The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
We have 30 people in year 12. In the last 5 years we've had two people go to oxbridge, twins. And they were just off the charts... One went to oxford to do medicine and the other went to barts to do dentistry. Including them I think 4 people have applied in the last 5 years. We're not a good school. -.-
Original post by hassi94
My school stats are basically same as yours :smile: 100-130 in AS then 60-70 in A2.

1-3 people in Oxbridge each year.

And I think you misunderstood eliotball - 32 out of 101 that applied for Oxbridge, not 101 in his 6th form. Probably a very large sixth form (around a thousand in each year).

Honestly these massive 6th forms just seem weird to me, I can't imagine them but I do know plenty that have 500-1500 people in each year :s-smilie:

Oops :redface: should have read that more closely. Yeah, in Scotland sixth form colleges are very unusual - most people stay in the same school from Y8 (equivalent) to Y13 (equivalent). So no massive schools. :smile:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Oops :redface: should have read that more closely. Yeah, in Scotland sixth form colleges are very unusual - most people stay in the same school from Y8 (equivalent) to Y13 (equivalent). So no massive schools. :smile:

I've been at my school (in the UK) from Y7 to Y12 so far and am planning to stay till 13 :P

It's these 'sixth form colleges' that seem to be really massive!
Original post by hassi94
I've been at my school (in the UK) from Y7 to Y12 so far and am planning to stay till 13 :P

It's these 'sixth form colleges' that seem to be really massive!

Same! Theres about 150 in year 12 and probably about 100 in yr 13...
If your school has a 6th form its v handy but not all do so...
Original post by hassi94

And I think you misunderstood eliotball - 32 out of 101 that applied for Oxbridge, not 101 in his 6th form. Probably a very large sixth form (around a thousand in each year).

Yeah there are about 950 people I think in my year. It is a bit weird at first because you don't know most people's faces let alone names but after a while you get used to it.
Reply 285
Hiya,

GCSE: 2A*, 1A, 6B, 1C (short course)
AS Levels: Maths, further maths, physics. Taking up geology next year.
Currently predicted: AAB
Considering: G100. Royal Holloway, St Andrews (it's a dream), Edinburgh, Newcastle, Southampton and some others.
Preparation: Attending Headstart course for maths in the summer. Reading Fermat's Last Theorem and two other books after.
Read a lot into the maths side of cryptography - I find it very interesting.

Can anyone recommend any good maths books to read? Can be about anything maths related.
Original post by ecraven
Hiya,

GCSE: 2A*, 1A, 6B, 1C (short course)
AS Levels: Maths, further maths, physics. Taking up geology next year.
Currently predicted: AAB
Considering: G100. Royal Holloway, St Andrews (it's a dream), Edinburgh, Newcastle, Southampton and some others.
Preparation: Attending Headstart course for maths in the summer. Reading Fermat's Last Theorem and two other books after.
Read a lot into the maths side of cryptography - I find it very interesting.

Can anyone recommend any good maths books to read? Can be about anything maths related.

e:the story of a number by eli maor. Or if you are feeling for more of a challenge, The Calculus Gallery by William Dunham.
Reply 287
I was hoping to start a foundation year this year as a mature student, but that unfortunately out the window.
I'm already self teaching A Level AQA Maths, and now after not getting on the foundation year, am thinking I might have to do 2 more full A levels over the next year Including 2 modules that i still have from my Maths. I was planning on doing Further maths AS anyway, but I think i'll have to do the Full A Level, I've been shot in the foot with rejections this year even though I've discussed my quals before applying, they just lying to me lol.
So now I don't trust the advice I got from Leeds saying as long as I had Maths A Level at an A i'd def be considered for their degree.

Quick question, if I'm going to try and fit in 2 1/3 A levels into 2 exam sittings next year which is no easy thing as I work full time, do you think it'd look **** if I did Accountancy A Level aswel as maths and Fmaths?

I already have a qual in accounts, so thinking it'll be reasonably easy to pick up. But Uni's are deciding to ignore my NVQ 3/4 in accounts, they wouldn't do the same to the A level would they? and I know all 3 are fairly samey, but as an external canditate, there's not a lot of choice for A Levels without coursework/practical exams which I can't do.

Should get A for Maths, no idea for Fmaths as not started, and would hope A for accounts, so aiming for at least AAB, but do you think if i got ABB as a mature student they'd understand thats still pretty good going for working full time and being out of education for 11 years, i'm only just getting back into it lol.

Would apply to Leeds, Sheffield, Hallam, York and Manchester, althought the last 2 are quite a long commute :confused:
Original post by anshul95
e:the story of a number by eli maor. Or if you are feeling for more of a challenge, The Calculus Gallery by William Dunham.

I have that book on e from the library :biggrin: I might actually be bothered to read it at some point
Original post by skippy83
I was hoping to start a foundation year this year as a mature student, but that unfortunately out the window.
I'm already self teaching A Level AQA Maths, and now after not getting on the foundation year, am thinking I might have to do 2 more full A levels over the next year Including 2 modules that i still have from my Maths. I was planning on doing Further maths AS anyway, but I think i'll have to do the Full A Level, I've been shot in the foot with rejections this year even though I've discussed my quals before applying, they just lying to me lol.
So now I don't trust the advice I got from Leeds saying as long as I had Maths A Level at an A i'd def be considered for their degree.

Quick question, if I'm going to try and fit in 2 1/3 A levels into 2 exam sittings next year which is no easy thing as I work full time, do you think it'd look **** if I did Accountancy A Level aswel as maths and Fmaths?

I already have a qual in accounts, so thinking it'll be reasonably easy to pick up. But Uni's are deciding to ignore my NVQ 3/4 in accounts, they wouldn't do the same to the A level would they? and I know all 3 are fairly samey, but as an external canditate, there's not a lot of choice for A Levels without coursework/practical exams which I can't do.

Should get A for Maths, no idea for Fmaths as not started, and would hope A for accounts, so aiming for at least AAB, but do you think if i got ABB as a mature student they'd understand thats still pretty good going for working full time and being out of education for 11 years, i'm only just getting back into it lol.

Would apply to Leeds, Sheffield, Hallam, York and Manchester, althought the last 2 are quite a long commute :confused:

Wow, sounds pretty good to me! Most.unis consider further maths a definite plus, and I doubt they'll mind accountancy. Maths, FM and physics is a very common combination as far as I can tell and that's no more samey than what you're suggesting. I'm sure they'll take your circumstances into account. Good luck with the application! :smile:
Reply 290
Original post by anshul95

Thanks. I'll look into those.
Completed my first ever STEP question! :woo: I think it might have been easier than most cos it's the first question in the paper (1998, Step II).

So pleased with myself :colondollar:
Completed my first ever STEP question! :woo: I think it might have been easier than most cos it's the first question in the paper (1998, Step II).

You started with STEP II? awesome :tongue:

I was gonna do some yesterday, but I didn't for some reason :dontknow:

It's definately an awesome feeling. Nice one.

Did my first ever STEP III question a month ago, it was awesome:biggrin:
Reply 294
Heya,

Hiya,

GCSE: 11A*
A Levels: Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology, general studies AS
Currently predicted: 4A* in A2, A*/A in biology and A in general studies AS
Considering: one of oxbridge (favouring cambridge at the moment), imperial, warwick, bath, bristol, york
Preparation: background reading, did an OU course, going on Headstart in summer, and a cambridge masterclass hopefully too

Is anyone doing STEP I this year?
Original post by dnumberwang
You started with STEP II? awesome :tongue:

I was gonna do some yesterday, but I didn't for some reason :dontknow:

Thanks! I wasn't planning to start with STEP II :biggrin: . One of my friends (a very nice girl who's about average in our maths class) challenged another (maths/physics genius) to a maths duel. I've been nominated referee, so I was looking out a question for them to do. I chose five to print off from a STEP II paper and as I was waiting for it to print my eye got caught by a random middle line from this question, which I realised I could do. So then I had to do the whole question! (And yes, I have some very geeky friends. They also watch Doctor Who and Firefly, and read xkcd.)

Original post by ben-smith
It's definately an awesome feeling. Nice one.

Did my first ever STEP III question a month ago, it was awesome:biggrin:

Thanks! I love that feeling when maths just clicks.
Thanks! I wasn't planning to start with STEP II :biggrin: . One of my friends (a very nice girl who's about average in our maths class) challenged another (maths/physics genius) to a maths duel. I've been nominated referee, so I was looking out a question for them to do. I chose five to print off from a STEP II paper and as I was waiting for it to print my eye got caught by a random middle line from this question, which I realised I could do. So then I had to do the whole question! (And yes, I have some very geeky friends. They also watch Doctor Who and Firefly, and read xkcd.)

Haha I am kind of a geek but I just completely lack motivation:
read the first 200 or so xkcd's, haven't bothered looking at the rest
watched the first 7 episodes of Firefly, haven't bothered downloading the rest
I will do my second STEP question and more STEP questions at some point
almost finished reading a mathemician's apology... over about 2 weeks, i've forgotten it all now

:ashamed2:
Original post by dnumberwang
Haha I am kind of a geek but I just completely lack motivation:
read the first 200 or so xkcd's, haven't bothered looking at the rest
watched the first 7 episodes of Firefly, haven't bothered downloading the rest
I will do my second STEP question and more STEP questions at some point
almost finished reading a mathemician's apology... over about 2 weeks, i've forgotten it all now

:ashamed2:

That's appalling, shame on you! :tongue: Ah well, slow but steady. I do all these things (reading every single xkcd, STEP questions, reading) as a form of procrastination. The second two are especially good for it - you can kid yourself that you're doing something productive. Of course, as soon as I start needing to do STEP preparation, next year sometime, it will cease to be procrastination and become something to be procrastinated from.

Oh, and Firefly's awesome.
Reply 298
Wow, sounds pretty good to me! Most.unis consider further maths a definite plus, and I doubt they'll mind accountancy. Maths, FM and physics is a very common combination as far as I can tell and that's no more samey than what you're suggesting. I'm sure they'll take your circumstances into account. Good luck with the application! :smile:

cheers, I hope so, I would hope that they wouldn't hold knowing exactly what you want to do against you as a mature student. and I guess I'm only adapting my Accounts NVQ that i already have into a more uni friendly A level.

From what I've read on so called 'soft subjects' sometimes accountancy is in with them, but only for say top 5 uni's, hopefully the rest are happy with 2 solid A levels and a 3rd one of your choice really.
I wish I could do physics, although sure i'd struggle with it, but i used to enjoy it 2nd to maths haha.
Original post by leopard93

GCSE: 11A*
QUOTE]

OMG!!!! HOW!!!!?!?!?

Latest