University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

university of Hertfordshire is it any good

for either psychology, management, business, history
thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
my sister goes there to do pharmacy and from wat shes told me they re very good but very very strict!!!!
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
For History, it's excellent. Herts do a good business course, also. Generally, the uni is mid-ranked, but the Independent placed the uni in the top 45. Out of all of the unis established in 1992, it is one of the best.
Reply 3
i heard its very good for a social scene too
Reply 4
How about Operations and Supply Chain Management in UH, is it good? It is under Engineering Department.
Reply 5
I live near it, theres NO night life, rubbish shopping etc so if thats what you're looking for then no the uni is awful
I met an exchange student from California who went there the other day, shes spent her year alone because no one goes out and they're all very much in their own groups in terms of culture :frown:
The course/gym/accommodation might be good/OK but nothing else about it is
Reply 6
Original post by Basmati
I live near it, theres NO night life, rubbish shopping etc so if thats what you're looking for then no the uni is awful
I met an exchange student from California who went there the other day, shes spent her year alone because no one goes out and they're all very much in their own groups in terms of culture :frown:

There are loads of places to go out to if you know where to go :wink:
You live in St Albans! no nightlife? what are you on about :s-smilie: There are loads of great bars in st. albans!

Stevenage has a large shopping area, it's about 20 min by bus and like 10 min by trains from Hatfield. Besides .. 20 min by train and you are in London centre. Perhaps there is no great shopping area in Hatfield to spend like hours on end but they is more than enough around!

It's a shame that an exchange student from the US spent the whole year on her own. Going abroad to study should be an exciting experience though I still feel that if you WANT to meet people and you are OPEN to meeting new people then there are LOADS of ways to do that :/

I completely understand you hold this immense grudge against hertfordshire but that's probably because you lived here all your life ^^ but from an outsider, having lived in Herts for the last few years now, I can tell you that it really isn't THAT bad - I have seen far worst places.

I don't think we are going to agree lol so let's just agree to dissagree ^^
Reply 7
Original post by Pop_tart
There are loads of places to go out to if you know where to go :wink:
You live in St Albans! no nightlife? what are you on about :s-smilie: There are loads of great bars in st. albans!

Stevenage has a large shopping area, it's about 20 min by bus and like 10 min by trains from Hatfield. Besides .. 20 min by train and you are in London centre. Perhaps there is no great shopping area in Hatfield to spend like hours on end but they is more than enough around!

It's a shame that an exchange student from the US spent the whole year on her own. Going abroad to study should be an exciting experience though I still feel that if you WANT to meet people and you are OPEN to meeting new people then there are LOADS of ways to do that :/

I completely understand you hold this immense grudge against hertfordshire but that's probably because you lived here all your life ^^ but from an outsider, having lived in Herts for the last few years now, I can tell you that it really isn't THAT bad - I have seen far worst places.

I don't think we are going to agree lol so let's just agree to dissagree ^^

on your point about sta nightlife, theres what, lloyds snug oniels keys batch and veeda, thats really not enough to sustain any interest
been to forum, not that great and full of creeps every time
luton etc all chavvy
seriously, where do you go thats any good??
There is some irony in saying there's no nightlife and then naming six bars/clubs in St Albans and the student union which has four bars in it too....

What Basmati really means is that there is no nightlife that she personally likes.
Reply 9
Original post by thecurators
There is some irony in saying there's no nightlife and then naming six bars/clubs in St Albans and the student union which has four bars in it too....

What Basmati really means is that there is no nightlife that she personally likes.

OK so theres a few places to go, its not nearly enough to make the nightlife of the uni anything to write home about
im just saying if its something you were looking for in a uni, then maybe herts isnt the place for you
also, we like sta nightlife, its so bad its good. but there's no way as a uni student i would be happy with it
Original post by thecurators

I think quite a lot of people will be comparing to the nightlife in big cities like Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, etc.

So 10 bars doesn't sound like much compared to that. But then students tend to go to the established student nights in big cities anyway, rather than going to a different bar every time they go out, so once you get to 10/15 bars it doesn't really make a difference (providing they've all good a good, student-friendly atmosphere).
Original post by Basmati
OK so theres a few places to go, its not nearly enough to make the nightlife of the uni anything to write home about
im just saying if its something you were looking for in a uni, then maybe herts isnt the place for you
also, we like sta nightlife, its so bad its good. but there's no way as a uni student i would be happy with it

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. I'm not in the least bit into clubbing, so I can't comment on how good/bad clubs are either in the uni or the local area, but - just for having a drink out with friends - I really like St Albans for the wide choice of pubs and have also been to the Elehouse on campus several times and never once found it unbearable.

Personally, I think there's a lot more to the university experience than going out clubbing all the time - the quality of tuition, range of opportunities, industry contact and facilities are far more important. Herts has one of the best libraries in the country and one of only about two or three that are open 24/7 (the only other one I know of is the Open University) - that's what's going to help you get through your degree.

And if you have a good group of friends, you can pretty much have fun wherever you happen to be :smile:
Reply 12
Doesn't St Albans have more pubs/bar's per square mile than anywhere else in Britain? Albeit some are full of let's say, mature people. Watford isn't too bad on a night out and isn't too far away.
Reply 13
Original post by Tyler.
Doesn't St Albans have more pubs/bar's per square mile than anywhere else in Britain?

we do :smile: but doesn't mean they're all worth a visit, some are really (the snug, the cock inn, blue anchor) but they're often the realllly expensive ones to

and to thecurators obviously theres a lot more to uni than clubbing, its just the only thing that i could comment on that might have been useful was the nightlife

aaand to angelmxxx, when you find 10/15 decent cheap places to go, don't keep it a secret
Reply 14
I' m just finishing my first year at uni of herts and its well worth going to. Everyone is SO Friendly, i'm friends with all different groups of people and even last night when we went to the ele (uni pub) all 10 of were different nationalities..... and always get on great. Nightlife i wouldn't be able to tell you much as i tend to stick to the Forum as its a lot of fun when with a great bunch of friends.
Reply 15
The university itself is top out of all unis that used to be polytechnics, so it's pretty damn good. The social scene can be a little slow at times, what with there only being one decent club, but if your in a sports club they throw socials all the time (climbing club is excellent btw). If you have a little more money there is always london, which is relatively cheap to get to on the train (about £8 return and 25 minutes). Your best bet is definitely sports clubs though, the atmosphere and social attitude of the clubs is amazing, you can instantly make a group of 30-odd friends that will stay with throughout uni.
Reply 16
Original post by Basmati

i agree. i live there and its just so boring! there batchwood which isnt too bad but no i completely see where your coming fromm :smile: x
Reply 17
Original post by qwerty1993
i agree. i live there and its just so boring! there batchwood which isnt too bad but no i completely see where your coming fromm :smile: x

I agree with both of you, a night out is pretty much x keys, o neils then batchwood bus to batch which i've never actually enjoyed. And forum is just soo seedy and they let anyone in so you don't even get the 'uni of herts' buzz.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by KKKKatie
I agree with both of you, a night out is pretty much x keys, o neils then batchwood bus to batch which i've never actually enjoyed. And forum is just soo seedy and they let anyone in so you don't even get the 'uni of herts' buzz.

Yh no i went to the forum for nye. they didnt even for my id. Or the people behind us who were 17. just a bit humph really. but there is watford to be fair x
Original post by c_hannah
i'm currently looking for unis, Hertfordshire offers my course economics and events management, but some of the reviews on location haven't been great, whats the area like?

wheres the local gym?
and is there a lot of opportunity for joining clubs, like enrichment etc?:biggrin:
is there like any open space parks and that or is it quite towny?

The area isn't that great. In fact, it's quite rubbish. The first time I walked through the town centre I was like WTF is this?!

There are a few gyms in Hatfield. I go to the uni one. Depends how much money you want to spend on a membership and what you want from the gym really.

I suggest that you go to have a look at the uni and spend some time looking around the area too.

There isn't really much here. But it's what you make of it really. You can have fun if you meet the right people and don't sit around complaining how bored you are :smile:

London is really close and isn't that hard to get to, so I spend quite a bit of spare time there rather than in Hatfield.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending