The Student Room Group

Perfect 45 points

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Oh and one bit of advice - do your EE in English or History. Or anything that's a proper 'essay' subject.. Not sure about if you went for an Oxbridge interview or anything, but I did mine in Maths thinking the unis would care - they didn't, and now I'm risking getting only 2 core points because I found a Maths EE really, really hard :/ :/
Reply 61
Original post by val0501
Oh and one bit of advice - do your EE in English or History. Or anything that's a proper 'essay' subject.. Not sure about if you went for an Oxbridge interview or anything, but I did mine in Maths thinking the unis would care - they didn't, and now I'm risking getting only 2 core points because I found a Maths EE really, really hard :/ :/

I also did a maths EE, but I did it on Rubik's cubes, a subject I know quite a lot lot about, making it easier (and more fun!) for me than most people's EE's. The problem with maths EEs is actually getting enough "mathsy" content in there. In the end I did "A statistical analysis of Rubik's Cube speedsolving methods, using human data", and most of the mathsy stuff was the statistical modelling and discussion about the accuracy of the mathematical techniques used.
Original post by val0501
I wouldn't necessarily say IB students are always asked for higher grades though - for example, some unis like Warwick want STEP from A levels if studying maths, whilst they don't need this from the IB student - a 7 in HL maths is enough. I'm not saying a 7 in maths is definitely easier than passing STEP, but I reckon it potentially is easier to study for... it all depends on what type of person you are. I remember going to their open day, though, and asking why it was the case that they don't need STEP, and I remember him saying something along the lines of "because in the past, all the IB students we've gotten have been very, very good."

Overall I reckon I maybe maybe might have done better with A levels - ha, I haven't even taken my IB exams yet but they're in 2 weeks and I'm just estimating - because they're modular and if you're the type that's good at memorizing, and studies hard for each exam you do, etc etc then you maybe could achieve the top A* level grades easier than getting a IB 7 - but I personally think the IB gives a more rounded education.. and I really did like CAS now I look back on it, as much as I whinged and whined at the time. So if i went back in time I don't know which I'd choose again. In 10 years' time hopefully I'll be saying IB.

Aside from all this though, that comment about grades getting remarked 4 marks higher scares me a bit..

I think you're underestimating how hard a 7 at HL maths is to get. Cambridge uni assessed the IB and they believe that someone who gets a 7 in HL maths is capable of an A* in maths and further maths and is 'a person of great mathematical capability' (or words to that effect). Standard Level maths more or less killed me and that was estimated to be 80-90% of the A level syllabus and I had 5 other subjects to do!
Reply 63
Original post by Aeschylus
I think you're underestimating how hard a 7 at HL maths is to get. Cambridge uni assessed the IB and they believe that someone who gets a 7 in HL maths is capable of an A* in maths and further maths and is 'a person of great mathematical capability' (or words to that effect). Standard Level maths more or less killed me and that was estimated to be 80-90% of the A level syllabus and I had 5 other subjects to do!

Haha, yes I know - was scared of coming off a bit ignorant about the 7 in HL maths at IB but I do know how hard it is - doing as many past papers as I can and I'm on the 6/7 borderline. But, I did the oxford MAT and failed miserably (I think) - and comparative to STEP, it's apparently waay easier. So I'm just saying personally I think an IB 7 is easier to study for than a grade at STEP - but then again, if you are the type who instinctively gets maths really quickly/easily rather than just by studying, then maybe you'd do better on STEP. Like I said, all depends on your person I reckon. :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by Hypocrism
I also did a maths EE, but I did it on Rubik's cubes, a subject I know quite a lot lot about, making it easier (and more fun!) for me than most people's EE's. The problem with maths EEs is actually getting enough "mathsy" content in there. In the end I did "A statistical analysis of Rubik's Cube speedsolving methods, using human data", and most of the mathsy stuff was the statistical modelling and discussion about the accuracy of the mathematical techniques used.

It sounds good :smile: what grade did you get for it? and I completely agree about the whole "making it mathsy enough" - that was the hardest part, definitely.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by val0501
It sounds good :smile: what grade did you get for it? and I completely agree about the whole "making it mathsy enough" - that was the hardest part, definitely.

I don't know I'm part of this May's cohort.

Just on the by-side, although the maths ability of people who get a 7 in HL maths is equivalent to an A/A* maths+FM, that's ability, not maths knowledge. The FM guys cover a huge amount more material than us and are normally better at it as well. The IB concentrates more on applying knowledge. Everyone doing past papers knows how variable they are - the same skills are used, but in different ways every year. The A-level concentrates very much on developing more skills, but not learning how to use them as much.

That's why there is so much difficulty in differentiating between HL and maths+FM for universities - they get a qualification that really says different things. The 7 says "I have an aptitude for maths, but I don't know a lot of it." The A* says "I know a lot of maths, but don't necessarily have an incredible aptitude."

But comparing SL maths to A-level is ridiculous. SL maths is on about the same level as C1 - I got the same mark when I sat C1 in year 11 as I did when we sat SL papers at the beginning of IB in year 12.
\Standard Level maths more or less killed me and that was estimated to be 80-90% of the A level syllabus and I had 5 other subjects to do!

No, you are overestimating the value of SL Maths drastically.
Original post by The Man of the Hour
No, you are overestimating the value of SL Maths drastically.

That's not my opinion

What cambridge thought:
(you can read for yourself at www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbooks/appendices)

Comparison between this course and A Level
As with other IB Mathematics courses, Mechanics is not studied at all, as it is regarded as a branch of Physics. This combined with the differing nature of assessment makes comparison difficult, but we would regard IB Mathematics SL as being equal in difficulty to A Level Mathematics, whilst containing some 80-90% of the content.

A comparison between IB Mathematics SL and Edexcel modules C1-C4, S1, S2 shows that the A level requires a basic knowledge of the trapezium rule, circle equations, the remainder theorem, iterative methods, partial fractions, parameters, the Poisson distribution, continuous distributions, and significance testing, all outside the SL syllabus, but contains nothing on matrices, which is a major topic in SL.

Personally I thought SL maths was tough but I am rubbish at maths but that is the opinion of a reputable university
"We feel that the IB examinations discriminate well at the top end 7/6/upper 5 grades. From our experience, a student with a mid-range 5 at IB HL would normally be capable of an A at A level, and a student with a 7 at IB HL is one of genuine insight and ability in the subject and is likely to be at least as strong if not stronger than an average A* Mathematics and Further Mathematics student."
Direct from Cambridge.

A level owned. IB pwns. :smile:
Reply 69
Regarding HL maths vs. A level maths/FM:
The main difference is in assessment. Each individual examination question can be, and often is, set on a wide range of ideas from across the syllabus, so students need to select the appropriate tool from their entire repertoire of skills. Therefore, this is not a course in which a weak student can be coached in techniques at the expense of understanding. The IB course and assessment also require confident use of a graphical calculator.

I'm impressed by their analysis. They seem to have really taken the time to get to grips with the IB system, and their comparisons to A level seem quite sound. Kudos to them.

The only problem is that after writing all of this they go off and ask people to get 42 points with 777 at HL. :-/
(edited 13 years ago)
That's not my opinion

What cambridge thought:
(you can read for yourself at www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbooks/appendices)

Comparison between this course and A Level
As with other IB Mathematics courses, Mechanics is not studied at all, as it is regarded as a branch of Physics. This combined with the differing nature of assessment makes comparison difficult, but we would regard IB Mathematics SL as being equal in difficulty to A Level Mathematics, whilst containing some 80-90% of the content.

A comparison between IB Mathematics SL and Edexcel modules C1-C4, S1, S2 shows that the A level requires a basic knowledge of the trapezium rule, circle equations, the remainder theorem, iterative methods, partial fractions, parameters, the Poisson distribution, continuous distributions, and significance testing, all outside the SL syllabus, but contains nothing on matrices, which is a major topic in SL.

Personally I thought SL maths was tough but I am rubbish at maths but that is the opinion of a reputable university

I was unaware of this source. Thanks for clarifying. :smile:
Reply 71
i heard only about 15 people a year get 45 IB points?
Reply 72
Original post by Nalced

That would've been many years ago when much fewer schools did IB. Nowadays it's about 80-90 a year.
Reply 73
Original post by Nalced

Apparently a school in singapore had 28 or 29 students get 45 in the Nov. 2010 exams. I know in Sydney of a school with 4 45's and one with at least 2 if not 3.
What's the deal about getting 45? You can easily get a 45 if you take easy subjects for you like ecosystems, maths studies etc. even if you're good at both science and math, or if you're fluent in a language yet take it at B level. A 38 with challenging subjects is much more impressive than a 45 with easy subjects. You should go to school aiming to learn as much as possible rather than aiming for a certain no of points.
Reply 75

I do understand that HL maths is hard, definitely comparable to the AEA papers at A Level and content of the Further Maths course, but I wouldn't say it's comparable to STEP - In my humble opinion, STEP is a lot about natural Mathematical ability and like someone said above, it's probably not as easy to revise for as such.

Saying that, the IB HL Mathematics course is EXTREMELY challenging. Having done Further Maths, I recently tried out some of the IB past papers - they are quite difficult.

Original post by CocoPop
I'm impressed by their analysis. They seem to have really taken the time to get to grips with the IB system, and their comparisons to A level seem quite sound. Kudos to them.

The only problem is that after writing all of this they go off and ask people to get 42 points with 777 at HL. :-/

I know right! I couldn't believe how detailed their analysis was! I was under the impression that Cambridge didn't understand the IB at all. All my friends who do IB and applied to Cambridge this year (all predicted 44 points) got rejected some after interview, some after pooling. So all the Oxbridge applicants at my school (wrongly) came to the conclusion that Cambridge might not understand the IB well enough, but it's nice to see that they do :smile:

And yes, agreed CocoPop, the do ask a lot out of IB students, despite seeming to understand that a 7 is as hard as achieving an A* (if not harder) :/
Maybe the problem lies in the fact that the people who interview you (Directors of Studies and such) don't quite understand the system well enough?
Original post by kpatb
I know right! I couldn't believe how detailed their analysis was! I was under the impression that Cambridge didn't understand the IB at all. All my friends who do IB and applied to Cambridge this year (all predicted 44 points) got rejected some after interview, some after pooling.

It's funny that you should mention that, actually. A friend of mine was predicted at 44 with 7, 7, 7 at HL Chem, Physics and Maths and got rejected by Cambridge. Honestly, we were all pretty shocked because she was far and away the brightest and most hard working person at our school.

I honestly believe that anyone who gets around 34 - 35 points can get three As at A levels, so it baffles me that these universities consistently ask for these grades.

Just my two cents.
guy at my school, english is his THIRD language (after German and Greek) applying for physics. predicted 45, maths, phys and chem HL, rejected from cambs after interview rejected from Yale, Princeton and Stanford (he got almost full marks on the SATs). and he is one of the nicest, most naturally kind people I have ever met, not to mention he is great at basketball, plays violin and guitar and piano at grade 8 standard... sometimes I really do wonder what these uni's are possibly looking for. I have a bad feeling it may be somewhat down to the fact that it is a state school, and therefore the 'tutoring' so to speak on how to get into these top uni's wasn't available to him, either that or he is massively unlucky/everyone hates the IB ha.
Reply 78
Original post by Commando3200
It's funny that you should mention that, actually. A friend of mine was predicted at 44 with 7, 7, 7 at HL Chem, Physics and Maths and got rejected by Cambridge. Honestly, we were all pretty shocked because she was far and away the brightest and most hard working person at our school.....

Original post by Ishamo
guy at my school, english is his THIRD language (after German and Greek) applying for physics. predicted 45...
I have a bad feeling it may be somewhat down to the fact that it is a state school, and therefore the 'tutoring' so to speak on how to get into these top uni's wasn't available to him, either that or he is massively unlucky/everyone hates the IB ha.

I do believe that though Cambridge as university probably have a good understanding of the IB.
But the individual interviewers may not be so well read up on the International Bac.

For Example, when they're finished with an interview, they have to give you a score based on your Interview performance, Exam Grades achieved and one other criteria which I think is submittedwork &/or Test results.

If an interviewer wasn't all that familiar with the IB, he MAY think a predicted score of 40 isn't as good as 4A*'s for example. That, added with the fact that IB predicted scores are based only on a teacher's prediction and not solid AS results as with the A level system would make them somewhat dubious of IB predictions.

(This is just my opinion, I don't know for certain.)

I don't think it has anything in particular about being from a state school - Even if his educational background DID play a part in the admissions decision (which I doubt it would have, given the level of access work Cam do nowadays) he would be on level footing with A level kids from state schools anyway.

I don't know, it confuses me D:
Reply 79
Original post by Ishamo
guy at my school, english is his THIRD language (after German and Greek) applying for physics. predicted 45, maths, phys and chem HL, rejected from cambs after interview rejected from Yale, Princeton and Stanford (he got almost full marks on the SATs). and he is one of the nicest, most naturally kind people I have ever met, not to mention he is great at basketball, plays violin and guitar and piano at grade 8 standard... sometimes I really do wonder what these uni's are possibly looking for. I have a bad feeling it may be somewhat down to the fact that it is a state school, and therefore the 'tutoring' so to speak on how to get into these top uni's wasn't available to him, either that or he is massively unlucky/everyone hates the IB ha.

slight deviation on the thread topic:

I know who you aaaaare :P

-_-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending