The Student Room Group

Work Experience for Dentistry (Manchester Uni)

I emailed Manchester University asking them if work experience in a general Dental practice abroad is acceptable, and they said no!
I just dont understand what does it matter, so long as it is in a dental environment?!
Now i dont know what to do because my teacher said its okay. and its really hard to get wotk exp. in the UK.

Please HELP! should I go along doing work exp abroad or not?! :frown:
If Manchester is a University that you want to apply to, then no. I'm not sure about the other Universities policies on it, but I think some might also be the same.

Although I'm certain it would be a great experience, you shouldn't waste 2 weeks or whatever doing some work experience, only to find that won't be counted at interview. You could have spent these 2 weeks at another practice, or at a dental technician, dental lab etc. Dentistry is a very competitive course, so imagine if you fall short of an offer because of your lack of work experience, even though you had done it but it was just because they refused to acknowledge it!

Now i dont know what to do because my teacher said its okay. and its really hard to get wotk exp. in the UK.

Instead of relying on teachers, its best to email and check with the Universities themselves, which is what you've done (and its probably going to save you wasting time!)
Also, it isn't that hard to get work exp. in the UK.
Write a list of any holidays, weekends or days that you're available. Get out the yellow pages, or you can find online versions, and make a list of some different places. Make a list of NHS Practices, Private Practices, Community/Salaried practices, Maxfac departments in hospitals, Oral surgeons, dental laboratories and dental technicians and their contact details. Then ring them up, so if you need to organise anything over the phone you have your available dates in front of you.. saves a lot of time and makes you look like you're very organised. Once you've organised a place with, for example, a Maxfac surgeon for a specific week or whatever, cross it off your list and move on so you get good variety.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by racheatworld
If Manchester is a University that you want to apply to, then no. I'm not sure about the other Universities policies on it, but I think some might also be the same.

Although I'm certain it would be a great experience, you shouldn't waste 2 weeks or whatever doing some work experience, only to find that won't be counted at interview. You could have spent these 2 weeks at another practice, or at a dental technician, dental lab etc. Dentistry is a very competitive course, so imagine if you fall short of an offer because of your lack of work experience, even though you had done it but it was just because they refused to acknowledge it!

Instead of relying on teachers, its best to email and check with the Universities themselves, which is what you've done (and its probably going to save you wasting time!)
Also, it isn't that hard to get work exp. in the UK.
Write a list of any holidays, weekends or days that you're available. Get out the yellow pages, or you can find online versions, and make a list of some different places. Make a list of NHS Practices, Private Practices, Community/Salaried practices, Maxfac departments in hospitals, Oral surgeons, dental laboratories and dental technicians and their contact details. Then ring them up, so if you need to organise anything over the phone you have your available dates in front of you.. saves a lot of time and makes you look like you're very organised. Once you've organised a place with, for example, a Maxfac surgeon for a specific week or whatever, cross it off your list and move on so you get good variety.

Good luck!

Thanks!
I found a GDP I will be going to every week after school , Also my dad's friend is a dentist so I will be shadowing him for 2 weeks in the summer holidays, so now i'm all sorted, phew! :tongue:
Original post by Midnight_sun
I emailed Manchester University asking them if work experience in a general Dental practice abroad is acceptable, and they said no!
I just dont understand what does it matter, so long as it is in a dental environment?!

Abroad work exp in not acceptable in any uni . I personally talked in person to some of unis admission and I know this well .
Good Luck :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by arvin_infinity
Abroad work exp in not acceptable in any uni . I personally talked in person to some of unis admission and I know this well .
Good Luck :wink:

I asked sheffield admissions and they said its fine, plus doing work exp abroad means you can work with a wide range of people :wink:
I asked sheffield admissions and they said its fine, plus doing work exp abroad means you can work with a wide range of people :wink:

Oh well- Lucky u !! Then he is right. Its not me deciding :P
Reply 6
Oh well- Lucky u !! Then he is right. Its not me deciding :P

are you iranian? if you are, then snap so am i:smile:
are you iranian? if you are, then snap so am i:smile:

Standard
Typical Iranian lol
Why all of us want to become a dentist!!!!!!?
Add my live id :wink:
Reply 8

I think you should do at least 2 weeks in a GDP in the UK. Sure, you got to meet a range of people, but it's good to know how the Dentistry system works in the UK. Also, it's harder to prove that you've done work experience abroad, and anyone could say they've done 1 week abroad.
You'll be competing against people who have done a broad range of dental related work experience, for a longer period, so there's no harm in doing more. The more the better.

Edit: It's not that hard to get experience.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Standard
Typical Iranian lol
Why all of us want to become a dentist!!!!!!?
Add my live id :wink:

Because we like looking down peoples mouthes ? :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by icis
I think you should do at least 2 weeks in a GDP in the UK. Sure, you got to meet a range of people, but it's good to know how the Dentistry system works in the UK. Also, it's harder to prove that you've done work experience abroad, and anyone could say they've done 1 week abroad.
You'll be competing against people who have done a broad range of dental related work experience, for a longer period, so there's no harm in doing more. The more the better.

Edit: It's not that hard to get experience.

ive got 2weeks in uk sorted, but im also doing some abroad like they say, the more the better, the dentist im doing work exp with abroad will give proof by writing a letter
ive got 2weeks in uk sorted, but im also doing some abroad like they say, the more the better, the dentist im doing work exp with abroad will give proof by writing a letter

Ah sweeet let me know what he writes in that letter cuz am gonna ask my dentist to do the same for me..
Reply 12
Hi, I'm applying to do dentistry at Manchester for the 2015 entry, I have one weeks work experience and am in desperate need for a second week. I know its been a long time since your first post but I wanted to ask where is your dads friend clinic based? Everywhere I have tried have said they don't take 'work experiencers' on

Thanks for any help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending