The Student Room Group

The Norwegian Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca
Oh yeah! You're not from the EU so you can't just randomly move to live in Norway like I did. You have to get a job here, get pregnant by a Norwegian man or marry one (or both) before they'll let you stay :p:
Or be a refugee.

haha :tongue: I skal aldri ha barna med en norsk mann eller gifte meg med en!!!! That's like so cheap and plus I prefer to remain solo for the rest of my life :biggrin: !!! En jobb vil bli mye bedre tror jeg :wink: Ohhh talking about Norway makes me soo depressed....... it used to be soooo much fun..... eating ice cream at Akerbrygge on a hot summer day :u: or skiing at Holmenkollen and falling every second coz u don't know how to ski Norwegian style :rolleyes: or the cinnamon buns and saft on 17 mai :biggrin:

Wait so are you Norwegian or are you a European citizen who moved to Norway? ohh and I also see that you were in Durham.... I have an offer from Trevelyan college for Engineering but planning of turning it down since Durham engineering degrees aren't that good in terms of job prospects. I feel so bad though....they've been so nice to me and treat me like I'm already a student :frown:
Reply 141
Original post by savetheplanet
haha :tongue: I skal aldri ha barna med en norsk mann eller gifte meg med en!!!! That's like so cheap and plus I prefer to remain solo for the rest of my life :biggrin: !!! En jobb vil bli mye bedre tror jeg :wink: Ohhh talking about Norway makes me soo depressed....... it used to be soooo much fun..... eating ice cream at Akerbrygge on a hot summer day :u: or skiing at Holmenkollen and falling every second coz u don't know how to ski Norwegian style :rolleyes: or the cinnamon buns and saft on 17 mai :biggrin:

Wait so are you Norwegian or are you a European citizen who moved to Norway? ohh and I also see that you were in Durham.... I have an offer from Trevelyan college for Engineering but planning of turning it down since Durham engineering degrees aren't that good in terms of job prospects. I feel so bad though....they've been so nice to me and treat me like I'm already a student :frown:

I moved to Norway in September to live with my Norwegian boyfriend who I met at Durham :smile:
Why are Durham engineering degrees not that good? I don't know much about the dept.
Reply 142
Original post by Luceria
Funny. I'd love to move to the UK! At least for a little while.

Considering uni there? At least you won't be paying massively more than UK students to study :p:
Reply 143
I'm from west-norway. Considering UK for uni. :biggrin:
Reply 144
Original post by Luceria
I'd love to. Yes, since Norway isn't the EU... I'd be counted as an international!
Honestly...It's rather ridiculous.. Should have made some deal, haha. I keep saying that because I'm rather bitter about it. Heh.

I imagine I would have to pay 10000+ pounds. Which isn't far away from 9000.... Then add the living costs. Deary me. Of course, "statens lånekasse" could help me... But it's still a lot!

Yeah my bf is currently paying back the costs of a 4-year degree in England!
Reply 145
From 2012 everyone will be paying around 9k anyway, so the international fee won't be that much higher anymore, right.
Reply 146
Original post by Ilot
From 2012 everyone will be paying around 9k anyway, so the international fee won't be that much higher anymore, right.

Which doesn't make it easier for internationals, just a lot worse for Home/EU students.
Reply 147
Original post by Jørgen
Which doesn't make it easier for internationals, just a lot worse for Home/EU students.

Exactly. :<
Reply 148
Original post by Becca
Not too bad. Got pretty depressed at the Centre for Foreign Workers though. Do you have a job lined up? If so, that will make it much easier.

I sort of had, but I've had a complete change of plan (again, haha). My parents recently agreed to fund my Master's so I can go straight into my MA after I graduate. There's still plenty of time time to apply in the UK but I'd ideally study in Norway or Iceland which I'm past the deadline for - I've emailed both and got a promising response from Haskoli Islands (MA in Medieval Icelandic Studies), no response from UiO (MPhil in Norrøn Filologi (Old Norse Philology engelsk) or Nordic Medieval and Viking Studies) yet but I only emailed today. I'd love to go to Island, even if just for a year. It's a shame I can't live in Norway and Iceland at the same time, I love both :mad: . I do prefer the Icelandic language to Norwegian though, then again I love the forests in Norway more than the, well, nothing in Iceland. :s-smilie:

'Centre for Foreign Workers', sounds really grim. *Shudder*
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 149
Original post by Luceria
I'd love to. Yes, since Norway isn't the EU... I'd be counted as an international!
Honestly...It's rather ridiculous.. Should have made some deal, haha. I keep saying that because I'm rather bitter about it. Heh.

I imagine I would have to pay 10000+ pounds. Which isn't far away from 9000.... Then add the living costs. Deary me. Of course, "statens lånekasse" could help me... But it's still a lot!

Damn, I have the overwhelming urge to apologise . . . how very English of me :frown: .
Reply 150
Original post by Einheri
I sort of had, but I've had a complete change of plan (again, haha). My parents recently agreed to fund my Master's so I can go straight into my MA after I graduate. There's still plenty of time time to apply in the UK but I'd ideally study in Norway or Iceland which I'm past the deadline for - I've emailed both and got a promising response from Haskoli Islands (MA in Medieval Icelandic Studies), no response from UiO (MPhil in Norrøn Filologi (Old Norse Philology engelsk) or Nordic Medieval and Viking Studies) yet but I only emailed today. I'd love to go to Island, even if just for a year. It's a shame I can't live in Norway and Iceland at the same time, I love both :mad: . I do prefer the Icelandic language to Norwegian though, then again I love the forests in Norway more than the, well, nothing in Iceland. :s-smilie:

'Centre for Foreign Workers', sounds really grim. *Shudder*

Do you know there's a user on here who studies in Iceland who might be able to help you? In my experience of Norwegian email response time it might be best to ring up? I know a lot of people are still on holiday so they might be a bit slow getting back to you.

There's an item on the news about Russ. When I first heard about that tradition I was like :lolwut:
Reply 151
Original post by Becca

There's an item on the news about Russ. When I first heard about that tradition I was like :lolwut:

Russ of 2011
It's gonna be a blast. :cool:
Reply 152
Original post by Ilot
Russ of 2011
It's gonna be a blast. :cool:

What's your bus like then?
Reply 153
Original post by Becca
Do you know there's a user on here who studies in Iceland who might be able to help you?

In my experience of Norwegian email response time it might be best to ring up? I know a lot of people are still on holiday so they might be a bit slow getting back to you.

Hylean? I've spoken to him before, but not about this (he recommended me some books for learning modern Icelandic). I'll have to send a PM some time.

Yeah, probably. From when I lived in Oslo I remember two weeks being about average for a reply from the university.
Reply 154
Original post by Einheri
Hylean? I've spoken to him before, but not about this (he recommended me some books for learning modern Icelandic). I'll have to send a PM some time.

Yeah, probably. From when I lived in Oslo I remember two weeks being about average for a reply from the university.

Yep Hylean! Would be a good idea to PM him I think, as he'd be able to give you loads of info about the uni :smile:
Reply 155
Original post by Becca
What's your bus like then?

LOL! (Sorry, just had to.)

I'm guessing you're not Norwegian?
"Buses" are only for the posh, spoilt and rich kids in Bærum, Asker and the Oslo areas. (You might find a bus or two in other major cities, but most buses are from these three areas.)

Instead of spending £10000+ on a share in a bus for 3 weeks, I'd rather save it for uni tuition. I must seem like such a partypooper, right? :P
Reply 156
Original post by Ilot
LOL! (Sorry, just had to.)

I'm guessing you're not Norwegian?
&quot;Buses&quot; are only for the posh, spoilt and rich kids in Bærum, Asker and the Oslo areas. (You might find a bus or two in other major cities, but most buses are from these three areas.)

Instead of spending £10000+ on a share in a bus for 3 weeks, I'd rather save it for uni tuition. I must seem like such a partypooper, right? :P

My bf had a bus :colondollar:
Reply 157
Original post by Becca
My bf had a bus :colondollar:

Well, I'm not saying all the kids are rich/spoilt/shallow. That's just the general view in other areas. I'm sure your boyfriend is great and that he was a decent russ, but the whole bus thing...
Reply 158
I was Russ in 2010 as well! I was just biking around though.

No need for a bus when you have a bike! :^_^:
Reply 159
Original post by Becca
Do you know there's a user on here who studies in Iceland who might be able to help you? In my experience of Norwegian email response time it might be best to ring up? I know a lot of people are still on holiday so they might be a bit slow getting back to you.

I hear myself being mentioned and I find Becca. :love:

You are a shining light in this world, my dear.

Quick Reply

Latest