The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel 2011

I started this thread for all us Edexcel students, as we are seriously lacking Edexcel threads.

Chat, ask questions, whatever...and good luck! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lozzyhickers
I started this thread for all us Edexcel students, as we are seriously lacking Edexcel threads.

Hey :smile: I do edexcel psych.
Have you done unit 3 in January? Which topics did you do?
Reply 2

hello i have edexcel A2 biology and chemistry exams in june. so how is revision going and what are your revision strategies!!!
Reply 3
Original post by INeedToRevise
Hey :smile: I do edexcel psych.
Have you done unit 3 in January? Which topics did you do?

Hello, no we're not allowed to do it in Jan in our college, because statistically we do better in June, how did it go? Was it as hard as you thought it was?

We've done Criminal, Child, Clinical and obviously, issues and debates. What ones did you do?
Original post by precious7
hello i have edexcel A2 biology and chemistry exams in june. so how is revision going and what are your revision strategies!!!

Hi, This thread is specifically for A2 Edexcel Psych students, which is why it's in the Psych section. But to answer your question, i've had quite a few revision strategies over the years, and whether they work for me chages alot. Adn atm none of them seem to be working because I have an illness which greatly affects my concentration =/
Hello, no we're not allowed to do it in Jan in our college, because statistically we do better in June, how did it go? Was it as hard as you thought it was?

We've done Criminal, Child, Clinical and obviously, issues and debates. What ones did you do?

Exactly the same! Haha thats weird!!

It was ok :frown: I didn't do that good so I'm resitting it in June. There are so many studies!! How do you remember them all? Have you finished being taught on everything then in school?
Reply 5
Exactly the same! Haha thats weird!!

It was ok :frown: I didn't do that good so I'm resitting it in June. There are so many studies!! How do you remember them all? Have you finished being taught on everything then in school?

Bad luck :frown: But at least you get to resit, if I muck up in June that's it! Luckly i'm predicted way higher than my uni offer though :redface:

A few of the studies we did last year, like Loftus and Palmer,Bandura, Gottesham and Shields etc so they're firmly embedded into my brain now, as for the others, some I just remember instantly, some I have to put into a table to remember all the details. But i'm crap at dates, so it's a good job they don't matter much! How do you remember? And yes, all teaching is over for me! Just revision now :s-smilie:
Bad luck :frown: But at least you get to resit, if I muck up in June that's it! Luckly i'm predicted way higher than my uni offer though :redface:

A few of the studies we did last year, like Loftus and Palmer,Bandura, Gottesham and Shields etc so they're firmly embedded into my brain now, as for the others, some I just remember instantly, some I have to put into a table to remember all the details. But i'm crap at dates, so it's a good job they don't matter much! How do you remember? And yes, all teaching is over for me! Just revision now :s-smilie:

I didn't do badly. Just need a better grade for uni. I need an A for uni :frown:
Yeah, we did all of them last year as well :smile: there are so many for child though.

I just make cue cards with all the studies. And read over them. Thats what I did last year. And then just recall from memory. This year, I haven't been focusing on psychology too much. Probably why I have to resit.
Have you got notes on Goldsteins' study??
Reply 7
I didn't do badly. Just need a better grade for uni. I need an A for uni :frown:
Yeah, we did all of them last year as well :smile: there are so many for child though.

I just make cue cards with all the studies. And read over them. Thats what I did last year. And then just recall from memory. This year, I haven't been focusing on psychology too much. Probably why I have to resit.
Have you got notes on Goldsteins' study??

Oooh I think you can do it, you can't have been far off. Where are you off to then? What are you going to study?
Yeah there's loads to remember for privation/deprivation, mainly for/against daycare, it sucks!

I did that last year, worked really well last yea, but this year, i dunno, doesn't work so well for me, so me and my bf are quizing each other alot. Like you, psychology isn't my top priority at the moment, Film Studies is, that's incredibly hard, and that's the subject I think i'll do worst in so i'm putting in more work there.
I do have a few notes on it yes, the book's explanation was rubbish though!
Oooh I think you can do it, you can't have been far off. Where are you off to then? What are you going to study?
Yeah there's loads to remember for privation/deprivation, mainly for/against daycare, it sucks!

I did that last year, worked really well last yea, but this year, i dunno, doesn't work so well for me, so me and my bf are quizing each other alot. Like you, psychology isn't my top priority at the moment, Film Studies is, that's incredibly hard, and that's the subject I think i'll do worst in so i'm putting in more work there.
I do have a few notes on it yes, the book's explanation was rubbish though!

Haha thanks :smile: I'm hoping to study Pharmacy. Haven't firmed anywhere yet, but probably will be Aston. Yeah I know right?! Child is probably what let me down in January. I'm ok with criminal. I'm trying to balance out psych with the rest of my subjects. I want to get all these studies learnt haha. What grade are you aiming for? And what course do you want to do?

Which book are you using? We have the "Angles" textbook. :s-smilie: Its not very good.
Reply 9
Haha thanks :smile: I'm hoping to study Pharmacy. Haven't firmed anywhere yet, but probably will be Aston. Yeah I know right?! Child is probably what let me down in January. I'm ok with criminal. I'm trying to balance out psych with the rest of my subjects. I want to get all these studies learnt haha. What grade are you aiming for? And what course do you want to do?

Which book are you using? We have the "Angles" textbook. :s-smilie: Its not very good.

I've firmed Psychology at Lincoln, I need 300 points inc. AS, but i'm predicted 390, I'd like to get an A, but as long as I get the points, then I don't mind getting a B, any les than that though, I think i'll be pretty disapointed!

We're using the official 'Edexcel A2 Psychology' one by Christine Brain. You'd think it would be good, as it's official but it's crap! Loads of mistakes in it, we have permission from our teachers to correct them :tongue: They even got the equations for Classical Conditioning wrong!

I'm not bad with criminal either, but I find it hard to rememeber the Yarmey study! I can get y head around the theories pretty easily though, it's evaluations of theories that let me down. I just learnt this new method called A.S.A.V.E.R but I just need to put it into practice now!
(edited 12 years ago)
I've firmed Psychology at Lincoln, I need 300 points inc. AS, but i'm predicted 390, I'd like to get an A, but as long as I get the points, then I don't mind getting a B, any les than that though, I think i'll be pretty disapointed!

We're using the official 'Edexcel A2 Psychology' one by Christine Brain. You'd think it would be good, as it's official but it's crap! Loads of mistakes in it, we have permission from our teachers to correct them :tongue: They even got the equations for Classical Conditioning wrong!

I'm not bad with criminal either, but I find it hard to rememeber the Yarmey study! I can get y head around the theories pretty easily though, it's evaluations of theories that let me down. I just learnt this new method called A.S.A.V.E.R but I just need to put it into practice now!

Ooh cool :smile: I bet our book is much worse! Its literally just text text and text.
A.S.A.V.E.R???
We don't have to learn the Yarmey study.
Ooh cool :smile: I bet our book is much worse! Its literally just text text and text.
A.S.A.V.E.R???
We don't have to learn the Yarmey study.

For evaluating a theory:

A: Alternative Theories
S: Study
A: Application
V: Validity
E: Ethics
R: Reliability

There's also one called G.R.A.V.E for evaluating studies

G: Generalisability

And lucky you, because Yarmey has lots of little details which are vital to the exam, and they're really hard to remember.
(edited 12 years ago)
For evaluating a theory:

A: Alternative Theories
S: Study

There's also one called G.R.A.V.E for evaluating studies

G: Generalisability

And lucky you, because Yarmey has lots of little details which are vital to the exam, and they're really hard to remember.

Ooh cool. Thats helpful :smile: Thanks.
Yeah we use grave.

Oh and I don't know if you have come across this one to remember characteristics of Maternal Deprivation:
ADDIDDAS

A: Agression
D: Deliquency
D: Dwarfism
I: Intellectual Retardation
D: Depression
D: Dependency
A: Affectionless
S: Social maladjustment
(edited 12 years ago)
Ooh cool. Thats helpful :smile: Thanks.
Yeah we use grave.

Oh and I don't know if you have come across this one to remember characteristics of Maternal Deprivation:
ADDIDDAS

A: Agression
D: Deliquency
D: Dwarfism
I: Intellectual Retardation
D: Depression
D: Dependency
A: Affectionless
S: Social maladjustment

Oooh no i've never come accross that one, thank you. A good easy one to remember that!
Oooh no i've never come accross that one, thank you. A good easy one to remember that!

No problem :smile:

How far along with revision are you?
No problem :smile:

How far along with revision are you?

In class, not very far at all, we only finished Issues and debates on the last week before easter, so we haven't got too far except doing to odd bit along the way after finishing approaches.
Personally it's not going too badly, i'm just focusing on my weakness at the moment. How about you?
In class, not very far at all, we only finished Issues and debates on the last week before easter, so we haven't got too far except doing to odd bit along the way after finishing approaches.
Personally it's not going too badly, i'm just focusing on my weakness at the moment. How about you?

I haven't done much on Issues & Debates. We haven't finished clinical yet. Got a little more to finish in school. I'm just worried about Child mostly- trying to focus on that. Need to get all these studies learnt :frown: Psychology always takes a back seat in revision. It shouldn't, but it does :s-smilie: I guess I just prefer bio/chem. Haha.
I haven't done much on Issues & Debates. We haven't finished clinical yet. Got a little more to finish in school. I'm just worried about Child mostly- trying to focus on that. Need to get all these studies learnt :frown: Psychology always takes a back seat in revision. It shouldn't, but it does :s-smilie: I guess I just prefer bio/chem. Haha.

Do you get exam leave though, I know that not all colleges do, so we've basically only got half a term left until we're finished for exams. Did you do Issues and Debates before Clinical then?
I'm a bit like that too, even though Psychology is what I want to do later in life, I find film much harder, so I have to put in some extra work there to get the grades to get into uni lol.
Do you get exam leave though, I know that not all colleges do, so we've basically only got half a term left until we're finished for exams. Did you do Issues and Debates before Clinical then?
I'm a bit like that too, even though Psychology is what I want to do later in life, I find film much harder, so I have to put in some extra work there to get the grades to get into uni lol.

Yeah. We go until half term. And then we are off forever :smile: haha. Just have to come in for exams. We did Clinical and Issues&Debates at the same time. I had two different teachers. But I had the teacher that taught me Clincal less often hence why we haven't finished.

Only two people that do Edexcel Psych. Haha.

Oh and I'm exactly the same. I know I need to do better in bio/chem so I focus on them a lot more than psych.
Yeah. We go until half term. And then we are off forever :smile: haha. Just have to come in for exams. We did Clinical and Issues&Debates at the same time. I had two different teachers. But I had the teacher that taught me Clincal less often hence why we haven't finished.

Only two people that do Edexcel Psych. Haha.

Oh and I'm exactly the same. I know I need to do better in bio/chem so I focus on them a lot more than psych.

Ah that makes sense, i'm sure you'll be fine though, at least you can concentrate on Unit 4 a bit more :tongue: I can't elieve the exams are so lcose together. My exam timetable is a bitch!

And I know, we're special :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending