The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by .:excel4100%:.
This really needs to be updated.......Lehman as top 7 lol :P

What would you say is the top 7 IBs for FO now?

Well, i think it's generally believed that the top 5 are Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JPMorgan, Credit Suisse, and Deutsche Bank. Then looking at these rankings maybe Barcap (who remember acquired a lot of Lehman Brothers investment banking bits) and UBS; although Bank of America are up there a bit too.

http://fn.dealogic.com/fn/DCMRank.htm

http://fn.dealogic.com/fn/ECMRank.htm

http://fn.dealogic.com/fn/MARank.htm
Original post by orca92
Well, i think it's generally believed that the top 5 are Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JPMorgan, Credit Suisse, and Deutsche Bank. Then looking at these rankings maybe Barcap (who remember acquired a lot of Lehman Brothers investment banking bits) and UBS; although Bank of America are up there a bit too.

http://fn.dealogic.com/fn/DCMRank.htm

http://fn.dealogic.com/fn/ECMRank.htm

http://fn.dealogic.com/fn/MARank.htm

In EMEA.

Goldman, Stanley, JP, Citi & BAML in America.
Reply 282
Original post by 100
-

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable in the area so I'd like to ask you what you think about my decision to turn down Queen Mary and Cass undergrad business degree for KCL Business Management. Will KCL get me anywhere in the world of finance? (Or let's put it this way: Is it a good addition to my CV which contains my internships and everything I'm planning to pursue during my uni years?)

Thanks!
Reply 283
Original post by erklam
You seem to be pretty knowledgeable in the area so I'd like to ask you what you think about my decision to turn down Queen Mary and Cass undergrad business degree for KCL Business Management. Will KCL get me anywhere in the world of finance? (Or let's put it this way: Is it a good addition to my CV which contains my internships and everything I'm planning to pursue during my uni years?)

Thanks!

KCL is better than QMUL. I've never seen anyone from any of those three Universities as an undergraduate at an FO interview, or internship. Cass Masters degrees are good though.

KCL plus the usual array of grades, ECs, references from someone on the inside, decent CL and CV, and luck should get you interviews.
hi!!
i have an offer from imperial and cass business school for msc management. which one would you suggest and why?? career opportunities is the top most priority
I have no idea about the university prestige thing, but I reckon that getting a good honour(1st or 2:1) from a decent university will stand a decent chance of getting a job at IBs
Original post by erklam

Thanks!

Year on year the numbers that get in from KCL & Cass aren't that significant (QMUL grads are almost nonexistent in FO banking), but KCL overall is regarded much more highly than Cass UG and QMUL.

Original post by shar_lavanya
hi!!
i have an offer from imperial and cass business school for msc management. which one would you suggest and why?? career opportunities is the top most priority

where did you do your undergrad? Cass Masters are well reputed, but I dont think they outweigh the benefit you can derive from going to a target uni, especially if you didnt do your undergard at a target.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 287
why the hell do you people revolve around universities and courses so much?
Albeit the fact that banks hire on the 80-20 principal, there are people in FO positions coming from Brunel, Manchester and whatnot with a 2.1 or something. Thinking these people are common occurrences would be idiotic to say the least, but it proves that exceptional people are always welcome. I also think that knowing the right person and having contacts goes a lot further than universities, and their courses. I have even met someone in trading, who has finished school at 16, and that is all the education he has got.
Just try your best and see for yourself how far you can get.
Reply 288
Original post by Mark12345680
I have no idea about the university prestige thing, but I reckon that getting a good honour(1st or 2:1) from a decent university will stand a decent chance of getting a job at IBs

In short, no chance just going off your course/uni.
Reply 289
My mate's brother's college friend's step-dad went to Uni of East London and he's an MD at Goldman

Just goes to show that getting into banking is highly possible from anywhere, you just need that 'can-do' spirit.
Original post by Focus08
My mate's brother's college friend's step-dad went to Uni of East London and he's an MD at Goldman

Just goes to show that getting into banking is highly possible from anywhere, you just need that 'can-do' spirit.

:rofl:
Whoever thinks FO IB is 80% top 6 is wrong. More like Oxbridge/LSE (40%) European (20%) Mix of strong UK universities (40%) - in my experience at least.

Also, there is a huge bias from LSE/UCL/ICL/Warwick towards IB (as opposed to, say, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh) mainly from non-white people on quant courses. IMO this is why these universities get a large number into FO IB, and also why they are targeted so heavily.

People of this forum seem to think correlation = causation and heavily overplay the value of 'top 6' universities.
Reply 292
Original post by Focus08

I'm guessing he's 40 odd then? Back in those days, it was possible to get FO from pretty much any uni, even possible without a degree. Nowadays however, most banks recruit only from the top uni's, although if you work hard and are driven i still believe you stand a chance in FO from a non target
Reply 293
Original post by giggidy
I'm guessing he's 40 odd then? Back in those days, it was possible to get FO from pretty much any uni, even possible without a degree. Nowadays however, most banks recruit only from the top uni's, although if you work hard and are driven i still believe you stand a chance in FO from a non target

lmao
Original post by kresius
lmao

France is a European country.
Reply 295
Original post by TruthTeller
Whoever thinks FO IB is 80% top 6 is wrong. More like Oxbridge/LSE (40%) European (20%) Mix of strong UK universities (40%) - in my experience at least.

Also, there is a huge bias from LSE/UCL/ICL/Warwick towards IB (as opposed to, say, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh) mainly from non-white people on quant courses. IMO this is why these universities get a large number into FO IB, and also why they are targeted so heavily.

People of this forum seem to think correlation = causation and heavily overplay the value of 'top 6' universities.

Lets be honest here, the people who went to St Andrews, Durham and Edinburgh, did not get into LSE/UCL/ICL/Warwick and Oxbridge. As for the ethnic aspect of your post, have you ever been to a trading floor?
Original post by epc
Lets be honest here, the people who went to St Andrews, Durham and Edinburgh, did not get into LSE/UCL/ICL/Warwick and Oxbridge. As for the ethnic aspect of your post, have you ever been to a trading floor?

I have.... i'll be honest a small number of black people, quite a bit of south asians mainly guys and the main group being causicans..
Original post by shar_lavanya
hi!!

I know CASS business is very highly rated in the world, but I believe Imperials business is behind them ... The building itself is really nice especially the lecture room with circle like staircase and stuff :smile:
Original post by Iqbal007
I know CASS business is very highly rated in the world, but I believe Imperials business is behind them ... The building itself is really nice especially the lecture room with circle like staircase and stuff :smile:

i have had that review from certain number of people, but people in this thread and many others have often mentioned imperial as a target uni. and higher up the preference order than cass. also, i have come across terrible tales about cass teachers' being late to classes and other irregularities. so doesnt that give imperial msc management programm a slight edge over CASS's as imperial ( as mentioned by other posters) is a target uni. and cass isn't. any advice is welcome :smile:
Original post by Iqbal007
I have.... i'll be honest a small number of black people, quite a bit of south asians mainly guys and the main group being causicans..

So have I....

Just look at Sramek's friends list on facebook. Just look at the LSE, UCL, Warwick Econ groups or the GS, JPM, Citi intern classes on facebook. The ethnic bias is extra-ordinary.

There is a definite shift over time going on here. The new intake into FO BB are unquestionaly over-represented from certain ethnic groups.

NB - there are no normative judgements going on here, just empirical observations.

Latest

Trending

Trending