The Student Room Group

AS students: how far are you in your revision?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by LifeIsGood
Can you help me please?
Any general tips on the exams and how to tackle the Vectors questions - all of them are so difficult!

I'll post here instead of PMing you in case it benefits other people! Have you got any particular examples for the vector questions?
I have six exams; four require hardcore revision and the other two I can get away with little revision.

And yeah, my revision, uhhh... I might start today? Who knows.
Original post by Groat
I'll post here instead of PMing you in case it benefits other people! Have you got any particular examples for the vector questions?

This is going to sound realy selfish, but can I post it up tomorrow? I'm doing Biology revision right now :redface:
Reply 143
Original post by LifeIsGood
This is going to sound realy selfish, but can I post it up tomorrow? I'm doing Biology revision right now :redface:

That's more than understandable! Just quote me and I'll reply as soon as possible.
Reply 144
Original post by Groat
Are you doing OCR Biology? I'll swap my Maths revision for your Biology revision. :colone:

Nope, I'm doing AQA Biology. However, I'll gladly hand over my Maths revision - so glad I'm dropping it next year. I will no longer have to care about sin, cos, tan or anything even related to maths.

I just tried out some biology past papers and was really suprised to see the amount of marks I lost just because I didn't put in the correct word - I knew what to write, but just missing out a few key words lost me so many marks. :frown: Guess I gotta work on my exam technique.

Original post by CeeTay
How are you finding M1, i'm struggling quite a bit to say the least. i'm ploughing through past papers and i believe that i am slowly getting the hang of it but not with much confidence.
i'm finding c2 okay atm tho so maybe we could share expertise? :biggrin:

I'm finding M1 alright - after a while you get used to the questions on the papers. Although I've sometimes come across some really difficult questions which I can't work out by myself. I really hope I'll be able to do them properly by the time it comes to my exam, because these usually tend to be the questions which give you alot of marks.
Just keep doing the past papers and you should get used to it - and there are alot of geniuses on this forum to help you. :tongue:

It's just C2 I'm worried about really - those horrible arithmetic and geometric progressions. >_<
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 145
Original post by Angury

I'm finding M1 alright - after a while you get used to the questions on the papers. Although I've sometimes come across some really difficult questions which I can't work out by myself. I really hope I'll be able to do them properly by the time it comes to my exam, because these usually tend to be the questions which give you alot of marks.
Just keep doing the past papers and you should get used to it - and there are alot of geniuses on this forum to help you. :tongue:

It's just C2 I'm worried about really - those horrible arithmetic and geometric progressions. >_<

i'm using examsolutions, trying a question.. (or looking at it and being like WHAT?!) then they have a video going through it.. it's brilliant :biggrin:
and with those.. just remember, you get the formula in the booklet :biggrin:
Reply 146
Crap this thread scared me.
I will start today! Anyone else left it this late?
--I HATE S1! :frown:
ive got 4 exams on the SAME DAY!
maths
biology
religous studies
philosophy-------------------------3 of these subjects are aqa based..no wonder. nasty examiners!
!
anyone else got this problem
Reply 148
Original post by many.stars..
ive got 4 exams on the SAME DAY!
maths
biology
religous studies
philosophy-------------------------3 of these subjects are aqa based..no wonder. nasty examiners!
!
anyone else got this problem

I've got three on one day. Am not a happy bunny. But it has been known for people to have like six of something ridiculous! If the hours total to more than 6 you can apply to have a supervised over-night stay and do some of them the next day.
Reply 149
This thread may be getting a bit stale now, but I'm still interested to hear how everyone is in their revision (you know, compare progression and whatnot). I've basically finished going through the bio 2, chem 1 and chem 2 specs and now need to go over them (as I've forgotten most the stuff already :tongue:), understand and do past papers. In terms of chinese I am fuuuuuuu*ked...my first (oral) exam is in 10 days :s so I guess past papers and practice, practice, practice speaking! Art I've got a hell of a lot of coursework to do and english....well, I don't even know how to start revising for english :s
Reply 150
Original post by Chaofan88
This thread may be getting a bit stale now, but I'm still interested to hear how everyone is in their revision (you know, compare progression and whatnot). I've basically finished going through the bio 2, chem 1 and chem 2 specs and now need to go over them (as I've forgotten most the stuff already :tongue:), understand and do past papers. In terms of chinese I am fuuuuuuu*ked...my first (oral) exam is in 10 days :s so I guess past papers and practice, practice, practice speaking! Art I've got a hell of a lot of coursework to do and english....well, I don't even know how to start revising for english :s

Maths: Past papers are going well. Statistics could do with a bit of polishing, but I'm pretty confident now.

Biology: I've finished making notes on Unit 1 and have a very small bit of Unit 2 left. Then it's past papers and memorising key definitions from thereon!

Economics: I've finished making notes and have started some past papers. Just broadening my knowledge my keeping up with the news and reading articles.

English Literature: Who knows? :colondollar:
Original post by Groat

Maths: Going good, just doing more papers now, gunna try Solomon ones
English Lit:: Mainly just getting timing for the essays sorted
Psychology: Good, going over notes now by making flashcards for each study
History: Need to revise content more and go over exam technique
Reply 152
Original post by Expendable
Maths: Going good, just doing more papers now, gunna try Solomon ones
English Lit:: Mainly just getting timing for the essays sorted
Psychology: Good, going over notes now by making flashcards for each study
History: Need to revise content more and go over exam technique

I can't PM you (think you've blocked settings), but have you got any useful stuff on AUDEN for A04? Thanks
Original post by EffKayy
I can't PM you (think you've blocked settings), but have you got any useful stuff on AUDEN for A04? Thanks

What poems are you doing for Auden :smile: We've only covered 2 so far :redface: Miss Gee and O What is that sound
Reply 154
What poems are you doing for Auden :smile: We've only covered 2 so far :redface: Miss Gee and O What is that sound

1st september 1939, ode, as i walked out one evening, if i could tell you, o what is that sound, o where are you going and Miss Gee.
So all of the ones we have to do.

We've finished them in terms of notes/class work on it!

How come you've only done two!?
Original post by Chaofan88
The title is pretty explanatory.

I'm taking 5 A-levels, and have 6 exams this summer. I've covered about 1/2 of the unit 2 chemistry spec, 1/4 of the bio spec, am yet to look at the chemistry unit 1 spec (I'm retaking), and have done very little in the way of English lit and chinese revision and feel I've left everything a bit late, especially as I've got art coursework to do this easter :frown:

I got 5 exams c3 fp1 physicsunit 2 chemunit 2 biounit 2 im in yr12. Finished the theory for c3 physics and almost bio( just second half of the biodiversity crap), dun a third o chem and no fp1
Original post by EffKayy
1st september 1939, ode, as i walked out one evening, if i could tell you, o what is that sound, o where are you going and Miss Gee.
So all of the ones we have to do.

We've finished them in terms of notes/class work on it!

How come you've only done two!?

We do another one to make it three. So all in all we have;

Section A - Great Gatsby
Section B - The Kite Runner, Keats [1 Major 2 minor - The Eve of St Agnes, Lamia, La Belle Dame Sans Merci], Auden [1 Major 2 minor - ???, Miss Gee, O What Is That Sound]

We've finished everything apart from the last Auden one [presumably the major one though
Reply 157
We do another one to make it three. So all in all we have;

Section A - Great Gatsby
Section B - The Kite Runner, Keats [1 Major 2 minor - The Eve of St Agnes, Lamia, La Belle Dame Sans Merci], Auden [1 Major 2 minor - ???, Miss Gee, O What Is That Sound]

We've finished everything apart from the last Auden one [presumably the major one though

So you don't study them all? Your school perhaps wants you to do it for section B then? Hmm I thought we had to do them all (?)

I'm doing Section A - great gatsby
Section B - Auden, Enduring love and Tennyson (oh god I hate tennyson).

Predicting Chapter 1 to come up for gatsby, hopefully.

EDIT: Amazing coursework marks! 58/60 :O :L
I got 27/30 for one, dunno about the other.
Original post by EffKayy
So you don't study them all? Your school perhaps wants you to do it for section B then? Hmm I thought we had to do them all (?)

I'm doing Section A - great gatsby
Section B - Auden, Enduring love and Tennyson (oh god I hate tennyson).

Predicting Chapter 1 to come up for gatsby, hopefully.

EDIT: Amazing coursework marks! 58/60 :O :L
I got 27/30 for one, dunno about the other.

Yeah we've been told we have to do it for Section B so we don't have to study as many of the poems I think. Apparently for Section B you only need to write on 2 each in the exam? So a major/minor for each poet and then the novel. I have a lot of notes for Gatsby/Auden anyway that I can hopefully upload later, which may be useful.

Have you done any mocks for English yet? We've only done Section A ones (with a section B question for homework). The only problem, I think, is that it's pretty tight on timing.

Haha thanks, and nice :biggrin: what did you do your coursework on? We did Othello & Death of a Salesman [I'm so bored of American Dream related novels now :frown:].

You're doing Psychology too? What exam board's that on?
Reply 159
Yeah we've been told we have to do it for Section B so we don't have to study as many of the poems I think. Apparently for Section B you only need to write on 2 each in the exam? So a major/minor for each poet and then the novel. I have a lot of notes for Gatsby/Auden anyway that I can hopefully upload later, which may be useful.

Have you done any mocks for English yet? We've only done Section A ones (with a section B question for homework). The only problem, I think, is that it's pretty tight on timing.

Haha thanks, and nice :biggrin: what did you do your coursework on? We did Othello & Death of a Salesman [I'm so bored of American Dream related novels now :frown:].

You're doing Psychology too? What exam board's that on?

Only two? That's fab then. As Ode is pretty horrible as well as 1st september 1939. I'll stick with Miss Gee and O where are you going/O what is that sound.

Not any mocks really, just essay questions for homework. Been getting Band 5's. I really do not know what I can do to push it up to a 6, honestly. So frustrating :L

I did my coursework on Othello and Death of a salesman too, it was awful! My death of a salesman one was horrendous, so i've probably got a low mark in that!

I do AQA A for psychology :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest