The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9180
Looking at the table Napoli are doing really well and they have some awesome players, I think he'll definitely want to play at least one season in the Champions League with Napoli considering he's one of their best players and helped them get there, if they flop then maybe he'd want to leave...
Reply 9181
Original post by JK.
Yeh MEX, about Vermaelen, to judge he wouldn't have made a difference based on the fact that we didn't keep clean sheets in 2 of the 3 games he was around for is just a bit ridiculous, tbh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one game would be the 1-1 away at Anfield on the opening day where Almunia was at fault for getting beaten at has near post and the other was what? Blackburn away? :s-smilie: If so, didn't we go on to come back from behind and win that game - what does that show about the spirit in the side when he's there?

Very well said btw, Panth. :yy:

What I meant is that a lot of you guys are talking about his injury being one of the major reasons for your failure to win trophies this season, when in reality when he was fit this season he wasn't spectacular and when he was fit all of last season, your defensive record was worse than this season!

No comments about your disciplinary record?

Original post by RobbieC
On that note, Arsenal fans, which one player would you like Arsene to go out and sign (trying to be a little realistic here). A player who you think might bring greater success to Arsenal.

De Gea, Akinfeev, Pep Reina, Lass Diarra, Sakho, would be a few players I think would really help you guys. Basically keepers, DMs, defenders (CB and LB both weak, Sakho can play either)
Reply 9182
Original post by RobbieC
I'd go for Higuain myself if it could be realised. Certainly someone in that ilk.

We need a bit of a lump, and there's that dude who was hailed as the new Drogba who plays down at PSG.

I think we need somebody in the mould of Hugo Rodallega, but with some upgrades in the technical department. Not a pure lump, but someone RVP can feed off.

It's a bit disturbing, that despite his excellent ground play, we see RVP being incorporated as a launchpad quite often...

Are you thinking about Lukaku? He plays for Anderlecht and is wanted by a lot of teams I think, so he would cost a lot...
Original post by JK.
You'd seriously go for a keeper?

I just think our defence needs someone to listen to, all our defender see themselves as above our keepers and thats the wrong way round, as good as Chesney is he doesn't command the defence, doesn't keep them in order and thats why we concede so many stupid goals
Reply 9184
Original post by Nasri08
Would love Mario Goetze, still young though.

Why do people think teams like Dortmund and Napoli are going to start selling all of their players now they're finally having a bit of success? I really don't get that logic! They're going to want to keep their best players and add to them, not sell them.

I think a new keeper is a must for Arsenal, as is a new CB. In reality you'll probably sign a young winger instead.
Original post by Harry-AA
I just think our defence needs someone to listen to, all our defender see themselves as above our keepers and thats the wrong way round, as good as Chesney is he doesn't command the defence, doesn't keep them in order and thats why we concede so many stupid goals

I see Szczesny communicating a lot, I think it's more that Djourou/Koscielny expect too much of him and don't communicate enough themselves.

With Vermaelen back our defence will be a hundred times stronger.
Original post by M_E_X
Why do people think teams like Dortmund and Napoli are going to start selling all of their players now they're finally having a bit of success? I really don't get that logic! They're going to want to keep their best players and add to them, not sell them.

I think a new keeper is a must for Arsenal, as is a new CB. In reality you'll probably sign a young winger instead.

You can add Lille to that list. I don't think Hazard is going anywhere.
Reply 9187
Original post by M_E_X

I don't think they would sell just saying who i'd like at arsenal. We don't even need another young midfielder tbh.

I also disagree we don't need a new keeper SCZ is good enough. I think we need a CB LB(if Clichy leaves) and left winger though...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by marcusmerehay
I see Szczesny communicating a lot, I think it's more that Djourou/Koscielny expect too much of him and don't communicate enough themselves.

With Vermaelen back our defence will be a hundred times stronger.

mm maybe, it's not really a part of the game you get to see very closely, but we'll just wait and see how they play with Vermaelen back in the squad. I agree he would be a massive boost to the team.

It is so difficult to actually pick out where the weak link is, DJ.rou and Kos have been really good this season, if you were to get rid of Clichy who would you replace him with? What is the actual problem with our defence? Thats why I lean towards picking a keeper
Original post by JK.
I disagree about taking the cups more seriously, too. I'd say Wenger has taken the Carling cup more seriously this year, knowing it's the easiest, hoping to win it and thus get a lot of the stress about 6 years without trophy off his back.
By taking it more seriously he's tired out key players more when really there aren't sufficient squad players to fill in for the more important games and he's crushed the team's spirit as it's shown them they can't win the easiest thing out there.

This point is one I have been making to my mates all season and it was what started my lack of faith in Wenger this season. It almost signals a disbelief that we do not have what it takes to win the "big" competitions despite what he may say.

A few years back when we got into the final with what was essentially the reserves is the correct approach for a club competing on four fronts every season. Yet in trying to win this trophy is what gave the biggest mind**** to the team all season.

As I feel with a lot of Arsenal fans my mind says Wenger should go yet my heart wants him to stay.
mm maybe, it's not really a part of the game you get to see very closely, but we'll just wait and see how they play with Vermaelen back in the squad. I agree he would be a massive boost to the team.

It is so difficult to actually pick out where the weak link is, DJ.rou and Kos have been really good this season, if you were to get rid of Clichy who would you replace him with? What is the actual problem with our defence? Thats why I lean towards picking a keeper

Marking is our biggest defensive problem, hence why we conced from set pieces so often, we always rely on the offside trap on breakaways.

Having Bould coaching the first-team will help shore up the offside trap and instil some no-nonsense back into the defence (Koscielny definitely has it, Sagna too, but the others less so).

The problem is as with the whole team - somebody leading the defence like Campbell used to *******ing the lads now and then. Clichy relies on his pace to get him out of poor positioning near every match but I feel a presence like Vermealen could improve his game.
Reply 9192
You can add Lille to that list. I don't think Hazard is going anywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hazard goes, with some of the teams quoted going in for him it would be very tempting for him imo.
Marking is our biggest defensive problem, hence why we conced from set pieces so often, we always rely on the offside trap on breakaways.

Having Bould coaching the first-team will help shore up the offside trap and instil some no-nonsense back into the defence (Koscielny definitely has it, Sagna too, but the others less so).

Yeah I know, Pat Rice is leaving this season isn't he? Or am I getting confused? Because I think that will have a huge effect, as much as legend Pat Rice is a change like that might be what we need. Koscielny has made countless vital interceptions this season which you get from being in the right position. But the offside never ever works because Clichy forgets he exists :/
Reply 9194
What do people think of Jan Vertonghen? Can play DM/CB/LB I think.
(edited 12 years ago)
One player I would love to see us throw a lot of money at : Schweinsteiger, especially if Cesc leaves. Top class player and can play in the centre or the wing and has one hell of a shot on him.
Original post by Nasri08
What do people think of Jan Vertonghen? Can play DM/CB I think.

Vermaelen would be able to give advice to Wenger on him both through Belgian and Ajax links - he's a very good player, so I wouldn't be surprised if we got him.

Belgians seem to have a habit of playing well in the Premier League (Mpenza aside, of course)
Reply 9197
Vermaelen is over rated. He's a very good defender and he wears his passion on his sleeves. But last season he cost us a lot of goals and no one picked up on it because he scored great goals.

That said, I have no doubt that in a seasons time he'll be the next Tony Adams.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think our club motto should become 'theres always next year' tbh..

I still have faith and I'm prepared to do this all again next season, like Robbie said, the breakthrough is coming.
On the plus side, maybe this lack of winning will stop so many foreign 'supporters' that turn up to one game and don't support the team whatsoever and the 'fans' that only support us when we are winning?
I think our club motto should become 'theres always next year' tbh..

I still have faith and I'm prepared to do this all again next season, like Robbie said, the breakthrough is coming.
On the plus side, maybe this lack of winning will stop so many foreign 'supporters' that turn up to one game and don't support the team whatsoever and the 'fans' that only support us when we are winning?

I was watching the game yesterday and there was this one fat guy that wouldn't stop endlessly going 'CESSSSSC'.

Latest