The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9160
Original post by doggyfizzel
It's criminal Real picked him up for £13m after that world cup showing.

IMO Cesc shouldn't be captian, but I understand why he is.

From his point of view I can see why he wants to leave. He was around during the invincibles era, and how many trophies has he won now. He can look at Barca, the players he grew up with, winning a CL, 3 league titles back to back, not many players would be satisfied knowing they missed out on that. I think the WC with spain just convinced him, he can play a role in that Barca midfield, and has ignited his wish for success.

The captaincy should be taken off Fabregas imo even if he stays for one more season. Either give it to Vermaelen/new player.
Reply 9161
Original post by JK.
By taking it more seriously he's tired out key players more when really there aren't sufficient squad players to fill in for the more important games and he's crushed the team's spirit as it's shown them they can't win the easiest thing out there.

Good point.
Reply 9162
Original post by Hantheman
To be more specific, the Dalglish revolution to needs big spending in the summer to get back in the top 4 and I don't think you've got the money to do it.

I am 99% sure that we will buy big in the summer, especially if Dalglish (who definitely will be here) is here next season, and with out new sponsorships and players going out (players like Aquilani could fetch more than 10mil if he doesn't want to play for Liverpool, and if he does he'll be like a new signing) I'm sure we'll go big. And with our youngsters coming through as well I'm very optimistic for next season. Anyway we are going off-topic, I have always liked Arsenal, but I honestly can't see you winning silverware any time soon, but I'd prefer you to win it above every team other than Liverpool!
Reply 9163
JK.
OP
Yeh MEX, about Vermaelen, to judge he wouldn't have made a difference based on the fact that we didn't keep clean sheets in 2 of the 3 games he was around for is just a bit ridiculous, tbh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one game would be the 1-1 away at Anfield on the opening day where Almunia was at fault for getting beaten at has near post and the other was what? Blackburn away? :s-smilie: If so, didn't we go on to come back from behind and win that game - what does that show about the spirit in the side when he's there?

Very well said btw, Panth. :yy:
Original post by JK.
Ozil only had a year left on his contract, £13mil's not bad when he could have run down the year and gone on a free.
Ozil is a player who I would have happily seen us throw 20m at.

So much talent and so versatile.

On that note, Arsenal fans, which one player would you like Arsene to go out and sign (trying to be a little realistic here). A player who you think might bring greater success to Arsenal.
Although he may make being an Arsenal fan very frustrating I don't think there is a single manager in the world that could have kept Arsenal at the level they have been consistantly performing for the past 5 years whilst enduring the financial burden building the Emirates bought like Arsene did. He had to sell of pretty much his entire "Invicibles" squad and has still managed to ensure we have not fallen from the top 4 of the most fiercly fought league in the world. Yeah we would like to win something but that will come, I'm pretty sure when we look back on this period as Arsenal fans we will probably see it as the recuperating period we had to endure after we built the much needed new stadium but thats all it will be, keep faith in Wenger and we'll be winning trophies before long, now that the shackles are being loosened
Reply 9166
Original post by RobbieC

On that note, Arsenal fans, which one player would you like Arsene to go out and sign (trying to be a little realistic here). A player who you think might bring greater success to Arsenal.

Someone who actually shoots like Lukas Podolski.
Original post by RobbieC

Kevin Gameiro.

Recently made the France squad, got an excellent scoring record (~1 every other game) for Lorient in Ligue 1, and only 23.
Reply 9168
Original post by RobbieC

Creative attacking midfield with a lot of experience(possibe replacement for Fab is he leaves): Pablo Aimar
Commanding centre back: Luisao
Reply 9169
JK.
OP
How realistic have we gotta be? I wouldn't mind Cavani :awesome:
Original post by RobbieC

Manuel Neuer?
Reply 9171
JK.
OP
Original post by Harry-AA
Manuel Neuer?

You'd seriously go for a keeper?
Original post by Deshi
I am 99% sure that we will buy big in the summer, especially if Dalglish (who definitely will be here) is here next season, and with out new sponsorships and players going out (players like Aquilani could fetch more than 10mil if he doesn't want to play for Liverpool, and if he does he'll be like a new signing) I'm sure we'll go big. And with our youngsters coming through as well I'm very optimistic for next season. Anyway we are going off-topic, I have always liked Arsenal, but I honestly can't see you winning silverware any time soon, but I'd prefer you to win it above every team other than Liverpool!

Aye, I actually posted a bit later saying I am probably wrong because you guys just signed an awesome sponsorship deal. So I do take it back :tongue:
Reply 9173
JK.
OP
In fact, I say Cavani, has anyone got any idea how likely Hamsik would be to leave Napoli given the right money (if Cesc were to leave)?
I'll add to my suggestion of Gameiro with Aly Cissokho, since Clichy has become so dire again lately.
I'd go for Higuain myself if it could be realised. Certainly someone in that ilk.

We need a bit of a lump, and there's that dude who was hailed as the new Drogba who plays down at PSG.

I think we need somebody in the mould of Hugo Rodallega, but with some upgrades in the technical department. Not a pure lump, but someone RVP can feed off.

It's a bit disturbing, that despite his excellent ground play, we see RVP being incorporated as a launchpad quite often...
Original post by JK.
In fact, I say Cavani, has anyone got any idea how likely Hamsik would be to leave Napoli given the right money (if Cesc were to leave)?

Wouldn't say it's that unlikely, Napoli aren't exactly fantastic, he's been there a few years now and was only at Brescia for a few years beforehand.

He's only 23 as well so it would be a matter of helping him settle quickly.
Reply 9177
JK.
OP
Doubt they'll want to sell him now they'll be in Europe, though. :holmes:
Original post by JK.

I think Cavani and Hamsik will want to play in the CL with Napoli. Cavani is only on loan from Palermo but there's an agreed fee so Napoli will most likely sign him up. Hamsik would leave Napoli for the right money, imo, but it would have to be a lot of money.
Reply 9179
Would love Mario Goetze, still young though.

Latest