The Student Room Group

Want to do medicine, but have a huge problem. NEED HELP

Scroll to see replies

On the subject of "communication skills" getting a patient to tell you what's wrong with them is a pretty effective diagnostic tool.
Reply 81
Hey guys well i am considering retaking my as level year and then doing a degree in biomed or biochem. As i would be a resit student would this stop me from applying at graduate level or maybe intercalating ect. Cheers
Reply 82
bump
Original post by mclovin123
Hey guys well i am considering retaking my as level year and then doing a degree in biomed or biochem. As i would be a resit student would this stop me from applying at graduate level or maybe intercalating ect. Cheers

It wouldn't have much of an effect on you intercalating. If you stay at the same uni then most of the selection will be based on your grades in the first few years. Plus, if you would already have a degree in biochem....why on earth would you want to intercalate? :P
Reply 84
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
It wouldn't have much of an effect on you intercalating. If you stay at the same uni then most of the selection will be based on your grades in the first few years. Plus, if you would already have a degree in biochem....why on earth would you want to intercalate? :P

no no i mean either graduate entry after getting a degree or doing this thing at bsms were you do biomed and then interview for medicine if you do well in the first year. would my being a resit student mean i cant do this?
no no i mean either graduate entry after getting a degree or doing this thing at bsms were you do biomed and then interview for medicine if you do well in the first year. would my being a resit student mean i cant do this?

I would say think that your application for GEP, your degree will matter more than your school grades. I honestly don't know about the BSMS thing :tongue:
Reply 86
To be honest if you're so determined to medicine I'd say your only realistic option now is graduate entry or perhaps applying for an access course. But both are still incredibly competitive.

But, without being harsh, as it currently stands applying for undergraduate medicine would be foolish. Your GCSEs are below average for a medicine applicant and unless you can really turn around your As levels so that you have a shot at getting AAA next year I honestly don't think you'll have much success.

But if you're really determined to do it then get onto a good course (biochemistry or biomed or something) at university and go for graduate entry. It might take longer and be more expensive but its honestly not over for you :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by MJHERBZ
To be honest if you're so determined to medicine I'd say your only realistic option now is graduate entry or perhaps applying for an access course. But both are still incredibly competitive.

But, without being harsh, as it currently stands applying for undergraduate medicine would be foolish. Your GCSEs are below average for a medicine applicant and unless you can really turn around your As levels so that you have a shot at getting AAA next year I honestly don't think you'll have much success.

But if you're really determined to do it then get onto a good course (biochemistry or biomed or something) at university and go for graduate entry. It might take longer and be more expensive but its honestly not over for you :smile:

I just feel i will fail this year and am really considering retaking the year. If i were to retake the year and do a degree in biomed when im 19 then applying graduate entry. Would i be able to apply for a foundation if i were resit student?
Reply 88

To transfer you still have to have met the entry criteria for your A-levels i.e. 360 points from 3 A-levels, but BSMS accept resits as long as you weren't too far away from getting the grades first time around, so you should be fine. However you still need over 70% in your first year and have done at least six months of work experience in the year of applying for transfer. This would guarantee you an interview.
Reply 89
Original post by telephone
To transfer you still have to have met the entry criteria for your A-levels i.e. 360 points from 3 A-levels, but BSMS accept resits as long as you weren't too far away from getting the grades first time around, so you should be fine. However you still need over 70% in your first year and have done at least six months of work experience in the year of applying for transfer. This would guarantee you an interview.

ok but i will be ressiting the whole AS LEVEL year at a diffrent college. would this mean i would not be eligable?
Reply 90
I just feel i will fail this year and am really considering retaking the year. If i were to retake the year and do a degree in biomed when im 19 then applying graduate entry. Would i be able to apply for a foundation if i were resit student?

Foundation courses are only for those who haven't taken the necessary A-levels and, as far as I'm aware, even then you have to have achieved AAA within 2 years. Plus there are even fewer places so its just as competitive.

Just see how you do this year; if you don't do very well then resit and apply for a different degree. If you think you're in with a shot of achieving AAA next year then you could apply for medicine but make sure you choose your 4 choices wisely, based on your GCSE grades and UKCAT score.

Well, thats my advice anyway. :smile:
Reply 91
ok but i will be ressiting the whole AS LEVEL year at a diffrent college. would this mean i would not be eligable?

You'll have to check with the uni but why don't you just do chemistry a level in one year then you will have AAA within two years and then would not be a resit candidate and be able to apply to any medical school that will take your GCSEs. And don't say it's hard, a levels are easy, and anyway it's only going to get a lot harder at medical school.
Reply 92
You'll have to check with the uni but why don't you just do chemistry a level in one year then you will have AAA within two years and then would not be a resit candidate and be able to apply to any medical school that will take your GCSEs. And don't say it's hard, a levels are easy, and anyway it's only going to get a lot harder at medical school.

but i only have like 16 days till my exams. Could i really get like A grades in biology and psychology?
Reply 93
As far as your GCSE grades go... focus on retaking those. I got one A one B and 8 c's. I know my grades are not the best and that is why i am retaking five of those GCSEs next year and try to achieve A*'s. As far as A levels i you will need to do smothing about that chemistry. Try and see if you can do that separate at another college. OR get your parents and sit face to face with your chem teacher, write a letter explaining how deeply foolish you have been and sell you self to get back into chemistry, if your that passionate about becoming a doctor then you should have no problem doing this.
Reply 94
but i only have like 16 days till my exams. Could i really get like A grades in biology and psychology?

I don't know your situation but I'd imagine you only have two exams, then with a bit of work you could, but surely you knew the requirements for medicine and the people you were competing against when you left yourself 16 days to revise for your final year exams? You could always retake these exams next year I guess but if you want it as badly as you say you do then I'm sure you can do it.
16 days is plenty of time if you aren't learning it all for the first time. Two exams only shouldn't be too hard :|
hey, I a determined to study medicine aswell i got basically the same GCSE's as you. I am working my ass off for my AS exams next month. In my module exams i got a B for chemistry and C for biology. I worked extremely hard to get those grades. I know that i would not be able to get into medical school with B's as predicted grades. So i am thinking of applying for Biochemistry in september and hopefully, i will get very good as level results.

When i get my degree in biochem i will aim to enter graduate school for medicine. btw you need to achieve a first class honours degree in biochem to be able to apply for medicine. If you are motivated then you can do anything and never give up. Don't let anybody tell you what you can and can't do!
Reply 97
Original post by breezybabe05
hey, I a determined to study medicine aswell i got basically the same GCSE's as you. I am working my ass off for my AS exams next month. In my module exams i got a B for chemistry and C for biology. I worked extremely hard to get those grades. I know that i would not be able to get into medical school with B's as predicted grades. So i am thinking of applying for Biochemistry in september and hopefully, i will get very good as level results.

When i get my degree in biochem i will aim to enter graduate school for medicine. btw you need to achieve a first class honours degree in biochem to be able to apply for medicine. If you are motivated then you can do anything and never give up. Don't let anybody tell you what you can and can't do!

No you need a 2:1 not a first, although a first wouldnt hurt.
No you need a 2:1 not a first, although a first wouldnt hurt.

oh i thought it was a first, do all uni's require 2:1 to get into medical school as a graduate?
Reply 99
Original post by breezybabe05
oh i thought it was a first, do all uni's require 2:1 to get into medical school as a graduate?

Apart from Birmingham who do indeed want a first, and you can also assume that you won't get into Oxbridge aswell without a first even though they ask for a 2:1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending