The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
Original post by kateamelia
Well, I'm being realistic as I know how competitive Medicine is, so although I love Bristol I'm not sure if I'll apply there as they do seem to be very selective. My line up will probably look something like this:

Bristol (Maybe, not sure :s-smilie:)
Southampton
BSMS / maybe Barts?
KCL,
I've been on open days to all these last year when I was thinking of doing something else, so I've yet to look at the proportion of PBL they have etc but I just liked these places in general :smile:
What about you?

Yes I know same, I was considering Oxbridge until I finally decided medicine. :tongue:

Nottingham
Newcastle
Birmingham
Sheffield

I may change though. :smile:
Reply 2081
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Ahem. Hello....big country north of Newcastle....:tongue:

No fees for Scottish students here, only living costs. And anyone from England, Wales, Northern Ireland gets charged around £1800 pa.

Ooops, I meant in England. :tongue:
Reply 2082
Original post by thegodofgod
But after 4 years of studying, the NHS tuition fees bursary kicks in, so we save £9,000 or £18,000 depending on if you intercalate or not :biggrin:

(Because I think the student loan company only give out student loans for 4 years, so the NHS pays the rest)

Oh really? Sounds good :smile:
Reply 2083
huh? holidays?

Lucky

Had to go back today :yawn:

Although I've got tomorrow, Thursday, then Tuesday to Friday, then Monday to Wednesday and then study leave for a month :biggrin:

Same with me.. though saying that I think there's only 4 days until Biol 1?
Original post by liviaaa
Same with me.. though saying that I think there's only 4 days until Biol 1?

Don't know about Biol 1 - sat that in January :redface:

Biol 2's on the 18th though, as is C1 (or C2, can't remember) :tongue:
yo

Chem question

When an alkene has more than 1 double bond, do you put a di before the ene?

CH2=C=CH2

So would this be propene, or propdiene

CH3CH2CH=CHCH2CH=CH2

Would this be Hept-1,4- diene

or

Hept-1,4-ene
Ahem. Hello....big country north of Newcastle....:tongue:

No fees for Scottish students here, only living costs. And anyone from England, Wales, Northern Ireland gets charged around £1800 pa.

Only £1800 pa for tuition fees for unis in Scotland? :eek:
Then why isnt everyone from England charging to Scotland to escape the tuition fee rise? :confused:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Only £1800 pa for tuition fees for unis in Scotland? :eek:
Then why isnt everyone from England charging to Scotland to escape the tuition fee rise? :confused:

They do/are/will be. Most are put off by the distance and there is a far larger selection of unis south of the border :smile:
Original post by SteveCrain
yo

Chem question

CH2=C=CH2

CH3CH2CH=CHCH2CH=CH2

or

Hept-1,4-ene

1. Prop-1,2-diene.

2. Hept-1,4-diene.

If there is more than 1 double bond, it is not an alkene, as an alkene only has 1 double bond, general formula = CnH2n.
Reply 2089
Don't know about Biol 1 - sat that in January :redface:

Biol 2's on the 18th though, as is C1 (or C2, can't remember) :tongue:

Oh lucky! We didn't do January modules :/ I think it's C2 on the same day as biol 2?
Original post by liviaaa
Oh lucky! We didn't do January modules :/ I think it's C2 on the same day as biol 2?

Yeah - I even have 2 exams that occur at the same time... twice :eek:

So will be quarantined :dance: - never happened to me before :tongue:
They do/are/will be. Most are put off by the distance and there is a far larger selection of unis south of the border :smile:

Oh righty-ho...
So is there going to be a big rise in applicants to Scottish unis??
I was considering Edinburgh, but I think theres already a huge applicant : places ratio... so if its going to rise even more I might be scared off..! :tongue:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Oh righty-ho...
So is there going to be a big rise in applicants to Scottish unis??
I was considering Edinburgh, but I think theres already a huge applicant : places ratio... so if its going to rise even more I might be scared off..! :tongue:

Well I think everyone is expecting that. It will vary between courses.

Which is why you should come to Aberdeen :biggrin:
Reply 2093
1. Prop-1,2-diene.

2. Hept-1,4-diene.

If there is more than 1 double bond, it is not an alkene, as an alkene only has 1 double bond, general formula = CnH2n.

I think it's:

Prop-1,2-adiene and Hept-1,4-adiene?
Original post by liviaaa
Yes I know same, I was considering Oxbridge until I finally decided medicine. :tongue:

Haha yeah same here, I was considering Oxford until I decided to apply for Medicine. I thought I should atleast give myself a chance. :tongue:
Reply 2095
Original post by SteveCrain
yo

Chem question

CH2=C=CH2

CH3CH2CH=CHCH2CH=CH2

or

Hept-1,4-ene

I think it's:

Prop-1,2-adiene and Hept-1,4-adiene?
Reply 2096
Original post by kateamelia
Haha yeah same here, I was considering Oxford until I decided to apply for Medicine. I thought I should atleast give myself a chance. :tongue:

Yes i'm still debating it tbh.. I don't want to regret it one way or the other. Also, I've seen on some succesful applicants profiles this year, some only have 4 A*s at GCSE for Medicine, which surprised me. (Though then maybe that means they did very well in the BMAT... :tongue:)
Reply 2097
Alsoooo...

Does anyone doing AQA Biology use any websites for revision? I have a text book and class notes, but I want something different to read from? I find with AQA biology you need a broader range of knowledge :/
Original post by liviaaa
Yes i'm still debating it tbh.. I don't want to regret it one way or the other. Also, I've seen on some succesful applicants profiles this year, some only have 4 A*s at GCSE for Medicine, which surprised me. (Though then maybe that means they did very well in the BMAT... :tongue:)

Well since 80% of people get rejected, I doubt there are many people out there studying medicine 'regretting' that they didn't choose Oxford.
Original post by liviaaa

For Oxford??

I thought they love the GCSEs, but Cambridge love the BMAT (and 90%+ UMS scores of course :rolleyes:)

Latest

Trending

Trending