reply 214
revolution is imminent
Reply 215
Original post by Jacktri
revolution is imminent

THe brits will be too busy being drunk to revolt.
Being British isn't just having one kind of genes or ethnicity. That's backward. But yes, multiculturalism does not work, it's *******s and we should be harsher on it, and retain our secular, and anglican culture.
Reply 217
Original post by Theconomist
THe brits will be too busy being drunk to revolt.

yep and we have become over reliant on the government to create an effective army and lack equipment
If Asians never came to Britain, Britain wouldnt be what it is today :smile: just thought i'd remind u
What the hell is wrong with you people? What is wrong with trying to preserve some British culture? What is wrong with being proud of your heritage and culture?

I'll put it this way, if I went to a country such as Pakistan, and wanted to alter and change their culture, I would probably be shot. They want to preserve their culture - it's natural.

Yes there is nothing wrong with having non-British people in Britain - these people are a credit and a true inspiration to our country.

Yet can you people not see that a Briton being an ethnic minority in Britain is morally wrong?

I agree to an extent, that it's great to try and include other cultures in a country, such as Indian takeaways, Nandos, Belgium beers etc... but there must be a limit.

We can't have British culture die out. It's just wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending