The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Normandy114
I know that feeling so much. I've done about 1/5th of what I planned to do today, and that comes after two weeks of procrastinating too. The next month is going to be one hell of a cram :redface:

Cramming isn't too bad an idea- the closer to the exam you revise, the more likely you are to remember.
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Same, and I think AQA gets a lot of undeserved hatred. :colondollar: Yeah HSW sucks but it's probs a good skill for potential scientists to have.

Haha, I get what you mean, I explained how the heart works to my five year old sister for the unit 1 exam. Must be quite nice for your dad to be learning alongside you. :smile: It is really hard to believe, DNA must be so small. And yet it more or less defines us... it is us. :eek:

I know what you mean, I think textbook learning is inevitable. But it's just how you have to word the answers and stuff that gets me. And sometimes not knowing what the hell the question is asking. :s-smilie: Also, June 2009 paper, there was a question on how you'd test for starch... COME ON! My memory good is not enough for that! :p:

Ah, as long as you can cram your past papers. :smile: I have the same attitude towards French (reading, listening, writing) as you do to Physics because it's on the 6th June... here's hoping it doesn't backfire.

Thanks. :smile: Yeah, that's all you need to do for GCSE and AS Level really.... but I always get lazy and never learn answers so end up improvising. :s-smilie: It's not good, but memorising French is sooooo boring.

Lol, congrats, group high five to all of us for reaching 100 pages. :colone:

Forgot to add this to previous post:
=
I do a language at a level as well (German) and did French + German at GCSE - didn't revise one bit for either for any exam, and came out with A*s :biggrin: - improvised everything in the speaking :colondollar:
Original post by thegodofgod
That's the easiest question ever!

Starch - Iodine, starch present if it turns blue/black.

Protein - Biuret test, protein present if it turns lilac.

Fat - rub sample onto filter paper, add a few drops of ethanol, if it goes translucent, fat is present.

Easy maybe, but we cover that in unit 1, not unit 2 and my head's too filled up with root pressure/lymph to remember all that stuff! :p:
Just checked my A2 text book, not in there either. Lucky me :wink:

I hate you. :hmmm:

Spoiler

Lucky you! I guess you have a photographic memory? I have an auditory memory, most pointless memory ever. :p:

Ah, true, I think there are only about two or three for group 2, but I'd rather there were 0 because the equations are on top of the trends and all that stuff. :frown:

We didn't do extraction of metals at GCSE... we did double not triple, that might've been it. :dontknow:
There's all the stuff you listed to remember plus If it's Fe2O3 or the other way around... for every single metal, boo hoo. But I'll get there. :biggrin:

I hope

I did double as well - stupid school didn't allow me to do triple :rant:

Did you do AQA Science at GCSE? That might have been the reason :dontknow:

Iron (II) oxide - FeO
Iron (III) oxide - Fe2O3 - haematite ore
Titanium (IV) chloride - TiCl4
Titanium (IV) oxide - TiO2
Copper (I) oxide - Cu2O
Copper (II) oxide - CuO
Chromate ion - CrO42-
Dichromate ion - Cr2O72-
Tungsten (VI) oxide - WO3
I've not done extraction of metals at GCSE or A level, looks like a good thing :tongue:

Just lots of boring equations - not that interesting :redface:
Easy maybe, but we cover that in unit 1, not unit 2 and my head's too filled up with root pressure/lymph to remember all that stuff! :p:

I remembered that from Year 7 Science! :lolwut:
I hate you. :hmmm:

Spoiler

:tongue: Gotta love edexcel some times.
I remembered that from Year 7 Science! :lolwut:

Then you have an abnormally impressive memory. :p:
Forgot to add this to previous post:
=
I do a language at a level as well (German) and did French + German at GCSE - didn't revise one bit for either for any exam, and came out with A*s :biggrin: - improvised everything in the speaking :colondollar:

So you're feeling confident about the speaking exam, I take it? :p:

I almost missed my French GCSE reading... I had lost my exam timetable and my friend told me the exam was the next day. :frown:
Original post by navarre
Cramming isn't too bad an idea- the closer to the exam you revise, the more likely you are to remember.

Very true on the more likely to remember bit, but I find I only get good results if I understand most of the subject :rolleyes: I relish the days of doing GCSEs when we could have crammed the day before and still come out with an A* :redface:
So you're feeling confident about the speaking exam, I take it? :p:

I almost missed my French GCSE reading... I had lost my exam timetable and my friend told me the exam was the next day. :frown:

Plus, since I'm Indian, my mum gets more worried / stressed out because of these exams than me :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1992
Having to learn the whole of S1 now because every moment I had during my statistics lessons was spent imagining I was anywhere else. It's not so bad now that I'm learning using the textbook but at the time I found the content so boring.

Sometimes I wonder how much worse off we'd really be if we just had textbooks instead of teachers. I think their main real role is just to be there to push us through it. Then again there are a few things which could do with proper explanations.
Original post by Crushy
Having to learn the whole of S1 now because every moment I had during my statistics lessons was spent imagining I was anywhere else. It's not so bad now that I'm learning using the textbook but at the time I found the content so boring.

Sometimes I wonder how much worse off we'd really be if we just had textbooks instead of teachers. I think their main real role is just to be there to push us through it. Then again there are a few things which could do with proper explanations.

I do that for all subjects. Sleep at 2 am then up at 7, you can't possibly do anything but daydream in lessons. Near exams I learn all content from the textbook, then do past papers; I'm yet to find fault with this method.
Original post by Crushy

Unrelated to your post, but LOL at your sig :lol:
Original post by Crushy

I can't imagine teaching myself Physics from a text book...
(edited 13 years ago)
Has anyone got any good resources for chemistry and physics as?

Physics OCR b and Chemistry F331 and F332 (salters) ??

Would really appreciate it :/

I really want to study medicine, but I'm afraid of failing these exams and not getting a place. This is kinda the last chance I have of doing what I want to do :frown:
Original post by Thehornet
Has anyone got any good resources for chemistry and physics as?

Physics OCR b and Chemistry F331 and F332 (salters) ??

Would really appreciate it :/

I really want to study medicine, but I'm afraid of failing these exams and not getting a place. This is kinda the last chance I have of doing what I want to do :frown:

http://pastpapers.org/

OCR chem and physics on there. Not sure if B or salters are, because I'm not really sure what they are.
Original post by SteveCrain
http://pastpapers.org/

OCR chem and physics on there. Not sure if B or salters are, because I'm not really sure what they are.

Thanks a bunch!!
:colondollar:
Reply 1999
Original post by Davidragon
I can't imagine teaching myself Physics from a text book...

I basically taught my self physics from about 5 different textbooks from our school library, (i fall a sleep in class quite a bit) apart from the mechanics bits we did that in maths (maths is fun) .

Latest

Trending

Trending