The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
1. They can read the news or use Google.

2. They can rebel all they like. But they must realise that there are consequences for their actions and their actions will not be tolerated.

3. If a teenager is too sheep-like to better their own life for the sake of being part of their pathetic crowd, so be it. They'll regret it.

4. Believe me, I do. Don't ****ing tell me what I don't or do know. How come people were still educated in poor environments? Or people from third world countries?

5. But your stupid extreme example does not reflect the general situation.

6. Change the welfare system. That'll sort them out. And if they don't want a job, fine, might as well kick them out at the earliest opportunity.

1. I meant emotionally, your reply kind of reflected my point.

2. If there are too many rules though they will be resentful for the rest of their lives, this won't help ANYONE.

3. Most people are sheep, never mind teenagers, it is difficult work breaking out of that conditioning.

4. In many cases, you cannot willpower your way out of environmental conditioning without serious help.

5. It is not as stupid as you make out. Many people in my area are like this, it is not so extreme really, the extremity comes with the type of the abuse, be it neglect or direct abuse.

6. I agree, the welfare system should be changed, more targeted and less bureaucratic.
Reply 761
Education is power only if you ****ing use it and pay attention, no? :rolleyes:

No, education is power full stop. If you use it well even better but if you use it badly it's still pretty powerful. Also, please don't swear at me. thanks
Original post by Circadian_Rhythm

Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
1. I meant emotionally, your reply kind of reflected my point.

2. If there are too many rules though they will be resentful for the rest of their lives, this won't help ANYONE.

3. Most people are sheep, never mind teenagers, it is difficult work breaking out of that conditioning.

4. In many cases, you cannot willpower your way out of environmental conditioning without serious help.

5. It is not as stupid as you make out. Many people in my area are like this, it is not so extreme really, the extremity comes with the type of the abuse, be it neglect or direct abuse.

6. I agree, the welfare system should be changed, more targeted and less bureaucratic.

1. Yeah, the majority of teenagers are disaffected with the world and THIS causes the inability to shut up.

2. Oh come on! How are: a) being quiet, b) doing your work, c) showing your respect etc "too many rules"? They're called manners.

3. Then people need to get a grip. No excuse for their behaviour.

4. What is "many"? Give me some ****ing statistics. Because even if it is 100% of people in your area who are like that - compared to the rest of Britain? It's relatively small.

6. And not give school drop-outs an easy life.
Original post by MissNel
No, education is power full stop. If you use it well even better but if you use it badly it's still pretty powerful. Also, please don't swear at me. thanks

Please, elaborate on that point.

That is such a stupid statement to make.
Reply 764
In my University course, there is a group of 6 or 7 Pakistani/Indian girls (most I believe due to how good their English is, have grown up in Glasgow for a while.)

They. Don't. Shut. Up.

I swear I want to turn round sometimes and tell them to F*** off.
But then they'll play the "racial discrimination" card and I'll get called a racist.

They're not just disruptive either! One of my friends is gay and at the introductory lecture he had to sit next to one of them and supposedly they muttered rather loudly "Oh great, just my luck I have to sit next to the gay guy"

Seriously, nothing against people of other races, but if they want to be bitchy and disrupt lectures where I need to listen, they can clear off.
1. Yeah, the majority of teenagers are disaffected with the world and THIS causes the inability to shut up.

2. Oh come on! How are: a) being quiet, b) doing your work, c) showing your respect etc "too many rules"? They're called manners.

3. Then people need to get a grip. No excuse for their behaviour.

4. What is "many"? Give me some ****ing statistics. Because even if it is 100% of people in your area who are like that - compared to the rest of Britain? It's relatively small.

6. And not give school drop-outs an easy life.

1. We will disagree ad infinitum. We have our own evidences.

2. Yes manners are great. But I was talking rules in general is all.

3. Refer to number one.

4. All I have is my area, and my parents experience throughout the UK and the Middle East/Africa. There are no statistics for peoples emotions and personal experiences (No matter how much the Tories want to have a happy-ometer).

Just a final point (I think we are reaching an end to our aside): Open your mind to other types of evidence apart from statistics. Just try and be more emotionally aware you will see the world very differently.
The cane.
Reply 767
Please, elaborate on that point.

That is such a stupid statement to make.

Hitler was a pretty well educatated guy. Obviously that is an extreme example but I think you get the point now?

Plus, empowering people to change their lives is not about asking them not to follow the crowd. For some people it's asking them to turn away from their culture and their family. It's 10x easier for someone from a middle class family to get into university than it is for someone from a rough background. This just shows how much other factors play into how a person succeeds in life.
(edited 12 years ago)
Fair enough, but I'm talking about the people IN BOLD.

Also, how the **** does a poor home life mean you can instantly disregard the rules? Rules are there for everyone.

i know very few people that did it for a laugh, because they thought they were cool.
the majority have something going on, and dont forget iv been there AND iv worked with them.

for a start if you have no rules at home, or are allowed to get away with stuff, then thats how you run your life by ignoring rules. iv seen it from a youth work perspective.

also if theres stuff going on in your head, then a few rules mean nothing to you.

but again i really cba arguing with about it.
Original post by MissNel
Hitler was a pretty well educatated guy. Obviously that is an extreme example but I think you get the point now?

:lolwut: No he wasn't. He failed most of his exams at school, mooched around Vienna for a while, failed to get into art school and then joined the bavarian army.

Mein Kampf is written in extremely poor German grammar-wise, too.

:colonhash:
Reply 770
Put them in a class with a better teacher.
I find teachers/lecturers play a big part on the students behaviour too.
They can't be too nice or else the students will take advantage of them and eventually they won't have control over them. Too strict and students will start to hate the lessons and the teacher.

I know in my highschool, we were put in different classes depending on our grades and the ones in the bottom classes usually get the teachers who can explain the subject better and has more patience.
Reply 771
Original post by medbh4805
:
Mein Kampf is written in extremely poor German grammar-wise, too.

:colonhash:

You've read mein Kampf? ooookay then :s
Original post by ella37
Put them in a class with a better teacher.
I find teachers/lecturers play a big part on the students behaviour too.
I know in my highschool, we were put in different classes depending on our grades and the ones in the bottom classes usually get the teachers who can explain the subject better and has more patience.

This is a really good idea, I just wish more schools would have this idea. As it is most schools give the best teachers to top sets and the poorer ability (and often, but not always, the most disruptive) classes to the poorer teachers. This starts way back in primary school where it is the norm for the Teaching Assistant to work with a low ability group while the teacher is with the rest of the class. The class teacher should always make the effort to work directly with pupils who are struggling even if it is only once a week, every few lessons or something. It gives the pupils confidence as well as them being taught by the most qualified and well trained person.
Reply 772
bring back the cane - well sort of. some people who dont want to learn need carrot and stick treatment, if they dont want to learn, and dont repont to incentives, its time to make them learn. no responsible society should leave people to fail by the side of the road. if all else has failed its time to instill fear in them to learn and bring out the stick.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MissNel
You've read mein Kampf? ooookay then :

Yes. And?

It was a really poor example, Hitler wasn't that well educated at all. Goebbels on the other hand....
Reply 774
Original post by MissNel

This is a really good idea, I just wish more schools would have this idea. As it is most schools give the best teachers to top sets and the poorer ability (and often, but not always, the most disruptive) classes to the poorer teachers. This starts way back in primary school where it is the norm for the Teaching Assistant to work with a low ability group while the teacher is with the rest of the class. The class teacher should always make the effort to work directly with pupils who are struggling even if it is only once a week, every few lessons or something. It gives the pupils confidence as well as them being taught by the most qualified and well trained person.

Well, I wouldn't say it worked perfectly for my year. Because the better classes got the not so good teachers, they tended to do badly eventually and became quite laid-back. They probably did that so the statistics would even out and not be on the extremes.

I guess my point is, get better teachers who actually know their stuff AND can teach. I've seen so many teachers with doctorates yet fail to inspire and teach students. But then again, it's not always the teacher's fault. :smile: Some kids are just too stubborn.
Reply 775
Original post by ella37
Well, I wouldn't say it worked perfectly for my year. Because the better classes got the not so good teachers, they tended to do badly eventually and became quite laid-back. They probably did that so the statistics would even out and not be on the extremes.

I guess my point is, get better teachers who actually know their stuff AND can teach. I've seen so many teachers with doctorates yet fail to inspire and teach students. But then again, it's not always the teacher's fault. :smile: Some kids are just too stubborn.

Yeah that's a good point. The ideal solution would be for all teachers to be high quality but obviously thats never gonna happen. There are always gonna be the teachers who cannot even control the top set and, like you say, the ones who cannot bring things down to the pupils level even though they're ridiculously smart. My chemistry teacher was like this, knew exactly what he was talking about but couldn't explain it at all and got really annoyed when people didn't understand. The other chemistry teacher was a recently qualified teacher and it was her first year teaching A level but she was fantastic and in the end everyone did much better in her modules.
Reply 776
Original post by EggmanD
Sigh..

First.. we are talking about CHILDREN... not fully developed adults who know what is acceptable and not acceptable in society making your mirrored 'not punishable' and your whole basic 'change the scenario' argument useless.

Second.. bordom creates disruption because it leads to frustration and anger which are either cured by annoying the teacher/other pupils or released from bullying or fighting. If the child displayed bordom to a certain subject at a certain age (im not a developmental psychologist so i dont know anything about this) they could opt in to do something they enjoy rather than suffer.. of course this should not allow them to do nothing as i did say "Obviously kids need a base learning of certain subjects to communicate, work out basic sums on a day to day basis or to have some idea of how the world we live on works but there needs to be more nurture and reason and less blanket punishment IMO."

Example.. I have never used advanced equations or long devision in my life since i did maths at GCSE and i dont think ill ever come across more than 5 times when i will and i will probably ask my mate who does maths at uni to do it for me lol.. if i had done something i wanted to in place of something not considered a necessity then maybe i would be on a better path.

At my old school my mates brother has the option to do something called groundworking which is some outdoor activities/studies **** as well as a greater range of gcse subjects.. including one i enjoyed at a level which is photography.

In theory this should make pupils at this age less disruptive because those who are only bored will have more options and those pupils who are disruptive because they are brought up by scum and have no manners will be punished because they deserve it.

This is only an idea and how i feel about this subject.. changing the scenario and ignoring others points is useless, stupid and if anything recessive.

Well this little event I'm sharing with you happened when I was 13-14 (can't remember the exact age, but it was definatly either 13 or 14, I don't think it matters whether it was 13 or 14 as long as it was one of them, and it certainly was). So unless you are talking about primary school children, my argument is perfectly legit.

Please don't get me wrong, I agree that forcing people to do maths ect is not a particularly good idea and the system of what subjects students *have* to do should be changed, but that's not the issue here. As of today, people still have to do maths ect for GCSE and sadly its not about to change any time soon.

Now today as it stands, these people (who rightly or wrongly are forced to do subjects they might not find particularly interesting) should not be allowed to get away with ruining classes for other people, simply because they are "bored", and that should never, ever, EVER be considered a legitimate excuse for it.

There are plenty of other students who are "bored", but manage to control themselves for the sake of their peers. Those who refuse to do so, MUST be disciplined and if that doesn't work then regrettably they MUST do their work in isolation in an empty room until they CAN control themselves (in my experience a few lessons in a deserted room very quickly made me appreciate how much more interesting having a teacher made the subject).
Original post by ella37

Original post by ella37

I like the view that you put on the teachers; a lot of people put the blame solely on the students without holding the teachers accountable. I just finished my freshman year at the Uni and I have learned a hell of a lot. About the subjects I learned, the people around me, and about life itself. This idea of "bad teachers" becomes much more prevalent at a university as the students there (for the most part) are more serious about their education and there are sites like "rate my professor" that bring this idea forward; that sometimes it's the teachers that fail the students, figuratively and literally of course.
Reply 778
Original post by Jamesey
Well this little event I'm sharing with you happened when I was 13-14 (can't remember the exact age, but it was definatly either 13 or 14, I don't think it matters whether it was 13 or 14 as long as it was one of them, and it certainly was). So unless you are talking about primary school children, my argument is perfectly legit.

Please don't get me wrong, I agree that forcing people to do maths ect is not a particularly good idea and the system of what subjects students *have* to do should be changed, but that's not the issue here. As of today, people still have to do maths ect for GCSE and sadly its not about to change any time soon.

Now today as it stands, these people (who rightly or wrongly are forced to do subjects they might not find particularly interesting) should not be allowed to get away with ruining classes for other people, simply because they are "bored", and that should never, ever, EVER be considered a legitimate excuse for it.

There are plenty of other students who are "bored", but manage to control themselves for the sake of their peers. Those who refuse to do so, MUST be disciplined and if that doesn't work then regrettably they MUST do their work in isolation in an empty room until they CAN control themselves (in my experience a few lessons in a deserted room very quickly made me appreciate how much more interesting having a teacher made the subject).

Most people are bored with their jobs but they tolerate them because it has its gains. If there was a better system to help children envision their future by highlighting how such subjects can help them rather than forcing them to learn i think it would reduce disruptiveness.

When i was doing long equations and algebra i had no idea what i would use it for therefore i hated it. If i knew it would help with, say Chemistry which i enjoyed i might of focused harder.. Just a thought but i agree that there is a gap between children who are cracking jokes or doodling because they are bored and those who are a serious disruption to others regardless.
Reply 779
Original post by EggmanD
Most people are bored with their jobs but they tolerate them because it has its gains. If there was a better system to help children envision their future by highlighting how such subjects can help them rather than forcing them to learn i think it would reduce disruptiveness.

That's a really good idea. It probably would make things better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending