The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9060
Original post by doggyfizzel
United away form this season has been really bad, thats well documented. The performance at home has been brilliant.

A winning position doesn't tell the whole story, Chelsea for example, we were hardly dominating that game, yet that goes down as a lost from a winning position.

The point I'm making is that when Arsenal lose a lead our defence gets targetd as 'shaky' and 'nervous', but when it happens to man utd they don't criticize their defence or anything.
They weaker teams in the prem go all out against arsenal but are more conservative when playing Chelsea and Man utd. if Man utd played Bolton today they probably would have won even if they play worse, the dynamics of game would be totally different
Original post by TommyWannabe
Thoughts from the game;

RVP and Fabregas were excellent all match. Both making plays when those around them were failing to do so. Nasri was good but his finishing was obviously off. He's gone off the boil over the past month or so but there's no blame attached to him. He's still reliable and great on the ball.

Arshavin was excellent, very energetic and full of running. He found space and made some excellent chases and crosses.

Now for the failures;

The defense is awful, as I have been saying time and time again. I have absolutely no idea how anyone can say that our back four is acceptable. They are truly terrible. This season has been lost entirely by the defense. As I said at the start of the season "Arsenal are never going to have a problem scoring goals - it is the defense where the weakness lies" and it has been proven absolutely true.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Cohen's goal is the one that makes Fabregas leave Arsenal. I wouldn't blame him. I've been an Arsenal fan all my life and I'd feel sick to be on the same pitch as some of those wasters.

Cesc did not have a brilliant game. You can tell from his body language his heart is not in it anymore...disinterested is the word. He has accepted defeat. However that being said he is our best player and still stood out from the rest even on an average day...
Original post by Billa Bong

yeh i bet he was...don't you support arsenal then (good thing if you don't)

I do support Arsenal. It's one of the things we have in common. He's actually on TSR :ninja:

I remember my dad taking me to Highbury lots when I was a lot younger (haven't been to the Emirates :no:) and I remember being excited by seeing Henry, Parlour, Pires :coma:, Ljungberg, WILTTTTTTTTTTTTORD, Keown, Viera, Kanu :love:, many other players that I could go onto the name. I want to get excited about Arsenal again - I want this team to do well ffs :frown:

There is something fundamentally wrong with this squad or team. I don't know exactly what it is but this team has just ****ed up too many times now. It's beyond a joke. We may play beautiful football but there's something missing with some of these players and they need to go. I'm not saying we need a major apocalypse to happen or need to do some major clearout but maybe this team needs to come 6th or something so they learn their lesson well. We always seem to have a plaster for every sore (injuries, the ref, some epic 90th minute penalty, defence crumble, bobble spectacle off a player and into the net). I know it's about luck and stuff - but if that's the case we must be seriously seriously cursed. (Juju - Man Utd fans? :colonhash:)

Some of these players have it in the them - the Premier League was ours for the taking and completely ALL IN OUR HANDS (Chelsea and Man Utd have had weakened sides - but even then I have to rate some Utd players (Ferdinand, Vidic, Van Der Sar, Park - I've always liked him cos he always seems to just run his heart out) cos even though some of their team is ****, they play as a team and as if SAF is going to flykick them all if they fail) but OH NO we ruined it - AGAIN. WHY?

Man, I love Arsenal :daydreaming: :arsenal: and I always will :love: but enough is enough :frown:

I think they should let some of us fans into the dressing room :mmm:

Original post by Mastermind`
I've never really bought into reasons such as "they don't care enough"/"they're not bothered." I believe these are just other ways to say the players are not good enough. I think they cared enough out there, there was intense pressure on Bolton for the majority of the second half, only one team looked like winning it (Arsenal) but when your defence looks shakey all game, especially from set-pieces, you're always vulnerable to the sucker punch. Arsenal had plenty of good chances but they tried to score the perfect goal, it was always one pass too many or just awful finishing by Nasri.

No - we just try and pass the ball into the net for some reason. Sometimes I've been yelling SHOOT at the tv :facepalm2: Not like they can hear me :mmm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Zionic
The point I'm making is that when Arsenal lose a lead our defence gets targetd as 'shaky' and 'nervous', but when it happens to man utd they don't criticize their defence or anything.

It's the manner they have lost those leads, losing a 4-0 lead, losing a lead against 10 men, losing a 2-0 lead against your arch rivals at home, losing a 3-1 lead against your arch rivals away, etc. When it was happening to Man Utd we received criticism too, many have questioned the ability of Jonny Evans, some wanted him sold. But this was happening earlier in the season, it was a temporary crisis that we've sorted out I suppose.
I see nobody has a sense of humour :lol:
Reply 9066
JK.
OP
Starting to think the same about Clichy again myself. I was disappointed that everyone continued to slate him when he'd really picked up his game for a few months but during this crumble period he seems to be making a lot of the mistakes we'd become accustomed to before. Like I was saying about Djourou though, he's shown before that he's certainly got the ability, he's perhaps another one that really struggles mentally with defeat. Wenger just can't seem to find a way of managing players like that and he can't seem to find players to add to the side that can really pick those types of player up when defeat comes. The first time he went off the boil wasn't right after his good 06-07 season, it was the following February in the Birmingham game when Eddie got injured and he conceded (wrongfully so as he actually won the ball) a pen in the last minute which cost us the 3 points and started the crumble that season, which in turn has started crumbles at the same time every year.
Original post by Zionic
Yes they do, Evra in particular this season has been strongly criticised, for the first half of the season, one of the main talking points was how poor United defence was. Everton was a classic example, two goals in extra time.

Arsenal have conceded more goal in front of their own fans than any of the top 6 bar Spurs, that means even Liverpool have done better.
Original post by BlackVenom321
They weaker teams in the prem go all out against arsenal but are more conservative when playing Chelsea and Man utd. if Man utd played Bolton today they probably would have won even if they play worse, the dynamics of game would be totally different

STFU! 68% possession and you manage 1 goal?

Bolton had 3 corners and you conceded from 2 of them?

Arsenal had more possession, more corners, more shots, and still lost.

Teams don't go all out against Arsenal, but Bolton are 8th in the league hardly a weak team, and they took all 3 points today, I wouldn't have blamed them if they did go all out.
Original post by TinFish
Again I posted this before todays match....Clichy is a liability... if you analyse his game properly he makes a hatfull of mistakes consistently. He has only ever had one good season and that is when Cole left. If you want to sort out our defensive issues then Clichy has to be dropped/go.

Clichy is often mistake prone but I don't think he's that bad. Just can't cross to save his life - we need a CB and someone to potentially replace clichy though
Original post by Ronaldo VII
I see nobody has a sense of humour :lol:

pretty sure you won't be laughing after we beat you at home next week Ronnie :wink: and Chelsea win the league (L o L)

providing you lose to them, as well
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9071
Original post by Mastermind`
It's the manner they have lost those leads, losing a 4-0 lead, losing a lead against 10 men, losing a 2-0 lead against your arch rivals at home, losing a 3-1 lead against your arch rivals away, etc. When it was happening to Man Utd we received criticism too, many have questioned the ability of Jonny Evans, some wanted him sold. But this was happening earlier in the season, it was a temporary crisis that we've sorted out I suppose.

We haven't lost a lead against a 10 man team. We've lost leads against teams when we've had 10 men (we had 10 men v newcastle), but the newcasle game is a bit of a fluke tbh. The defending wasn't bad, just 2 dodgy penalties and a good goal that the keeper almost got a finger tip to.

Dropping 2 goal advantages against spurs, hurtful as it is, they're a good team. But that's it, only 3 times have we given away 2 goal leads

What about man utd then? When they conceded 2 goals in 2 minutes against Everton (previously leading 3-1) and then nearly lost the game. Or against west brom, at old trafford, when utd lost a 2-0 lead.

I don't understand though, when it happens to arsenal our defence is terrible, it happens to united, it gets mentioned but no real criticism from the media about how crap their defence is. Do you see my point?

Criticism is due where criticism is due. :smile:
Original post by natty_d
I do support Arsenal. It's one of the things we have in common. He's actually on TSR :ninja:

I remember my dad taking me to Highbury lots when I was a lot younger (haven't been to the Emirates :no:) and I remember being excited by seeing Henry, Parlour, Pires :coma:, Ljungberg, WILTTTTTTTTTTTTORD, Keown, Viera, Kanu :love:, many other players that I could go onto the name. I want to get excited about Arsenal again - I want this team to do well ffs :frown:

There is something fundamentally wrong with this squad or team. I don't know exactly what it is but this team has just ****ed up too many times now. It's beyond a joke. We may play beautiful football but there's something missing with some of these players and they need to go. I'm not saying we need a major apocalypse to happen or need to do some major clearout but maybe this team needs to come 6th or something so they learn their lesson well. We always seem to have a plaster for every sore (injuries, the ref, some epic 90th minute penalty, defence crumble, bobble spectacle off a player and into the net). I know it's about luck and stuff - but if that's the case we must be seriously seriously cursed. (Juju - Man Utd fans? :colonhash:)

Some of these players have it in the them - the Premier League was ours for the taking and completely ALL IN OUR HANDS (Chelsea and Man Utd have had weakened sides - but even then I have to rate some Utd players (Ferdinand, Vidic, Van Der Sar, Park - I've always liked him cos he always seems to just run his heart out) cos even though some of their team is ****, they play as a team and as if SAF is going to flykick them all if they fail) but OH NO we ruined it - AGAIN. WHY?

Man, I love Arsenal :daydreaming: :arsenal: and I always will :love: but enough is enough :frown:

I think they should let some of us fans into the dressing room :mmm:

ahh cool

i know right...those were the days mannn but we seriously lack leadership right now...we need a player to just keep everyone in check, someone like vieira and we need to stop trying to walk the ball into the net...i mean VP is the only one prepared to shoot from outside box nowadays (fabregas tries sometimes as well and unlucky not to score today)...and we need a better DM plus a better LB and maybe another clinical striker as well...apparently wenger is getting 40mil this summer so hopefully he spends all of that on quality players

and yeah they should so we can talk some sense into the players :rolleyes:

ahh cool

i know right...those were the days mannn but we seriously lack leadership right now...we need a player to just keep everyone in check, someone like vieira and we need to stop trying to walk the ball into the net...i mean VP is the only one prepared to shoot from outside box nowadays (fabregas tries sometimes as well and unlucky not to score today)...and we need a better DM plus a better LB and maybe another clinical striker as well...apparently wenger is getting 40mil this summer so hopefully he spends all of that on quality players

and yeah they should so we can talk some sense into the players :rolleyes:

Ah man I know. I don't know why they're so afraid of shooting. The ball needs to get into the net by ANY means necessary.

£40 million :zomg: I don't know if Wenger will spend it tbh :erm:
Reply 9074
Original post by Zionic
We haven't lost a lead against a 10 man team. We've lost leads against teams when we've had 10 men (we had 10 men v newcastle), but the newcasle game is a bit of a fluke tbh. The defending wasn't bad, just 2 dodgy penalties and a good goal that the keeper almost got a finger tip to.

Dropping 2 goal advantages against spurs, hurtful as it is, they're a good team. But that's it, only 3 times have we given away 2 goal leads

What about man utd then? When they conceded 2 goals in 2 minutes against Everton (previously leading 3-1) and then nearly lost the game. Or against west brom, at old trafford, when utd lost a 2-0 lead.

I don't understand though, when it happens to arsenal our defence is terrible, it happens to united, it gets mentioned but no real criticism from the media about how crap their defence is. Do you see my point?

Criticism is due where criticism is due. :smile:

You do realise that is 8 points given away.........................
The defence is terrible no statistics can hide the fact that we are vulnerable at the back.United defence is miles ahead in that regard.
It has been an absolutely terrible season you cannot deny that.
Reply 9075
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Clichy is often mistake prone but I don't think he's that bad. Just can't cross to save his life - we need a CB and someone to potentially replace clichy though

Clichy at least has pace and this has enabled him to make last ditch tackles.If he is replaced with a slower left back he will probably be less adventurous and be caught out for pace.
Original post by natty_d
Ah man I know. I don't know why they're so afraid of shooting. The ball needs to get into the net by ANY means necessary.

£40 million :zomg: I don't know if Wenger will spend it tbh :erm:

exactly...i was just like SHOOOOOOOOOOOOT at the end of the match...i mean they had so much possession and pressure but hardly tested the goalie

yup same here...looks like hazard is a possibility and he would cost in the region of 20mil but i doubt wenger would go above 15mil for anyone (no matter how good he is)...it's obvious we need to spend some money in order to bring in some silverware but mr wenger just doesn't seem to see that :indiff:
Original post by JK.
Why is it? Look at how Kos/Djourou performed against teams like Barca, it's commitment that's lacking, not ability. You can't seriously tell me that Djourou hasn't got it in him to beat Tamir ****ing Cohen to a ball. There's no need to waste to money when there's a much simpler way of improving the team.

Great post, this sums up what I believe Arsenal need.

Wenger has a decent policy. Young inexpensive signings can prove to be amazing. Take Hernandez for instance. Oh and massive signings can flop (Torres). People need to stop saying Wenger needs to spend more money when what you need is more motivated players who give 100% every time they walk out to the pitch. Take the cup final for instance. You lost that because of a lack of concentration.

This post is from a Man united fan who secretly hopes you never find this motivation. Was also hoping the title race would be over but Chelsea have popped up from nowhere :frown:
Original post by lukejoshjedi
pretty sure you won't be laughing after we beat you at home next week Ronnie :wink: and Chelsea win the league (L o L)

providing you lose to them, as well

Chelsea won't win all their remaining games. Their only chance was United dropping points yesterday and losing to both yourselves and Chelsea. We can now lose both of the next two games and still win it on goal difference at worst.
Original post by MoMatrix
You do realise that is 8 points given away.........................
The defence is terrible no statistics can hide the fact that we are vulnerable at the back.United defence is miles ahead in that regard.
It has been an absolutely terrible season you cannot deny that.

True facts.

when wenger tries to rationalise and make excuses for poor performances and or crappy defending it's like :facepalm2: - But he can talk his way out of just about anything it seems, I give him that

Latest