The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stdnt
I'd still be impressed if they let everyone know by 28th April. You have to remember very few organisations interview around 800 people in less than 3 weeks. Problem is we have the 11 day weekend coming up.

I agree, I would be pretty happy if we found out by 28th April but word on the street is that this will get pushed back to end of May.. so who knows how long the wait will be.
Reply 2021
Personally, I was quite happy with the style of the interview. I thought it was quite fair and I can understand why they have done it. However, I really cannot understand how it is - potentially - going to take so long to get back to people.

Given that everything is done on points, it should be a simple matter of entering the points for each individual, either at the end of the interview session or at the end of the day. It would then only take a VERY simply Excel program to calculated the points and come out with a ranking for who will be offered a place. Then wait till the interviews of finished (i.e. it could be done now), Go through the produced list and send off emails.

God knows what system they are actually using, but something tells me it will be as complicated and involving as much human processing as possible!

OK, rant over with now :smile:
Reply 2022
Original post by GraduateSK
I like the interview style - I think its fair. The only thing I do not like is that if you get a 1 or a 2, you will be not appointable even if you scored full marks on the other questions/stations. I feel like I did brilliantly on 3 stations, one station was not so great. I answered the questions to the best of my ability but I am not sure if the answers I gave were correct (at the other stations I was sure I was giving the answer they wanted to hear). I would feel so gutted if one answer let the whole thing slip through my fingers. People should be just put into rank order, even if they get a 1 or a 2 and the people at the top should get the job.

I am really anxious about hearing the outcome - I just want to know at this point, its not good for our mental health to keep going over it in our heads!! Especially if other job offers are coming up. Its helping me at least to know that other people like yourselves are going through the same thing. :smile:

I think we all empathise with your anxiousness. Regarding the marking scheme it is really just to prevent hiring people who seriously lack one or two of the skills essential to being a good healthcare scientist.
Reply 2023
Hmm, I don't mind too much about the waiting - I can imagine these things take a while because of having so many applicants to score and place with their preferred hospital etc. I also didn't mind the interview process, I can see that it is fair and gives lots of potential employers the chance to meet the candidates all in one convenient location.

However, what bugs me is that it is really quite impersonal. At the end of the interview you get a score...a number...nothing more or less. You don't get the chance to show the people you would be working with how well you'd fit into their team, and they don't get much say in who they get, no matter how much they might have liked one particular person. They can only give you a number. I suppose it means that the best candidates are given the jobs rather than there being lots of bias; but I find that kind of sad.
Original post by Panthea
Hmm, I don't mind too much about the waiting - I can imagine these things take a while because of having so many applicants to score and place with their preferred hospital etc. I also didn't mind the interview process, I can see that it is fair and gives lots of potential employers the chance to meet the candidates all in one convenient location.

However, what bugs me is that it is really quite impersonal. At the end of the interview you get a score...a number...nothing more or less. You don't get the chance to show the people you would be working with how well you'd fit into their team, and they don't get much say in who they get, no matter how much they might have liked one particular person. They can only give you a number. I suppose it means that the best candidates are given the jobs rather than there being lots of bias; but I find that kind of sad.

Exactly, will the best candidates (highest scorers) be the best fit for a particular Trust, department, team? Its all a numbers game and if nerves got the best of you...it may count against you if you weren't able to convey or come across the "best". The scoring is the easy part, matching ppl to their preferences etc. may be a bit more tricky.

In future, they could do 2 interviews, a group session and/or a presentation slot instead of 4 interviews. I think in the latter two, there may be more scope to settle and impress.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2025
I agree, I would be pretty happy if we found out by 28th April but word on the street is that this will get pushed back to end of May.. so who knows how long the wait will be.

I've only read that once (someone mentioned it here earlier), and they've known about this long holiday thing for quite a long time so I don't think we have any reason to think that there will be delays (yet).
I like reading everyone's ideas - its very interesting. I guess this year is better than the recruitment process in the past. You had to wait months to just know if you got shortlisted or not. I suppose they have made progress and really have made a real effort to modernise recruitment, at the end of the day, that was the point with MSC.
Since we're going through a "ranting about the application process" phase on this forum, I'd like to say that I thought some of the questions felt a bit like they were just looking for a number of specific buzzwords (or buzz-phrases). I didn't really think that was conducive to finding the right people, even though I felt that I performed better on those than on the science/knowledge questions.

I hope that's not too revealing for anyone!
Original post by mateyface
Since we're going through a "ranting about the application process" phase on this forum, I'd like to say that I thought some of the questions felt a bit like they were just looking for a number of specific buzzwords (or buzz-phrases). I didn't really think that was conducive to finding the right people, even though I felt that I performed better on those than on the science/knowledge questions.

Interviews are all done now, so its ok. One of my interviewers on the science station even said: "Okay, I've got a few questions on physics for you"...and there I was thinking I was being interviewed for a vascular position and not medical physics or clinical engineering positions! All, I could say was okay...and try and answer those terrible physics questions! Not fair IMO.:mad:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
Interviews are all done now, so its ok. One of my interviewers on the science station even said: "Okay, I've got a few questions on physics for you"...and there I was thinking I was being interviewed for a vascular position and not medical physics or clinical engineering positions! All, I could say was okay...and try and answer those terrible physics questions! Not fair IMO.:mad:

Blood flow and circulation has a lot of physics to it..
Blood flow and circulation has a lot of physics to it..

Yep, physics and maths are applicable to everything in life, but there was two rather random questions not directly linked to clinical application. Also, I had questions on another station about haemodynamics and Doppler effect, etc. which was what I expected...

Anyway it doesn't matter any more, what will be will be.
Reply 2031
Original post by mateyface

Hahah, I must admit I did notice a nod and a note being made as soon as I said certain words! And yeah, I agree that that's not really the best way of doing things.
Reply 2032
Some questions I have been pondering with all this waiting time..

1) How strongly are our choices of where to be placed likely to be taken into account does anyone think?

Seems all very well to rank people according to scores, but wouldn't a hospital prefer someone with one point less who had made a strong decision that they would like to work for a particular trust? Or is that not being considered?

2) Are job offers the final decisions? If two candidates agreed they would prefer the training positions offered to each other would there be the potential to swap places?

These are just musings that I haven't seen addressed in any of the documents posted on this thread. I'll also reiterate what has already been said: I think most people would be thrilled to be placed anywhere and wouldn't think twice about accepting. Hasn't stopped me wondering though..
Reply 2033
Original post by hey_les
Some questions I have been pondering with all this waiting time..

1) How strongly are our choices of where to be placed likely to be taken into account does anyone think?

Seems all very well to rank people according to scores, but wouldn't a hospital prefer someone with one point less who had made a strong decision that they would like to work for a particular trust? Or is that not being considered?

2) Are job offers the final decisions? If two candidates agreed they would prefer the training positions offered to each other would there be the potential to swap places?

These are just musings that I haven't seen addressed in any of the documents posted on this thread. I'll also reiterate what has already been said: I think most people would be thrilled to be placed anywhere and wouldn't think twice about accepting. Hasn't stopped me wondering though..

1) The higher you score the more likely you are to get your choice of location but as you get lower down you may not.

Hospitals may rather have someone who scored 1 less point but they have agreed to MSC so won't be able to do anything about it. MSC it is meant to get the best nationally not just locally - but this may cause a few people to reject their offer so it wouldn't be hiring the best nationally anyway.

I think the fact that each hospital shortlisted the same amount of people should mean most people get 1 of their top 3 - but (always a but as these are just musings too) as we werent told who shortlisted this may be messed up a bit i guess.

2) I think job offers would definately be the final decision - they offer you a place and you accept or reject the offer, once you accept i highly doubt they would let you swop because when you accept they forward your details onto the hospital.

Someone at my interview day asked something similar to this and we were told you get 1 job offer and that will be the only offer you get which is why i think the above.
Original post by dsmtrst

I think the fact that each hospital shortlisted the same amount of people should mean most people get 1 of their top 3 - but (always a but as these are just musings too) as we werent told who shortlisted this may be messed up a bit i guess.

I suspect some candidates know who short-listed them...I met a guy at our assessment centre who's working at a Trust who short-listed him (not the same department though) and he told me they told him that they short-listed him...SO, he put them down as his top choice! I was a bit miffed about that, cos when I asked the recruiter (from B'ham) who short-listed me when he called me, he just said it don't matter.
(edited 13 years ago)
The combination of waiting to hear from this, thinking about what will happen next in doctor who and the hot weather are making it very difficult to revise for exams! Argh!
Original post by dsmtrst
Hospitals may rather have someone who scored 1 less point but they have agreed to MSC so won't be able to do anything about it. MSC it is meant to get the best nationally not just locally - but this may cause a few people to reject their offer so it wouldn't be hiring the best nationally anyway.

True; but they don't have to take anyone. I know at least one lab that said they would pull the post if they didn't get one of the candidates that they shortlisted.

I suspect the labs get a fair amount of say in it. Because the MSC annoys them, they may find no-one signs up for it next year. One thing that I learned during BMS supernumary training is that lab staff sometimes think that training is more hassle than it's worth.
Reply 2037
Original post by krazykipper
True; but they don't have to take anyone. I know at least one lab that said they would pull the post if they didn't get one of the candidates that they shortlisted.

I suspect the labs get a fair amount of say in it. Because the MSC annoys them, they may find no-one signs up for it next year. One thing that I learned during BMS supernumary training is that lab staff sometimes think that training is more hassle than it's worth.

I didn't know they could do this! I'm not expecting to get a position ... but if by some miracle I do, this really quite worries me - I'm fairly sure that I was short-listed by the lab I put as my second choice, and not by the one I put as my first.

:s-smilie:

That would surely complicate some appointments.

None of the Trusts near where I live signed up for the MSC national programme for that reason. They prefer to train up existing staff, etc.
Reply 2039
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI

None of the Trusts near where I live signed up for the MSC national programme for that reason. They prefer to train up existing staff, etc.

That's interesting. Based on what the hospitals around me (which had signed up to MSC) were saying I didn't think there was another route into medical physics. What kind of employee would they train up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending