The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
may I ask why some of you need to re-apply? grades werent what they wanted? extra cirricular or so?
Also, what sort of gcse grades did you have? :smile: thanks
Reply 1221
Original post by Libby18
may I ask why some of you need to re-apply? grades werent what they wanted? extra cirricular or so?
Also, what sort of gcse grades did you have? :smile: thanks

because we did not receive an offer this year. I don't think grades are a big issue, the UKCAT dictates whether you get an offer in my opinion. I got 6A* 4A and 1B at GCSE which is about average for a medical applicant, and predicted A*A*A*A at A-level. A lot comes down to work experience, but at the end of the day its all down to luck.
Reply 1222
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Practice questions, definitely.

Same for abstract reasoning? I'm an utter failure at that.

Original post by laurenl93
Right, after looking through five prospectuses I've come to Tge conclusion I shouldn't ****ing bother because the ukcat will dictate where I can go

However when people say they think more people will apply in 2012 I don't think they will, for the middle class, wor cleggy doesn't seem tk mention it but we'r hit the hardest nag get literally no bursary or grant support since they've increased the threshold income cap & also people will have to be making a big decision between taking their fifth choice and getting the lowest fees, or effectively have to reapply every year after this year until they get in because noone will wanna do a fifth choice degree for 9k.

Also shocked loads of expolys want to charge 9k ?!

Whew totally didn't mean to rant :h:

So anyway, anyone thinking of going abroad during summer/after results to put on tier ps? :smile:

Ahh your post is so right.

First of all, definately right about the whole UKCAT thing. I can look, but it doesn't matter until I find out what UKCAT I've got :/

And second, excellent point about fees. I never thought of that - people won't take up their other option,because its just too expensive. I reckon if itr doesn't change, it might get to the point where only a very few non reapplicants get places. Your application is just so much stronger the second time round!
Original post by twelve
Same for abstract reasoning? I'm an utter failure at that.

I'd say so, yep. I despise decision analysis myself. :tongue:
Reply 1224
My nightmare is VR. I can't read fast enough to answer the questions well enough in the allotted time
Reply 1225
Bonjourno, so begins the second attempt at Med School.
Reply 1226
It seems there are a lot of people joining this thread recently, I thought the cut off for replies was the end of March?
Original post by Tinth
It seems there are a lot of people joining this thread recently, I thought the cut off for replies was the end of March?

I thought so too, however it seems many have gone into April. :dontknow:
Reply 1228
Original post by Tinth

Yeah it does seem so - but I guess as soon as you get rejected you're not thinking about reapplying immediately!

Either that or people are only just being told. There are places who held on until April to give out rejections.
Anyone thinking about concentrating on the UKCAT and if they fail to get a good score just giving up on thier application? I'm not sure what to do with myself right now :frown:
Original post by baztech
Anyone thinking about concentrating on the UKCAT and if they fail to get a good score just giving up on thier application? I'm not sure what to do with myself right now :frown:

Yeah, I am worried about taking it again. Because, I might end up with a lower score than before.

If I do well in the ukcat, then I know that I can get 4 interviews depending on where I apply, and from that I know that I can get at least 1 offer. Basically, it all comes down to the ukcat score. :tongue:
Original post by firestar101
Yeah, I am worried about taking it again. Because, I might end up with a lower score than before.

If I do well in the ukcat, then I know that I can get 4 interviews depending on where I apply, and from that I know that I can get at least 1 offer. Basically, it all comes down to the ukcat score. :tongue:

Which universities don't require UKCAT for graduate entry - I think Cambridge and Birmingham are two who don't? Mind, they probably have other requirements instead. :dontknow:
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Which universities don't require UKCAT for graduate entry - I think Cambridge and Birmingham are two who don't? Mind, they probably have other requirements instead. :dontknow:

Yeah, for Cambridge you have to sit the bmat and Birmingham require a first class degree, and I only have a 2.1
Yeah, for Cambridge you have to sit the bmat and Birmingham require a first class degree, and I only have a 2.1

Ah, okay. I preferred the BMAT to UKCAT. You could go through some practice papers and see how confident you are with it? I guess the worst thing about the BMAT is though that you find out the results after you've already sent off your application.

Birmingham like to think they're academically elite, don't they? :colonhash:
Reply 1234

what kind of A levels do they ask for if you're going GEM? I'd love to get into Cambridge so i can decline, lol
Reply 1235
Original post by baztech

2 rejections post interview, I'm sure you'll only get more interviews this time...as long as you improve your application, thought it would be over if you had crappy grades like me which i doubt you have

e: becca Sarah wtf you negging me? Go get laid or something
(edited 12 years ago)

Not strictly true..

I did some research into the BMAT a while ago (few months) so I could be mistaken but I'm sure I read on their website that Cambridge don't specify that you have to take the BMAT for graduate entry medicine.. but that they expect some evidence of scientific knowledge and that they would consider the BMAT as evidence :yep:

So you don't have to take the BMAT for Cambridge Graduate Entry Medicine :nah:

If you want to check this then ask Seham, she's gotten in to Cambridge GEP Medicine this year :h:
I'm pretty sure that she didn't take the BMAT :smile:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Not strictly true..

I did some research into the BMAT a while ago (few months) so I could be mistaken but I'm sure I read on their website that Cambridge don't specify that you have to take the BMAT for graduate entry medicine.. but that they expect some evidence of scientific knowledge and that they would consider the BMAT as evidence :yep:

So you don't have to take the BMAT for Cambridge Graduate Entry Medicine :nah:

If you want to check this then ask Seham, she's gotten in to Cambridge GEP Medicine this year :h:
I'm pretty sure that she didn't take the BMAT :smile:

Thanks penguin. You are the penguin. :smile:

No worries mate :h:

And away from medicine talk slightly.. I see you have gained more neg rep.. what have you done now? :colone:
Reply 1239
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
No worries mate :h:

And away from medicine talk slightly.. I see you have gained more neg rep.. what have you done now? :colone:

I was wondering this as well - how do you get so much neg rep? I've never seen you write anything neg rep-worthy :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending