The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spoinkytheduck
lol, I'm meant to be revising them right now... :colondollar:
I should probably scuttle off to revision again...

I did nothing but Chem for the first few days of the holidays then got a D on a paper I tried, such a gutter. :colondollar: So I'm taking a break from Chem in favour of Bio, but yeah, I'm supposed to be going over transport in plants atm. Is it bad that I like plants? :p:

When's your first exam?
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I did nothing but Chem for the first few days of the holidays then got a D on a paper I tried, such a gutter. :colondollar: So I'm taking a break from Chem in favour of Bio, but yeah, I'm supposed to be going over transport in plants atm. Is it bad that I like plants? :p:

When's your first exam?

Ah.. I had my bio day yesterday, so today I'm doing chem :smile:
Although I'm not trying any papers until I've gone over everything loads so I dont dishearten myself and give up revision altogether! :tongue:

Lol, well at least you'll get the section of bio that everyone else doesnt get! So you can feel super clever :cool:
Dont like plants much myself... the whole cohesion tension thingy-ma-jig just sends me to sleep!:redface:

18th May... M1 Maths.. before our study leave even starts :frown:
When's yours?
edexcel chemistry....arghh....enough said.
lol.. that was my first thought when she said she was a doctor...
but slight boo-boo in that when we were talking about where I'd done work exp. I got confused and said I'd done work exp. in one hosp. (which is where she works) but I'd actually done it in the hosp. nearby... :redface:
My bad. :colondollar:
So work exp. where she works would be immense... but eerr... I'd have to explain the boo-boo which would be slightly awkward.. is it worth it??

hhmm.. I may just ask about that.. thankies. :smile:
Also, she mentioned about working on something to do with the interviews at the local uni... do you think it would be okay to ask her to help me prepare for interviews etc.? (if I get any of course!)

of course!
Although I'm not trying any papers until I've gone over everything loads so I dont dishearten myself and give up revision altogether! :tongue:

Lol, well at least you'll get the section of bio that everyone else doesnt get! So you can feel super clever :cool:
Dont like plants much myself... the whole cohesion tension thingy-ma-jig just sends me to sleep!:redface:

When's yours?

Are you on AQA? :smile:

Cool, how did your Bio day go?
Haha, that's a good idea but the thing is people say it's more useful to learn mark schemes than textbooks so I thought doing papers would be doing myself a favour... I think it did help because I realised I'm hopeless at redox. :biggrin:

Cohesion-tension theory is so pointless... I have no idea how the textbook manages to make it stretch on for like a page.... you could sum it up in about two lines.

Ouch. :frown: How you feeling about maths? I find I'm neglecting my other subjects for Bio + Chem.

My first exam is 12th May... French speaking. Yay?
Totally unrelated to your post, but how are you learning the organic chem mechanisms? And the extraction of metals, and group 2, and group 7... there's so many. I dunno how I'm going to make them stick in my head! I never expected Chem to be this full of memorisation :p:

I don't know why, but the mechanisms just stick in my head :lolwut:, I know

The group 2 is easy - hardly any equations to remember

But group 7 is killer :getmecoat: :sadnod: - just memorise the observations and their equations I suppose.

Extraction of metals is easy - the iron one is GCSE Chemistry, tungsten is reduction with hydrogen, aluminium - bauxite is electrolysis, titanium is with a zeolite catalyst (TiCl4, and then reacting with Na or Mg to form Ti on its own + NaCl or MgCl2.
Are you on AQA? :smile:

Cool, how did your Bio day go?
Haha, that's a good idea but the thing is people say it's more useful to learn mark schemes than textbooks so I thought doing papers would be doing myself a favour... I think it did help because I realised I'm hopeless at redox. :biggrin:

Cohesion-tension theory is so pointless... I have no idea how the textbook manages to make it stretch on for like a page.... you could sum it up in about two lines.

Ouch. :frown: How you feeling about maths? I find I'm neglecting my other subjects for Bio + Chem.

My first exam is 12th May... French speaking. Yay?

Yup, AQA.. you too?

It went good... I was doing the variation and cells part of bio...
My dad was asking me loads of questions on it as I was drawing out the dna structure which helped cos I was explaining it to someone else... I dont think he understood it though because when I told him that there is dna in every cell of your body he wouldnt beliveve me.. :tongue:

Yeah.. people tell me that past papers are the best all the time... but I'm just so paranoid that I'll walk into the exam and that paper will have everything on it that the past papers didnt... so learning the textbook is the only way to keep me sane..:rolleyes:

I'm definitely neglecting my other subjects.. but I keep telling myself its okay because maths is more about application so less time learning the formulas is acceptable (although theres no alternative to past papers so I need to get started on those).. and my phyiscs exam is long after the others so I figure I'll have time.. I hope! :redface:

ooo... thats even earlier! Good luck with it!
I could not deal with french at gcse.. just learnt some perfect answers off by heart which somehow got me through the speaking exam! :tongue:

Edit: woop! First post on 100th page.. little things excite me. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Also- get her to read over your PS. At the UCAS Fair, the Liverpool ambassador told me to make an appointment with my GP to get him to look over my PS. I wouldn't go that far, but it just goes to show how important getting a medic's view on your PS is. :smile:

Lol, well, applying for medicine is a crazy hard decision and getting in is also pretty damn difficult, I don't think she'll be expecting a short email. :p:

My GP is over 80 years old, so I don't think it would be very 'fruitful' to ask him

He's an amazing GP nonetheless - spends so much time with his patients and stuff - :eek:

Rich as a bi*ch though - gets a new Mercedes or a BMW every year :colondollar:

When's yours?

I never thought I'd say this, but that bit in plant biology is so cool :cool:!

Hydrogen bonds and stuff (probably because of chemistry - my fav :love:)

We only do S1 this year (in terms of applied modules); we do M1 next year :hmmm: Got S1 on 18th May, my study leave is from 9th May to 9th June :biggrin:

So got 2 weeks of chilling out :dance: - all exams over before half term :biggrin:
Original post by thegodofgod
I never thought I'd say this, but that bit in plant biology is so cool :cool:!

Hydrogen bonds and stuff (probably because of chemistry - my fav :love:)

We only do S1 this year (in terms of applied modules); we do M1 next year :hmmm: Got S1 on 18th May, my study leave is from 9th May to 9th June :biggrin:

So got 2 weeks of chilling out :dance: - all exams over before half term :biggrin:

Haha.. sadly I dont think I'll ever be converted to plant biology..

We got a choice in which applied module we wanted to do, and as I was doing physics, I thought I'd do mechanics.. but if I do maths next year, I might do S1 as I'll drop physics, how is S1??

Ah thats soo lucky!!... a few of my friends also have a little holiday like you as all their exams are at the beginning of study leave...

I have a random physics exam placed over a week after all my other exams which is a bit of a bummer.. although our study leave goes on until the 13th June so I still get just under a week or something :smile:
My GP is over 80 years old, so I don't think it would be very 'fruitful' to ask him

He's an amazing GP nonetheless - spends so much time with his patients and stuff - :eek:

Rich as a bi*ch though - gets a new Mercedes or a BMW every year :colondollar:

Over 80 years old, that is so cute/amazing. It seems like way too stressful a job to be doing that old though! Ah well, as long as he's not taking it out on the patients and he seem willing to keep on doing it, s'all good.

I might ask the GP I shadowed because he gave me his email address.... but I feel bad, he seemed like he was always running about. He started work at like 7.30/8am in the morning!
I think I'll use the PS service on here, that'll be better than anything else.

Wow. :O I didn't realise GPs earned that much. He must be really good at running the surgery on a profit. But I will never understand why people spend so much money on cars. :p:
Yup, AQA.. you too?

It went good... I was doing the variation and cells part of bio...
My dad was asking me loads of questions on it as I was drawing out the dna structure which helped cos I was explaining it to someone else... I dont think he understood it though because when I told him that there is dna in every cell of your body he wouldnt beliveve me.. :tongue:

Yeah.. people tell me that past papers are the best all the time... but I'm just so paranoid that I'll walk into the exam and that paper will have everything on it that the past papers didnt... so learning the textbook is the only way to keep me sane..:rolleyes:

I'm definitely neglecting my other subjects.. but I keep telling myself its okay because maths is more about application so less time learning the formulas is acceptable (although theres no alternative to past papers so I need to get started on those).. and my phyiscs exam is long after the others so I figure I'll have time.. I hope! :redface:

ooo... thats even earlier! Good luck with it!
I could not deal with french at gcse.. just learnt some perfect answers off by heart which somehow got me through the speaking exam! :tongue:

Edit: woop! First post on 100th page.. little things excite me. :smile:

Same, and I think AQA gets a lot of undeserved hatred. :colondollar: Yeah HSW sucks but it's probs a good skill for potential scientists to have.

Haha, I get what you mean, I explained how the heart works to my five year old sister for the unit 1 exam. Must be quite nice for your dad to be learning alongside you. :smile: It is really hard to believe, DNA must be so small. And yet it more or less defines us... it is us. :eek:

I know what you mean, I think textbook learning is inevitable. But it's just how you have to word the answers and stuff that gets me. And sometimes not knowing what the hell the question is asking. :s-smilie: Also, June 2009 paper, there was a question on how you'd test for starch... COME ON! My memory good is not enough for that! :p:

Ah, as long as you can cram your past papers. :smile: I have the same attitude towards French (reading, listening, writing) as you do to Physics because it's on the 6th June... here's hoping it doesn't backfire.

Thanks. :smile: Yeah, that's all you need to do for GCSE and AS Level really.... but I always get lazy and never learn answers so end up improvising. :s-smilie: It's not good, but memorising French is sooooo boring.

Lol, congrats, group high five to all of us for reaching 100 pages. :colone:
I don't know why, but the mechanisms just stick in my head :lolwut:, I know

The group 2 is easy - hardly any equations to remember

But group 7 is killer :getmecoat: :sadnod: - just memorise the observations and their equations I suppose.

Extraction of metals is easy - the iron one is GCSE Chemistry, tungsten is reduction with hydrogen, aluminium - bauxite is electrolysis, titanium is with a zeolite catalyst (TiCl4, and then reacting with Na or Mg to form Ti on its own + NaCl or MgCl2.

Lucky you! I guess you have a photographic memory? I have an auditory memory, most pointless memory ever. :p:

Ah, true, I think there are only about two or three for group 2, but I'd rather there were 0 because the equations are on top of the trends and all that stuff. :frown:

We didn't do extraction of metals at GCSE... we did double not triple, that might've been it. :dontknow:
There's all the stuff you listed to remember plus If it's Fe2O3 or the other way around... for every single metal, boo hoo. But I'll get there. :biggrin:

I hope
I've not done extraction of metals at GCSE or A level, looks like a good thing :tongue:
Really cannot be bothered to revise today. Lacking motivation :puppyeyes:
Original post by oHellno
Really cannot be bothered to revise today. Lacking motivation :puppyeyes:

I know that feeling so much. I've done about 1/5th of what I planned to do today, and that comes after two weeks of procrastinating too. The next month is going to be one hell of a cram :redface:
Same, and I think AQA gets a lot of undeserved hatred. :colondollar: Yeah HSW sucks but it's probs a good skill for potential scientists to have.

Haha, I get what you mean, I explained how the heart works to my five year old sister for the unit 1 exam. Must be quite nice for your dad to be learning alongside you. :smile: It is really hard to believe, DNA must be so small. And yet it more or less defines us... it is us. :eek:

I know what you mean, I think textbook learning is inevitable. But it's just how you have to word the answers and stuff that gets me. And sometimes not knowing what the hell the question is asking. :s-smilie: Also, June 2009 paper, there was a question on how you'd test for starch... COME ON! My memory good is not enough for that! :p:

Ah, as long as you can cram your past papers. :smile: I have the same attitude towards French (reading, listening, writing) as you do to Physics because it's on the 6th June... here's hoping it doesn't backfire.

Thanks. :smile: Yeah, that's all you need to do for GCSE and AS Level really.... but I always get lazy and never learn answers so end up improvising. :s-smilie: It's not good, but memorising French is sooooo boring.

I always thought AQA was quite good until I saw all the hate on here :colondollar:

Aaww.. cute!! Did she actually understand it when you explained it?
My parents arent really academic at all so everything I do I can teach to them which is quite nice :smile:
Showed my dad a maths equation the other day and his face was just pure horror... 'how is this maths?? x isnt a number!!' He makes me laugh :tongue:

I just resort to the technique of writing everything I know about the subject and hope the answer to whatever the question was asking is in there somewhere.. its working for me so far! :tongue:

It'll get to June and I can defitely see myself regretting putting off Physics.. but I really just cant be bothered now.. :redface:

For french GCSE I made a big poster of all the perfect answers and stuck it on my bathroom wall. That way, everytime I went to the loo I had to look at it, and I couldnt just put it off. Weird, but it worked! :^_^:
Original post by Normandy114
I've not done extraction of metals at GCSE or A level, looks like a good thing :tongue:

They'll chuck it at you come A2, I bet. :p:
They'll chuck it at you come A2, I bet. :p:

Just checked my A2 text book, not in there either. Lucky me :wink:

That's the easiest question ever!

Starch - Iodine, starch present if it turns blue/black.

Protein - Biuret test, protein present if it turns lilac.

Fat - rub sample onto filter paper, add a few drops of ethanol, if it goes translucent, fat is present.

Latest

Trending

Trending