The Student Room Group

Anyone else do Russian A-level?

I know theres very few of you out there, only 2 other people at my school who do it and there are pretty much no threads on Russian on this forum lol .
Just wondering what peoples opinions are of the course compared to other languages.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jtking3000
I know theres very few of you out there, only 2 other people at my school who do it and there are pretty much no threads on Russian on this forum lol .

A tebe zachem, yazikovoy praktiki chtoli ne hvataet?
Reply 2
Original post by Paul PTS
A tebe zachem, yazikovoy praktiki chtoli ne hvataet?

ponyatiye ya nye imyeyu. mozhyet bit, lyudi dumayut shto yazik slishkom trudniy ili ani prosta nye zainteryesovani v rassii.
Reply 3
I'm doing it at GCSE, gonna take it for A Level. What am I letting myself in for lol?
Reply 4
Original post by Bardem
I'm doing it at GCSE, gonna take it for A Level. What am I letting myself in for lol?

AS wasn't too bad i'd say, a bit like GCSE except the language skill requirements are greater. Only annoying thing is that the written exams are 2.5 hours long :frown:.

A2 is a bit annoying though as its only speaking and writing and the modules seem to be quite stretching too. the speaking is a 11-13 minute conversation where the first 4 minutes you debate a topic of your choice eg. euthanasia, abortion etc. Next 8 mins are 'random' questions which are quite hard but they're related to the stuff you've been studying.

The written exam is interesting as you have to write 2 essays and do a short translation exercise. one of the essays is just your general random stuff like 'should PE be compulsory' and the other essay is meant to be some stuff relating to Russia which you study during the year, mine happened to be the siege of Leningrad. :smile:

Hope this helps.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Ok, thanks for the info. What was your AS grade?
Reply 6
Original post by Bardem
Ok, thanks for the info. What was your AS grade?

A, got 99% :tongue:
Reply 7
Bloody hell, are your parents Russian?
I have to say, Russian A level sounds more interesting than uni Russian :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Bardem
Bloody hell, are your parents Russian?

nah i think languages just come naturally to me (and also the language teachers at my school are quite competent).
Reply 10
Original post by Bardem

Original post by Bardem

Same! I'm in Year 11 right now, and I'm going to take it all the way to A2, but I really don't know what I've got myself into!

Russian's a cool language to know though, and it is quite fun. :woo:
Reply 11
nah i think languages just come naturally to me (and also the language teachers at my school are quite competent).

That's a very impressive grade, even more so considering you learnt Russian from scratch. I'm going to try to get an A at AS but at A2 it sounds much more difficult.
Reply 12
Original post by und
Same! I'm in Year 11 right now, and I'm going to take it all the way to A2, but I really don't know what I've got myself into!

Russian's a cool language to know though, and it is quite fun. :woo:

I'm studying French too, which I definately don't want to take further (all the teachers are horribly irritating). Russian is quite a rare a level so I'm hoping it will stand out when I apply for uni courses.
Reply 13
Original post by Bardem
That's a very impressive grade, even more so considering you learnt Russian from scratch. I'm going to try to get an A at AS but at A2 it sounds much more difficult.

well i did gcse russian too so i had a good 2 years BG at least :biggrin:. Good thing is that the grade boundaries are quite low so that even though its hard you can still obtain a good mark, heres last years grade boundaries for both AS and A2:

************************max A B C D E N U
6RU01 Russian 1 50 37 32 27 23 19 15 0
6RU02 Russian 2 70 48 43 38 33 28 23 0

**************************max A* A B C D E N U
6RU03 Russian 3 50 43 38 33 28 24 20 16 0
6RU04 Russian 4 100 82 73 64 55 46 38 30 0

dammit it doesn't like spaces or alt 255 ¬¬ you get the picture anyway lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
well i did gcse russian too so i had a good 2 years BG at least :biggrin:. Good thing is that the grade boundaries are quite low so that even though its hard you can still obtain a good mark, heres last years grade boundaries for both AS and A2:

Do you have a link for the mark scheme? I can't quite make it out lol.
Reply 15
Original post by Bardem
Do you have a link for the mark scheme? I can't quite make it out lol.

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1006%20GCE%20Units%20Grade%20Boundaries%20(Home%20and%20Int).pdf

2nd to last page.
Reply 16

I guess the low grade boundaries are comforting. It's like that at GCSE as well.

What was the transition from GCSE to AS like, in terms of both the content covered, and the atmosphere in the classroom? I currently have 13 people in my GCSE class, and I believe there might be even more people in my class next year, due to the merging of two classes.

Would you say it's slightly less formal and more relaxed? My teacher suggested we'll be doing more discussions in groups and also as a class. I know the style of teaching will vary between teachers, but did you notice a big change?

How much time do you get for oral practice every week?

Are the examiners much stricter with spelling and grammar than they are at GCSE?

I'd be thrilled if you could answer some of my questions.

Reply 17
Original post by und
I guess the low grade boundaries are comforting. It's like that at GCSE as well.

What was the transition from GCSE to AS like, in terms of both the content covered, and the atmosphere in the classroom? I currently have 13 people in my GCSE class, and I believe there might be even more people in my class next year, due to the merging of two classes.

Would you say it's slightly less formal and more relaxed? My teacher suggested we'll be doing more discussions in groups and also as a class. I know the style of teaching will vary between teachers, but did you notice a big change?

Are the examiners much stricter with spelling and grammar than they are at GCSE?

There's only 5 people in my French and 7 in Russian lol.
Reply 18
Original post by und

The atmosphere was a lot more relaxed but i think a large part was because few people decided to continue to learn Russian (13 at gcse, 4 at AS, 3 at A2) thus i guess there was a more friendly one to one tuition.

The transition between GCSE and AS wasn't too bad when considering the large gap between scientific subjects. As you'd expect theres just more grammar and more vocab and the topics are rather similar to gcse eg. obesity, alcohol, sport etc.

There wasn't much sort of 'dedicated' oral practise every week, our teacher generally tries to incorporate speaking when going over our topics during lessons to try and get us to become more fluent. We generally start preparing for the speaking exam around jan just getting sentences together and towards the time when we do it we may get 20 minutes practise sessions with the teacher.

The main thing is the vocab and how well you respond that gets you the marks. An essay out of 45 generally only has 5-7 marks dedicated to accuracy so you can be really sloppy and still get good grades.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Bardem
There's only 5 people in my French and 7 in Russian lol.

Do you go to a private school? There are thirty people in my French class and thirteen in Russian is the least number of people I have in any of my classes!

The atmosphere was a lot more relaxed but i think a large part was because few people decided to continue to learn Russian (13 at gcse, 4 at AS, 3 at A2) thus i guess there was a more friendly one to one tuition.

The transition between GCSE and AS wasn't too bad when considering the large gap between scientific subjects. As you'd expect theres just more grammar and more vocab and the topics are rather similar to gcse eg. obesity, alcohol, sport etc.

There wasn't much sort of 'dedicated' oral practise every week, our teacher generally tries to incorporate speaking when going over our topics during lessons to try and get us to become more fluent. We generally start preparing for the speaking exam around jan just getting sentences together and towards the time when we do it we may get 20 minutes practise sessions with the teacher.

The main thing is the vocab and how well you respond that gets you the marks. An essay out of 45 generally only has 5-7 marks dedicated to accuracy so you can be really sloppy and still get good grades.

Thank you for the helpful post. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending