The Student Room Group

Want to do medicine, but have a huge problem. NEED HELP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by telephone
Apart from Birmingham who do indeed want a first, and you can also assume that you won't get into Oxbridge aswell without a first even though they ask for a 2:1.

hmm well i wasn't thinking of oxbridge but i'd like to study biochem at warwick, leicester or nottingham.
Apart from Birmingham who do indeed want a first, and you can also assume that you won't get into Oxbridge aswell without a first even though they ask for a 2:1.

If they ask for a 2:1 then it is possible to get in with a 2:1. Not rocket science really...

There might be lots of competition, but unis aren't in the habit of just making up entrance requirements.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
If they ask for a 2:1 then it is possible to get in with a 2:1. Not rocket science really...

There might be lots of competition, but unis aren't in the habit of just making up entrance requirements.

Copied and pasted from the tsr wiki:

Cambridge GCSE requirements: "Passes at grade A, B or C. However, successful applicants have normally obtained lots of A*s."

Why didn't they just make the requirement "lots of A*s" then?
Copied and pasted from the tsr wiki:

Cambridge GCSE requirements: "Passes at grade A, B or C. However, successful applicants have normally obtained lots of A*s."

Why didn't they just make the requirement "lots of A*s" then?

Because the key word was 'normallly i.e some won't'. In the example previously mentioned, obviously a first looks better than a 2:1, my point was that it is possible to get in with a 2:1, just as it is possible to get in with A's, B's and C's.
Because the key word was 'normallly i.e some won't'. In the example previously mentioned, obviously a first looks better than a 2:1, my point was that it is possible to get in with a 2:1, just as it is possible to get in with A's, B's and C's.

In an ideal world, yes.
In an ideal world, yes.

Yes...
Yes...

Indeed.
Indeed.

But saying things like you 'need' a first aren't strictly true you'll admit. People do, very occasionally, manage to get in with just (or even under) the entrance requirements.

Nothing wrong with optimism :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by Davidragon
16 days is plenty of time if you aren't learning it all for the first time. Two exams only shouldn't be too hard :|

got retakes bro so four and an english lit too. and i am learning it all :frown:
But saying things like you 'need' a first aren't strictly true you'll admit. People do, very occasionally, manage to get in with just (or even under) the entrance requirements.

Nothing wrong with optimism :smile:

No I agree there is absolutely nothing wrong with aiming high, and sure people do get in with lower grades but if someone does have lower grades then they would have to outperform others in the BMAT and interview which can be done but is certainly no easy feat.
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Their GCSE results aren't good enough for UEA

For foundation year I'm pretty sure they are, arn't they?
You have got a lot of harsh comments on here and that's only because some of these people know what they're talking about. It's not to discourage you just to be spiteful and it's not to say they think it's impossible.

Anyway, I'm a potential med student should I get the grades.
I suppose I'm just posting to show you that you don't need loads of A*'s and amazing work experience and stuff.

I got what I would consider mediocore/below average GCSE'S for medicine, I got an average chem grade in my AS ( though our college didn't declare our grades) and my UKCAT was ****ing awful.
However, somehow I managed to get 2 offers, 1 interview with rejection, 1 rejection and one interview which I declined.
I've just firmed Leeds and I think if a uni like that is prepared to take someone like me on then, seriously, everyone has a chance, they just need to work for it :smile:

Good luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by *Dustinthewind*
You have got a lot of harsh comments on here and that's only because some of these people know what they're talking about. It's not to discourage you just to be spiteful and it's not to say they think it's impossible.

Anyway, I'm a potential med student should I get the grades.
I suppose I'm just posting to show you that you don't need loads of A*'s and amazing work experience and stuff.

I got what I would consider mediocore/below average GCSE'S for medicine, I got an average chem grade in my AS ( though our college didn't declare our grades) and my UKCAT was ****ing awful.
However, somehow I managed to get 2 offers, 1 interview with rejection, 1 rejection and one interview which I declined.
I've just firmed Leeds and I think if a uni like that is prepared to take someone like me on then, seriously, everyone has a chance, they just need to work for it :smile:

Good luck.

That's amazing well done. Your inspiring!.
what was ur conditional offer for leeds?
Original post by breezybabe05
That's amazing well done. Your inspiring!.
what was ur conditional offer for leeds?

I really don't get how I got so lucky, but am so grateful I did :tongue:

AAA or ABB ( with the A having to be in chemistry)
To transfer you still have to have met the entry criteria for your A-levels i.e. 360 points from 3 A-levels, but BSMS accept resits as long as you weren't too far away from getting the grades first time around, so you should be fine. However you still need over 70% in your first year and have done at least six months of work experience in the year of applying for transfer. This would guarantee you an interview.

If you're applying after the first year then you need to have an A in both biology and chemistry though. If you're applying after the 3rd year then it's basically the same as any other biomed degree with a guaranteed interview after 3 years if you meet the criteria, at the expense of doing a course/being at a uni that not necessarily right for you.

There's also 1 guy (in 120) in the current first year who got in after a year of biochem at Sussex.
I really don't get how I got so lucky, but am so grateful I did :tongue:

AAA or ABB ( with the A having to be in chemistry)

wow, i really want to get good grades in my upcoming exams. i've been revising hard. i'm trying to learn my bio text book + past papers. i find chem easier than bio
Reply 116
Original post by Helloworld_95
you could try medical schools in other countries as sometimes it's easier to get in, however they're generally super expensive

On the **** school point, St. Georges will give out offers as low as BBCb, however you really need a Chemistry A level. So you'd need to do night school or something like that.

Have you thought about becoming a paramedic instead?

Can uniz actually offer us lower grades than the required ones?how does that happen?
Original post by cute_wish
Can uniz actually offer us lower grades than the required ones?how does that happen?

If your school is massively bad and you appear to be out performing the people in your school significantly and are still below the boundary (or something) they lower the grades required I think. So if your on BBBB but 90 % of your year got 4 D grades they will low the grade requirement?

Correct me if anyone doesn't think that sounds right.

For foundation year I'm pretty sure they are, arn't they?

Yeah but it depends if they meet the "They encourage applications from students who do not have personal experience of higher education or a family tradition of entering higher education and preference is given to students from East Anglia" criteria or not. Also, they need to have a B in English Language, Maths and at least one science, and it's not clear in the OP if they have that :smile:
Reply 119
Original post by Davidragon
If your school is massively bad and you appear to be out performing the people in your school significantly and are still below the boundary (or something) they lower the grades required I think. So if your on BBBB but 90 % of your year got 4 D grades they will low the grade requirement?

Correct me if anyone doesn't think that sounds right.

how will they know what other students in my college got ? :s-smilie:
that surely doesnt make sense to me ..I think there must be some other reason.why will they be so generous ?they have plenty of students applying for medicine then why will they do that :s-smilie:
what i personally feel is that they might prioritise something else more than the grades or if something else in the application compensates it, they lower the grades.I am not sure of it but i have a feeling that this is the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending