The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Normandy114
No they're completely harmless, just annoying when they fly everywhere. There's an urban myth that they have incredibly deadly poison, but that's completely wrong.

Phew, that's ok then.

On the topic of bugs, I found an insect in some rice I was eating today, lovely. :colone:
Original post by Nutta!
Right

Applying:

Newcastle
Leicester
Leeds

Dunno the last one... 5 year as a graduate

x

Good luck. :smile: What degree are you doing atm?
Reply 1942
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Phew, that's ok then.

On the topic of bugs, I found an insect in some rice I was eating today, lovely. :colone:

What?! Poor you, that's disgusting! (Unless you like insect rice?)
Original post by Nutta!
Right

Applying:

Newcastle
Leicester
Leeds

Dunno the last one... 5 year as a graduate

x

If all goes well, we'll virtually be applying to the same places :dance:
Original post by itsrayray:)
I volunteer in a charity shop which I've done for the past 4 years and work in a carehome:smile:

... Wow! 4 YEARS?!
For people that arent hugely confident about interivews I would recomend going on the ace medicine interview course....I know its quite expensive, but it gives you ideas of what to research, and I think getting into medical school worth it!!! Some of the people I met on the course had had three interviews last year and they got rejected from all three, because of their interview technique. Most of the things that they told you about came up in interview. They also tell you about things that you wouldnt think to look up and give example answers, which are reallly long. Just an idea for all you hopeful medics out there :smile: Xx
Original post by cz100
What?! Poor you, that's disgusting! (Unless you like insect rice?)

Haha, no, it wasn't meant to be there. It was just this weird dead black bug thing. I'm actually not as squeamish as I've come across in the thread and the people I was with aren't sqeamish either so it was like "EWWW.... A BUG!" .... "Ok, I'll get a new plate", end all mention of bug. I feel kinda sick thinking about it now... if it had been in my little sisters' plate she might've eaten it... or I might have eaten it. :eek2:
Reply 1947
Original post by thegodofgod
If all goes well, we'll virtually be applying to the same places :dance:

Its going to be my last shot at this- been there and done that- then messed up the grades.

Hope its a great for you this year and you'll get your well deserved place. I would NOT have said that if I was 18 though- different person to what I was back then.

Competition can really distort the mind.
Reply 1948
Good luck. :smile: What degree are you doing atm?

Well I hope you get a place too!

I do Clinical Sciences- aka medical sciences yourself?
Original post by Nutta!
Well I hope you get a place too!

I do Clinical Sciences- aka medical sciences yourself?

Awww, thanks. :smile:

Wow, that sounds cool. How are you finding it? + what uni are you at?

I'm just a boring sixth former. :colondollar: Although I'm looking at fifth choices atm and I'm finding it hard to decide what to put. I thought Leeds did Chem & Philo as a joint honours degree but turned out the UCAS website lied and they don't. :s-smilie: So I'm back to square one... I'm contemplating Zoology/Biology but I don't want to give up humanities. :frown:
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
... Wow! 4 YEARS?!

Yeahhh:smile: its a long time but I really like it. I did it for D of E to start with. How is work experience/volunteering coming along for you?
Righty-ho.. a little help would be massively useful here :smile:

I bumped into the mum of a friend from when I was 4 or something... and got onto the subject of medicine and turns out she's a doctor! yay! :tongue:
Well, she gave me her email address and said thatI could contact her if I wanted any advice etc.
Obviously, I want to know everything and get a foolproof plan for getting into med school.. but thats not going to happen :colondollar:
So what should I ask?? I want to get the most out of this without bugging her too much! :redface:
People have been really quiet on this thread lately :lolwut:
Original post by spoinkytheduck

I bumped into the mum of a friend from when I was 4 or something... and got onto the subject of medicine and turns out she's a doctor! yay! :tongue:
Well, she gave me her email address and said thatI could contact her if I wanted any advice etc.
Obviously, I want to know everything and get a foolproof plan for getting into med school.. but thats not going to happen :colondollar:
So what should I ask?? I want to get the most out of this without bugging her too much! :redface:

Work experience :dance:

See if she knows any medical students / recent medical graduates to whom you could ask questions?

Ask her about the reforms, maybe? They're so hard to understand, she might be able to explain them well.
Apparently an interview question that comes up is qualities of a good dr... you could ask her her opinion on that. Oooh, and progression of doctors (like FY1 -> FY2 -> SHO or however it goes, I'm not really sure tbh :s-smilie:), although that's probably changed since she graduated.

From the sounds of it, this is a pretty ample opportunity to genuinely ask her what's on your mind... maybe she'll give you a frank account of life as a dr which'll help you in interviews as well as knowing what you've let yourself in to.

Maybe later on you could ask her to give you a mock interview, they're quite helpful from what I've heard and I think the unis in your sig tend to be the ones who do non-group interviews and who grill you (but don't quote me on that :p:).
Work experience :dance:

See if she knows any medical students / recent medical graduates to whom you could ask questions?

lol.. that was my first thought when she said she was a doctor...
but slight boo-boo in that when we were talking about where I'd done work exp. I got confused and said I'd done work exp. in one hosp. (which is where she works) but I'd actually done it in the hosp. nearby... :redface:
My bad. :colondollar:
So work exp. where she works would be immense... but eerr... I'd have to explain the boo-boo which would be slightly awkward.. is it worth it??

hhmm.. I may just ask about that.. thankies. :smile:
Also, she mentioned about working on something to do with the interviews at the local uni... do you think it would be okay to ask her to help me prepare for interviews etc.? (if I get any of course!)
People have been really quiet on this thread lately :lolwut:

Totally unrelated to your post, but how are you learning the organic chem mechanisms? And the extraction of metals, and group 2, and group 7... there's so many. I dunno how I'm going to make them stick in my head! I never expected Chem to be this full of memorisation :p:
Ask her about the reforms, maybe? They're so hard to understand, she might be able to explain them well.
Apparently an interview question that comes up is qualities of a good dr... you could ask her her opinion on that. Oooh, and progression of doctors (like FY1 -> FY2 -> SHO or however it goes, I'm not really sure tbh :s-smilie:), although that's probably changed since she graduated.

From the sounds of it, this is a pretty ample opportunity to genuinely ask her what's on your mind... maybe she'll give you a frank account of life as a dr which'll help you in interviews as well as knowing what you've let yourself in to.

Maybe later on you could ask her to give you a mock interview, they're quite helpful from what I've heard and I think the unis in your sig tend to be the ones who do non-group interviews and who grill you (but don't quote me on that :p:).

Okay, yeah.. I'll definitely ask about interview help and the mock interview then :smile:

And these are good things to ask... the rate this email is going its going to be massively long.. xD
Totally unrelated to your post, but how are you learning the organic chem mechanisms? And the extraction of metals, and group 2, and group 7... there's so many. I dunno how I'm going to make them stick in my head! I never expected Chem to be this full of memorisation :p:

lol, I'm meant to be revising them right now... :colondollar:
I should probably scuttle off to revision again...
Okay, yeah.. I'll definitely ask about interview help and the mock interview then :smile:

And these are good things to ask... the rate this email is going its going to be massively long.. xD

Also- get her to read over your PS. At the UCAS Fair, the Liverpool ambassador told me to make an appointment with my GP to get him to look over my PS. I wouldn't go that far, but it just goes to show how important getting a medic's view on your PS is. :smile:

Lol, well, applying for medicine is a crazy hard decision and getting in is also pretty damn difficult, I don't think she'll be expecting a short email. :p:

Latest