The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks
Does anyone know why the wasting associated with type 1 DM doesn't occur in type 2? I know the insulin is still there and exerting some effect, but lipolysis is still increased because of disinhibition of hormone sensitive lipase... A research paper seems to suggest DM2 patients have lower HSL levels but i'm not sure about the whole issue.

This phenomenon caused me endless irritation last year during my SSC. I never found a satisfactory answer.
Original post by Kinkerz
This phenomenon caused me endless irritation last year during my SSC. I never found a satisfactory answer.

Yeah it seems to be one of those things where i explain it to people, got through all of it and say 'so what do you think is happening?'

And then they look at me like I'm mad and tell me it's not coming on the exam so why bother :colonhash:

Like last year and the mystery that was tremors and the BG in parkinson's.
Reply 3082

Like last year and the mystery that was tremors and the BG in parkinson's.

Glad it's not just me that finds this confusing. I remember reading something about this, perhaps in Bear Connors and Paradiso (an excellent book, apart from the americanisms)..

The direct and indirect pathways basically serve as a form of transferring information to the thalamus. Loss of input to the thalamus just causes it to oscillate blindly, hence the tremor. :holmes:
Original post by Tech
Glad it's not just me that finds this confusing. I remember reading something about this, perhaps in Bear Connors and Paradiso (an excellent book, apart from the americanisms)..

The direct and indirect pathways basically serve as a form of transferring information to the thalamus. Loss of input to the thalamus just causes it to oscillate blindly, hence the tremor. :holmes:

I think that was the conclusion we came to as well, although there was further confusion over the mechanism of resting tremor, which ended up involving muscle spindles, denervation hypersensitivity and an eponymous cell in the spinal cord that i forget. never came up though and it's not clinically important as far as i can tell.
Original post by gozatron
Couldn't find an appropriate thread; is there an "Ask a med student" thread?

Anyways, would you guys say a laptop/desktop is needed for medical school?

Not essential but obviously more handy...

Most unis will have libraries and 24hr computer clusters usually.
Original post by Mushi_master
Just ask in the usual medicine forum - someone will find it.

Anyway - yes, how else are you supposed to access facebook/wikipedia/TSR?

As for any degree a computer is incredibly useful - internet access for looking things up, writing up essays, using online resources from the university etc etc. You could always use library computers - but do you want to not have easy access to a computer at home.

It's a no brainer isn't it?

Original post by Isometrix
Not essential but obviously more handy...

Most unis will have libraries and 24hr computer clusters usually.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Lastly then, Laptop or desktop? I'd prefer a desktop but would you ever see the need to bring a laptop to a lecture or something?
Thanks for the replies fellas. Lastly then, Laptop or desktop? I'd prefer a desktop but would you ever see the need to bring a laptop to a lecture or something?

Laptop all the way!

There will be a time when you will want to take a computer to the library, it suite.... ect.

Haha i have a laptop (macbook pro, just to let y'all knw) but it hardly ever leaves my room. computers are readily accessible at medschool so i've never needed to bring it in. there are some guys who bring in their laptops to lectures, which isn't a bad idea cos you don't waste money printing out the slides...but only if you can bothered to carry it round with you, might be difficult with the chunkier ones. in which case (if you're super rich) invest in a netbook...they are ideal.

edit: meant a netbook (just for lecture use) as well as a laptop/desktop. dont need to be super rich to afford a netbook, pretty cheap nowadays!
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha i have a laptop (macbook pro, just to let y'all knw) but it hardly ever leaves my room. computers are readily accessible at medschool so i've never needed to bring it in. there are some guys who bring in their laptops to lectures, which isn't a bad idea cos you don't waste money printing out the slides...but only if you can bothered to carry it round with you, might be difficult with the chunkier ones. in which case (if you're super rich) invest in a netbook...they are ideal.

hey man long time no speak. how is it going at leeds?
I live in Rotherhithe (near Canada water station), really nice area, much more suburban/residential than other nearby areas and certainly more leafy - can get some very nice houses and is definitely affordable.

Bermondsey certainly can be a bit hit and miss - I would try and take in the area around the places you're looking as it can be pretty grim tbh. A lot of people tend to go for places around Old Kent road, so it can be very social around there. Again not so nice mind.

:eek: That's really near me! Didn't really consider this to be a "studenty" area but I guess it's still reasonably affordable without being as grotty as e.g. Bermondsey.
I live in Rotherhithe (near Canada water station), really nice area, much more suburban/residential than other nearby areas and certainly more leafy - can get some very nice houses and is definitely affordable.

Bermondsey certainly can be a bit hit and miss - I would try and take in the area around the places you're looking as it can be pretty grim tbh. A lot of people tend to go for places around Old Kent road, so it can be very social around there. Again not so nice mind.

Thanks. I've never really looked around there so I'll start searching! Is it safe? (well as safe as it can get I suppose!) The thing is I'm looking to buy a place rather than rent cuz of my parents etc so I'll be stuck with it for a good few years! The places I've seen in Bermondsey so far have both been new developments and the area seems ok I guess but perhaps it's hard to tell really.
hey man long time no speak. how is it going at leeds?

Hey buddy it's going pretty well, how bout your end? Can't wait for this year to finish tbh, been a bit of a drag with the work. Next year it's mainly clinics, so looking forward to that! Good thing is our summer term is only 1 month and 1 week long (compared to almost 4 months last term!!) so not long nowwww :smile:

you got an exam comin up soon? i see you've retired your position as local antagonist around these lands :tongue:
Hey buddy it's going pretty well, how bout your end? Can't wait for this year to finish tbh, been a bit of a drag with the work. Next year it's mainly clinics, so looking forward to that! Good thing is our summer term is only 1 month and 1 week long (compared to almost 4 months last term!!) so not long nowwww :smile:

you got an exam comin up soon? i see you've retired your position as local antagonist around these lands :tongue:

I'm in hospital from next year too. I'm literally so excited I might die. I think my summer is a little longer but not much. 6 weeks maybe.

I have my semester test at the end of may and the always unfathomable whole course synoptic paper we sit every term. I did my OSCEs for this year in january so I'm glad to have those out of the way.

As for being an antagonist, I still believe most of what I used to, I just don't bother getting in arguments with people who are both stupid and wrong :wink:

I do like to abuse people who don't understand PBL though. Because they deserve it.
Is it weird to really, really miss a bunch of people you've only known since September after 3 weeks away?
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Is it weird to really, really miss a bunch of people you've only known since September after 3 weeks away?

no not really, although you might find that you just miss the general atmosphere more than the people at first
no not really, although you might find that you just miss the general atmosphere more than the people at first

I miss there always being something to do if you wanted to. I have to organise things in advance here.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I miss there always being something to do if you wanted to. I have to organise things in advance here.

Yeah when i was in halls all you had to do was walk into the corridor and in about 5 minutes you'd see someone and 15 seconds later you'd be getting pushed down stairs on a wheely chair or something. It was great. I live in a tiny village and therefore hate summer a great deal.
Yeah when i was in halls all you had to do was walk into the corridor and in about 5 minutes you'd see someone and 15 seconds later you'd be getting pushed down stairs on a wheely chair or something. It was great. I live in a tiny village and therefore hate summer a great deal.

There is one bus an hour (well, two technically, but they come within 5 minutes of each other and go to basically the same place) where I live. Fortunately I can drive.
Couldn't find an appropriate thread; is there an "Ask a med student" thread?

Anyways, would you guys say a laptop/desktop is needed for medical school?

Yes. There are lots of university computers, but having your own makes life so much easier.

Depends on how you make notes.

Some people take their laptops to lectures to type notes.

I never take my laptop to lectures, I print out the lecture slides and make notes on those because I just prefer that. Easier to highlight and draw things quickly.

Imo a laptop suits me better than a desktop because it's small and portable so if I need to take it anywhere I can and less to transport at the start/end of terms. Also good for travelling, conferences etc.

I don't really see why anyone would need a desktop? But that's just me. Laptops ftw.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending