The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itsrayray:)
Yeahhh:smile: its a long time but I really like it. I did it for D of E to start with. How is work experience/volunteering coming along for you?

Cool. Oh, well I have found 1 place in a GP and another place in a GP but that one doesn't include patient contact. In the first one the doctor said I'm gonna get hands on experience with him :tongue:

But i'm going to get a lot more experience next year because i'm considering the gap year.
Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh
Lets just hope they put off the cuts for another few years in england..after this whole tuition fees malarky I think we all need a break :redface:

Just out of curiosity..how many people are thinking of applying to a London uni? Quote me if u are plz so I don't ignore ur post :smile:

Hi yeah i'm considering Kings and maybe UCL, still thinking about UCL though.
Reply 2062
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
That makes applying simpler then. :smile: So is your main want from a med school that it's city based?

Same, I'm going to open days around October... but tbh there are only ~four unis that I REALLY want to go to because of their courses/location so I dunno if there's much point of open days.

Good luck with UKCAT, it looks scaryyyy!

hey i'd say even if you know where you want to apply now, go to the open days anyway. You gert to look round and the talks let you know what the admissions people want from an application. :smile:
Reply 2063
That makes applying simpler then. :smile: So is your main want from a med school that it's city based?

Same, I'm going to open days around October... but tbh there are only ~four unis that I REALLY want to go to because of their courses/location so I dunno if there's much point of open days.

Good luck with UKCAT, it looks scaryyyy!

hey i'd say even if you know where you want to apply now, go to the open days anyway. You get to look round and the talks let you know what the admissions people want from an application. :smile:
Dude, you're a medic and you have a Scottish accent, you could pretty much pull any girl you wanted. :p:

What's a bottleneck?

It's interesting how the places with high quality of life/student satisfaction with unis are places that are less urban. I'd have thought it would be the other way around, but it never is.

Seriously, England should really learn a thing or two from the Scottish NHS. Do you guys have less red tape or more staff or what? How do you do it?! :p:

Haha sadly....no :frown:

I mean you have far more people at say Registrar level than at Consultant so it stops being competitive and starts being ridiculous.

Well the NHS here is far from perfect, I wouldn't get that idea. It's just been run slightly different ever since devolution which after 10 years has led to several changes. The red tape is still here and we still have staff shortages, it is just the combination of factors.

I'm really not the person to ask about NHS policy :tongue:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Haha sadly....no :frown:

I mean you have far more people at say Registrar level than at Consultant so it stops being competitive and starts being ridiculous.

Well the NHS here is far from perfect, I wouldn't get that idea. It's just been run slightly different ever since devolution which after 10 years has led to several changes. The red tape is still here and we still have staff shortages, it is just the combination of factors.

I'm really not the person to ask about NHS policy :tongue:

What's red tape? :lolwut:
Original post by thegodofgod

It's a term which refers to excessive legislation and paperwork.

Bureaucracy, paper work, meaningless swathes of managers.
Hey, I'm really late to this thread but yeah I'm applying this year for Medicine too :smile:
Reply 2069
Original post by kateamelia
Hey, I'm really late to this thread but yeah I'm applying this year for Medicine too :smile:

You're not late - we're just very early. :tongue:

Where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by Normandy114
It's a term which refers to excessive legislation and paperwork.

Bureaucracy, paper work, meaningless swathes of managers.

ahh, cheers guys :biggrin:
ahh, cheers guys :biggrin:

We're here all week :colone:
Reply 2072
Haha, I know... potentially £100k debt apparently for people who go to London unis apparently!

I figured it'd be that much everywhere in the UK? Say if most are £9000 a year, double that to include student living each year. Thats £18000 x 5/6, depending on your course. That's £108000!
Original post by liviaaa

Where are you thinking of applying?

Well, I'm being realistic as I know how competitive Medicine is, so although I love Bristol I'm not sure if I'll apply there as they do seem to be very selective. My line up will probably look something like this:

Bristol (Maybe, not sure :s-smilie:)
Southampton
BSMS / maybe Barts?
KCL,
I've been on open days to all these last year when I was thinking of doing something else, so I've yet to look at the proportion of PBL they have etc but I just liked these places in general :smile:
What about you?
We're here all week :colone:

huh? holidays?

Lucky

Had to go back today :yawn:

Although I've got tomorrow, Thursday, then Tuesday to Friday, then Monday to Wednesday and then study leave for a month :biggrin:
Original post by liviaaa
I figured it'd be that much everywhere in the UK? Say if most are £9000 a year, double that to include student living each year. Thats £18000 x 5/6, depending on your course. That's £108000!

Ahem. Hello....big country north of Newcastle....:tongue:

No fees for Scottish students here, only living costs. And anyone from England, Wales, Northern Ireland gets charged around £1800 pa.
huh? holidays?

Lucky

Had to go back today :yawn:

Although I've got tomorrow, Thursday, then Tuesday to Friday, then Monday to Wednesday and then study leave for a month :biggrin:

No...it was a turn of phrase :tongue:

We had a random 3 week break ending 2 weeks ago.
Original post by liviaaa

But after 4 years of studying, the NHS tuition fees bursary kicks in, so we save £9,000 or £18,000 depending on if you intercalate or not :biggrin:

(Because I think the student loan company only give out student loans for 4 years, so the NHS pays the rest)

I get two days of study leave for 6 exams, not happy :frown:
Original post by Normandy114
I get two days of study leave for 6 exams, not happy :frown:

:eek:

I've got study leave from 9th May to 9th June (approx), and all my exams are from 18th May to 27th May, so I have just under 2 weeks of doing nothing at home :dance:

(Although 1 of those weeks is half-term, but I still get approx. 1 week of chilling out... before we start the A2 syllabus :yawn:)

Latest

Trending

Trending