The Student Room Group

How has mental illness affected your life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by converselove
Yeah I'll have a chat with them. Tbh, my self harm isn't that bad and I haven't actually been diagnosed with depression so the only thing my GP would have to tell the army in the medical forms is that I had a previous history of self harm. But yeah, I'll talk it over with my recruiting office. Thanks for the reply :smile:

When I talked to the RAF recruitment office, they told me that they won't accept anyone who's had more than 2 distinct "phases" of self-harm. I didn't think that was very clear to be honest, but I knew I was well above that so didn't bother following it up. Anyway, I don't know if it's the same for the Army, but that may be of some help?
Gosh, I'd forgotten about this thread.

So far 10 weeks of psychotic episode and no sign of it ending anytime soon. My meds have been increased and I've been given a new diagnosis of nonspecific psychotic disorder. Nonspecific coz I'm that special and confusing. Urgh :sigh:
Reply 542
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

So far 10 weeks of psychotic episode and no sign of it ending anytime soon. My meds have been increased and I've been given a new diagnosis of nonspecific psychotic disorder. Nonspecific coz I'm that special and confusing. Urgh :sigh:

:hugs:

I hope you get better.
Reply 543

Ouch. As a prospective psychiatrist wannabe, you must be seriously unique and confusing to warrant a diagnosis like that!

Suddenly the "rapid cycling" tag to my bipolar doesn't seem like such a curse, at least things like that don't drag on for quite so long. o.O

I seriously hope you get better soon, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Original post by Potiron

I hope you get better.

Original post by houseelf
Ouch. As a prospective psychiatrist wannabe, you must be seriously unique and confusing to warrant a diagnosis like that!

Suddenly the "rapid cycling" tag to my bipolar doesn't seem like such a curse, at least things like that don't drag on for quite so long. o.O

I seriously hope you get better soon, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Yeah, they don't really know what to make of or do with me. On the plus side they're fairly sure it's not bipolar or schizophrenia (which was what I feared).

I dunno, "rapid cycling" bipolar sounds like my idea of hell. 10 weeks is annoyingly long but the last episode I had was six months, so it could be far worse. I don't think I'll ever be that ill again though. It was horrendous. I don't even remember most of it now :no:
Reply 545

Yeah, they don't really know what to make of or do with me. On the plus side they're fairly sure it's not bipolar or schizophrenia (which was what I feared).

I dunno, "rapid cycling" bipolar sounds like my idea of hell. 10 weeks is annoyingly long but the last episode I had was six months, so it could be far worse. I don't think I'll ever be that ill again though. It was horrendous. I don't even remember most of it now :no:

Well, I suppose that's something. :smile: Still, I suppose the name they put on it is largely irrelevant to us; all we care about is trying to stay as sane as possible, right?

It's certainly not pleasant. :redface: I spent the last 3/4 days in a pretty terrible dysphoric mania, and that almost finished me. I can't even imagine being acutely ill for 6 months (I mean, I've been depressed for longer stretches than that, but somehow it's not quite the same).

I know exactly what you mean. I remember pretty much nothing from my manic episodes. I suppose that's probably my brain doing me a favour, to be honest. :rolleyes:

*hugs*
Well, I suppose that's something. :smile: Still, I suppose the name they put on it is largely irrelevant to us; all we care about is trying to stay as sane as possible, right?

It's certainly not pleasant. :redface: I spent the last 3/4 days in a pretty terrible dysphoric mania, and that almost finished me. I can't even imagine being acutely ill for 6 months (I mean, I've been depressed for longer stretches than that, but somehow it's not quite the same).

I know exactly what you mean. I remember pretty much nothing from my manic episodes. I suppose that's probably my brain doing me a favour, to be honest. :rolleyes:

*hugs*

Well the fact that it's not as severe as schizophrenia means I feel able to trust my convictions a bit more than I might have done otherwise. Schizophrenia seems a much scarier label :o:

That must have been horrible for you :console: Yeah, I think it's the brain's way of protecting us :yes: I told my therapist that I want to remember and she questioned whether it's important to remember and I guess for the most part it's not :nah:
Reply 547
Well the fact that it's not as severe as schizophrenia means I feel able to trust my convictions a bit more than I might have done otherwise. Schizophrenia seems a much scarier label :o:

That must have been horrible for you :console: Yeah, I think it's the brain's way of protecting us :yes: I told my therapist that I want to remember and she questioned whether it's important to remember and I guess for the most part it's not :nah:

That's true. I know for at least a month after my bathroom splintered into a million shards of glass I had to check everything I was seeing with my girlfriend, "just to make sure". It's not cool doubting everything you perceive, amirite? :rolleyes:

It's definitely the worst state I can end up in. Thankfully they don't last too long, though. I'm certainly feeling the effects now I'm back on the planet again; 3 hours of sleep in the last 96 takes its toll!

I know I'd definitely rather forget some of the things I've done while manic. :biggrin:
Had depression/bipolar since i was 11, it made school difficult, i struggled though uni (though eventually graduated). I've lost friends, relationships and jobs because of it. It caused me to hurt myself. It's made me suicidal and i've nearly succeded in taking my own life several times. Its put stress and worry on my family. Its led to me currently being unable to work.

In short its made life a lot more difficult than it ever needed to be.
That's true. I know for at least a month after my bathroom splintered into a million shards of glass I had to check everything I was seeing with my girlfriend, "just to make sure". It's not cool doubting everything you perceive, amirite? :rolleyes:

It's definitely the worst state I can end up in. Thankfully they don't last too long, though. I'm certainly feeling the effects now I'm back on the planet again; 3 hours of sleep in the last 96 takes its toll!

I know I'd definitely rather forget some of the things I've done while manic. :biggrin:

Woah, that's very little sleep :eek: I hope you manage to catch up on lots soon :hugs:

Original post by xXMessedUpXx
Had depression/bipolar since i was 11, it made school difficult, i struggled though uni (though eventually graduated). I've lost friends, relationships and jobs because of it. It caused me to hurt myself. It's made me suicidal and i've nearly succeded in taking my own life several times. Its put stress and worry on my family. Its led to me currently being unable to work.

Reply 550
Woah, that's very little sleep :eek: I hope you manage to catch up on lots soon :hugs:

Haha, thanks! :biggrin: I think I'm going to celebrate Easter Sunday by sleeping straight through it!

Hope you get through this episode sharpish! :hugs:
Depression here as well.

It's affected me in the sense that I just can't seem to form connections with people, and have proper relationships because depression is kind of a barrier, and I block people from seeing that side of my life. I don't feel like anyone knows the real me - to be honest I'm actually ashamed of myself and everything that my life entails.

I always feel on the outside. Even if I'm with a group of friends, everyone will be laughing and joking and it will make me all the more sad, because I feel like I can't attain that.

My self esteem and confidence are quite bad. I thought it was improving, but recently it's gone down again.

It's just annoying, because I keep trying to act proactively to sort my life out, and everything I try seems to fail. It's so tiresome. And when I'm back to square one, I think 'if it hasn't improved me for me now (after 8 or so years) will it ever?

It's kind of awful that, judging by this thread, so many of us are unhappy. And there don't seem to be many easy solutions. Really happy for those people that have recovered and are happy now though :smile:
Reply 552
Original post by xXMessedUpXx

So, so true. I really hope I can cope with it making uni harder than it ought to be as well..
When I talked to the RAF recruitment office, they told me that they won't accept anyone who's had more than 2 distinct "phases" of self-harm. I didn't think that was very clear to be honest, but I knew I was well above that so didn't bother following it up. Anyway, I don't know if it's the same for the Army, but that may be of some help?

Confusing... Does that mean that they won't accept someone who's self harmed more than once or someone who's self harmed then stopped then self harmed and stopped?

I've been to my GP twice about it but I don't think they could class it as 2 distinct phases as the first was to talk and I was told to come back a few months later (which I did and I was better) so I think it'll be fine.
Reply 554
Original post by converselove
Confusing... Does that mean that they won't accept someone who's self harmed more than once or someone who's self harmed then stopped then self harmed and stopped?

I've been to my GP twice about it but I don't think they could class it as 2 distinct phases as the first was to talk and I was told to come back a few months later (which I did and I was better) so I think it'll be fine.

I interpreted it as the latter; done it, stopped, then started again. But I honestly don't know for sure.

Yeah, you should be alright. You may even find that your GP's willing to bend the facts slightly to help you - I know my Mental Health Worker encouraged me to still give it a go even though I've probably stopped and started at least 15 times. :rolleyes:

May I ask what sort of symptoms you get with your psychosis and whether or not you are consciously aware of them being unusual or out of the ordinary when they occur?

Sorry if I seem incredibly blunt by asking, it's rare that I come across other people with experience of psychosis thus I like to get their perspective on it, what it's like, how it impacts upon them, etc.

You don't have to answer if you don't want to, or you could reply by PM. Either way it'd be nice to hear of your experiences and how you cope with them :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I've suffered from pretty severe OCD for five years now; it crushed myself confidence and made me a pretty messed up individual.

Only now am I kind of coming to terms with the fact that I really do need help (taken long enough)..and I'm so tired of having to pretend everything's okay- I daren't moan about it incase I annoy people.

My parents still don't know but I hate to admit I can't help but feel ashamed and embarassed even though I know I shouldn't.

Anyway, I'm interested in how people handle it whether it's yourself or someone you know.

I think that there should be more of an emphasis on recognising mental illnesses because in my experience nobody really talks about them because they're kind of invisible if you get what I mean and my parents have often just labelled me as a 'hormonal' teenager :/

I've had an eating disorder since i was 14 (i'm 18 now) and it interferes with every aspect of your day-to-day life, people think you can just get over it but people with real mental disorders can't always do that. I've improved a lot and am generally able to force myself to eat 'bad' foods but i still feel guilty and overweight and i don't think i'll ever be happy at the size i am
Original post by fire2burn
May I ask what sort of symptoms you get with your psychosis and whether or not you are consciously aware of them being unusual or out of the ordinary when they occur?

Sorry if I seem incredibly blunt by asking, it's rare that I come across other people with experience of psychosis thus I like to get their perspective on it, what it's like, how it impacts upon them, etc.

You don't have to answer if you don't want to, or you could reply by PM. Either way it'd be nice to hear of your experiences and how you cope with them :smile:

Sure, I don't mind you asking at all.

Symptoms

- Hallucinations (tactile, auditory, visual. My main thing is hearing voices)
- Delusions (e.g. thought projections, grandeur stuff)
- Extreme paranoia (thinking people are spying on me, trying to kill me, etc)
- Distorted sense of visual perception (though they think that could be mild epilepsy)
- Self-harm (though we managed to quickly get that under control. It was quite scary and not within my control for a while)
- Suicidal thoughts/tendencies/attempts
- Mixture of agoraphobia and claustrophobia (mostly the former)
- Out-of-body sensations
- Body and brain reliving last year's psychotic episode (which was far worse. Again, this is beyond my control. I really wish I didn't have to relive everything: it was awful enough first time round)
- Generalised psychotic attacks, some of which have no identifiable triggers. We've worked out academic libraries and religious buildings are triggers

When this first started happening to me at uni, I honestly had no idea what was going on and was terrified but couldn't articulate it to everyone. These days, I'm aware that what's happening is abnormal about 90-95% of the time, since mine is a seemingly milder form of psychosis. I'm also incredibly self-aware, which is what has made it so hard for them to diagnose me. That said, it doesn't make it much easier to control and there are times when I almost completely lose control of my brain, with near-fatal consequences.

As for coping, I'm a tough cookie, far more resilient than I realise, have lots of loving and supportive friends and family members. I'm quite religious/spiritual and take a lot of comfort in and strength from that. I have an incredibly active guardian angel :smile:
Depression, anxiety, chronically low/no self esteem and self harming here.

*waves to all*

Currently awaiting to see a pyschiatrist, not looking forward to that at all, and on 10mg of cipralex.
Original post by daisydaffodil
Depression, anxiety, chronically low/no self esteem and self harming here.

*waves to all*

Currently awaiting to see a pyschiatrist, not looking forward to that at all, and on 10mg of cipralex.

Try not to worry about the psychiatrist: it's likely it might not be as scary as you think. I've got a very nice psychiatrist :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending