The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MedicineStuudent
:rofl2:

c u at glasgow next year btw

hellllo mate ! Join the FB group ! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_152706194790047&ap=1

see you next year :smile:
**** me. 'Oh next season we'll be more mature, get more players', tis a broken record, been saying that for a few seasons now

Hope there's an actual significant change though, the gulf between us and United needs to close and we just need to beat them again
I heard the commentator say he knew for a fact Arsenal didn't practice set pieces. I don't know how much truth there is in that. Both goals came from set plays, where Arsenal look vulnerable. If they are worked on at all, they need to be worked on more. Djourou was probably the worst player on the pitch, him and Clichy. Djourou's penalty was just stupid, such poor judgement, attacker gets round him and he still hassles him, and he goes down. Ferdinand in the Everton game had the same thing let the attacker go, and no penalty. As a defender he knows what the striker is looking for and gives him the chance to go down, so silly. Clichy was all over the place, looked like a 17 year old put in a PL game for the first time, that and the fact he can't cross, such a basic skill you can easily practice on the training ground, he should be a decent crosser by now.

I think your DM needs to step up too, Arsenal were so easy to catch on the break, what is the point in having a DM if you are so easily caught like that.
Reply 9043
"The facts are the facts. I feel the players [have] had an outstanding attitude [during] the whole season and they are not to blame. If there is someone to blame, it is me. I pick the team and I choose the players." :Wenger

hmmmm
Original post by jit987
"The facts are the facts. I feel the players [have] had an outstanding attitude [during] the whole season and they are not to blame. If there is someone to blame, it is me. I pick the team and I choose the players." :Wenger

hmmmm

Sounds like he's had enough :s-smilie:
Original post by natty_d
This just cheered me up :rofl2:

I'm so disillusioned with football and with Arsenal atm. This is really just disgraceful.

glad it did cos i feel like crying atm :frown:
Original post by doggyfizzel
I heard the commentator say he knew for a fact Arsenal didn't practice set pieces. I don't know how much truth there is in that. Both goals came from set plays, where Arsenal look vulnerable. If they are worked on at all, they need to be worked on more. Djourou was probably the worst player on the pitch, him and Clichy. Djourou's penalty was just stupid, such poor judgement, attacker gets round him and he still hassles him, and he goes down. Ferdinand in the Everton game had the same thing let the attacker go, and no penalty. As a defender he knows what the striker is looking for and gives him the chance to go down, so silly. Clichy was all over the place, looked like a 17 year old put in a PL game for the first time, that and the fact he can't cross, such a basic skill you can easily practice on the training ground, he should be a decent crosser by now.

I think your DM needs to step up too, Arsenal were so easy to catch on the break, what is the point in having a DM if you are so easily caught like that.

I hate how we seem to struggle for minutes at a time just get one crucial goal, we can get into great spaces and positions but it amounts to nothing - we get caught on the break and 20 seconds later just about any team can score against us like that, happened against Spurs, Newcastle etc etc. It's unbelievably frustrating

A solid and quality defence is a vital aspect of any potential league winning team, you will not win a league title with a poor defence, which leads to conceding goals - leading to draws and losses out of the blue, simple as that
Original post by Billa Bong

Original post by Billa Bong
glad it did cos i feel like crying atm :frown:

My bf was similarly upset :console:
All the analysis in the world won't change the fact that RVP is the only player prepared to shoot from more than 10 yards out in this team. Funny how he's scored 19 goals in 19 games.

Cesc is finally playing well only for the rest of the team to crumble around him. It's got to the stage where Arsenal fans are so fed up that they probably would respect Cesc leaving in the summer. It really isn't good enough. The efficiency of the team is disgraceful at the moment, we take 30 mins to score a goal yet lose one in seconds from lack of concentration. We have zero variation, and only one true striker (Chamakh and bendtner are effectively CFs). But I think the one thing that pisses everyone off the most is the lack of effort from this side. Too many players don't seem to care.

I'm actually in a sad way a bit happy that if we're going to lose the title, we've lost it like this, because at least is screams at Wenger loud and clear that there are many things wrong with this team. For the first time Wenger seems stressed every game. Either pulling his hair out or throwing his bottle away and to be perfectly honest he does deserve a portion of the blame. HE NEEDS TO LEARN! I don't understand why the same mistakes keep being made, it's like the players don't even practice set pieces. I really hope he gets the message and more importantly acts on it.

I have no idea why Ramsey is never playing btw. We need a new DM, we need another striker, we need better squad players. We need to learn how to shoot on sight. And we need someone to scream at the players to put more effort in. If Wenger can't shout at the players, then he really needs to find a player who can!
(edited 12 years ago)
I've never really bought into reasons such as "they don't care enough"/"they're not bothered." I believe these are just other ways to say the players are not good enough. I think they cared enough out there, there was intense pressure on Bolton for the majority of the second half, only one team looked like winning it (Arsenal) but when your defence looks shakey all game, especially from set-pieces, you're always vulnerable to the sucker punch. Arsenal had plenty of good chances but they tried to score the perfect goal, it was always one pass too many or just awful finishing by Nasri.
Reply 9050
Our defence wasn't shaky all game, there was 3 bad moments, that's it...

I don't understand that. When a team gets behind Arsenals defence the defence is 'nervous' and 'shaky'. Happens to any of the other top teams in the league and nothing is said.

Arsenal apparently drop too many points from winning positions because of our 'crap defence', yet man utd have dropped more points than arsenal from winning positions this season (only dropped 1 point more, but still :tongue:).
Original post by natty_d
My bf was similarly upset :console:

yeh i bet he was...don't you support arsenal then (good thing if you don't)

:awesome:
Reply 9053
In my honest opinion, Wenger's time has come. He can resign as an all-time club and league managerial legend.

However, Arsenal need a competent replacement. They need to rebuild a few gaping cracks, psychologically the club is scorned with doubt and belief; the players simply don't believe; they're fighting but they don't know what to do because they're lost and without any leader.

If they could crumble after all the advantages they had made for themselves prior to the Carling Cup Final, they will never do it.

Wenger took it upon himself to part with his winning formula. We bought a stadium and this is almost undeniable that it has significantly impacting on our budget, but regardless, the faith Arsene has kept in the players has been immense. 2007/08 was our best year since the start of the Ashburton Grove era, we had an awesome team but even they capitulated late in the season and Ronaldo fired 42 goals, but they as a team were much better than the teams after them.

With Arsene at the helm, I can confidently say Arsenal will remain trophyless for another three seasons.

A new manager will improve this team immensely. Arsenal need a new manager with new ideas who can play an effective style of football, be tactically astute and bring in the players that can thrive in this environment.
Reply 9054
One win in nine. The capitulation is quite staggering this time around...
Reply 9055
Man utd have dropped 14 points from winning positions this season
Arsenal have dropped 13.

Man utd have won 11 points from losing positions,
Arsenal have won 10
I think the scariest thing is despite how badly we've been playing, if we had only held onto our 2 goal leads this season (spurs twice, newcastle), we would have 7 more points and would be well in with a shout....
if, if, if, if...story of Arsenal in the last few years.
Original post by Zionic
Man utd have dropped 14 points from winning positions this season
Arsenal have dropped 13.

Man utd have won 11 points from losing positions,
Arsenal have won 10
United away form this season has been really bad, thats well documented. The performance at home has been brilliant.

A winning position doesn't tell the whole story, Chelsea for example, we were hardly dominating that game, yet that goes down as a lost from a winning position.
Original post by Zionic
I'm not disagreeing with you, he isn't the most talented footballer in the team, but he does get the job done when playing, and he's chipped in with very vital goals for us this season.

Well I posted this before todays game what do you think? He was very comfortable when he looked good because the whole team was on fire. He is a good squad player but not one for the first team. He is unpressurised.
Original post by Psychotic546
This is actually exactly what I want for next year. I do disagree about our full backs though. I think Clichy is a good defender and well who's better? When going forward it's not really his fault he's left to cross in. He can't cross properly and there's no one to aim for anyway.

I think the 5 man midfield we have (there's no way we play a 4-3-3 currently) is a huge problem. It slows us down far too much. Fabregas does play deep and Wilshere with him could hold the centre imo. I don't think we need a DM, United manage fine without one.

Also TV with Djourou at CB if he's back.

Again I posted this before todays match....Clichy is a liability... if you analyse his game properly he makes a hatfull of mistakes consistently. He has only ever had one good season and that is when Cole left. If you want to sort out our defensive issues then Clichy has to be dropped/go.

Latest