The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liviaaa
some only have 4 A*s at GCSE for Medicine,

:O, really? Maybe I do have a chance after all!
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Well since 80% of people get rejected, I doubt there are many people out there studying medicine 'regretting' that they didn't choose Oxford.

80% get rejected? :eek:

I thought 60% get 4 rejections :sad:
Original post by liviaaa
I think it's:

Prop-1,2-adiene and Hept-1,4-adiene?

It is just diene, without the a. The actual group is called the dienes

Cheers for the responses
Original post by thegodofgod

He's talking about Oxford.
Original post by SteveCrain

okay - makes sense

cheers :smile:

Actually I'm talking about medicine admissions generally. 60% is a 5-6 year old figure, Manchester are telling people are their open day (and a family friend works in St Andrews admissions) that it will be closer to 80% nationwide now.

It is impossible to get an accurate figure...but most people get rejected :s-smilie:
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
That makes applying simpler then. :smile: So is your main want from a med school that it's city based?

Same, I'm going to open days around October... but tbh there are only ~four unis that I REALLY want to go to because of their courses/location so I dunno if there's much point of open days.

Good luck with UKCAT, it looks scaryyyy!

yep! I love big cities! loads to do and see :smile:
most of my open days are straight after exams! lol
only problem I can perceive about London would be living accomodation..I really dont want to be living in a tiny room with just about room for a bed..oh well. cant have everything i suppose :tongue:
thank you! good luck to you too! Im sure we will both do fine :smile:
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Hi yeah i'm considering Kings and maybe UCL, still thinking about UCL though.

cool :smile: looks like a lot of people are considering them both!
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Cool. Oh, well I have found 1 place in a GP and another place in a GP but that one doesn't include patient contact. In the first one the doctor said I'm gonna get hands on experience with him :tongue:

But i'm going to get a lot more experience next year because i'm considering the gap year.

Oh well done!
Why are you considering a gap year?
It is just diene, without the a. The actual group is called the dienes

Cheers for the responses

the group is called dienes but the suffix is -adiene. And I believe the numbers are actually placed at the start of the name eg. 1,3-butadiene.

edit: sorry just realised going by the IUPAC it would be but-1,3-diene. Forget everything I just said, I read it in an old text book which obviously hadn't updated its naming system :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2110
Yeah - I even have 2 exams that occur at the same time... twice :eek:

So will be quarantined :dance: - never happened to me before :tongue:

Oh dear :/ Different exam boards?
Reply 2111
Well since 80% of people get rejected, I doubt there are many people out there studying medicine 'regretting' that they didn't choose Oxford.

But 80% also get interviews, which is the first hurdle. :smile: (Cambridge interview more though I think?)
Reply 2112
For Oxford??

I thought they love the GCSEs, but Cambridge love the BMAT (and 90%+ UMS scores of course :rolleyes:)

Yes, look on the Medical Admissions page. :smile:
Reply 2113
Original post by kateamelia
:O, really? Maybe I do have a chance after all!

Yes, but I'm guessing they must have something else to make them stand out?
Original post by liviaaa
But 80% also get interviews, which is the first hurdle. :smile: (Cambridge interview more though I think?)

Yes but the stats show that getting an offer from that interview is a pretty massive hurdle :s-smilie:
Reply 2115
Yes but the stats show that getting an offer from that interview is a pretty massive hurdle :s-smilie:

Yes true. :tongue: I'll wait and see what my UMS are, then I'll decide.
Original post by liviaaa
Yes true. :tongue: I'll wait and see what my UMS are, then I'll decide.

Good plan :biggrin: Too many people make up their minds too early and end up being disappointed :frown:
Biology Maths Chemistry Arabic ... where should I apply?
Reply 2118
Good plan :biggrin: Too many people make up their minds too early and end up being disappointed :frown:

Yupp...slightly worried on that front about medicine in general, like if I don't get 4 A's this summer :/
Reply 2119
Original post by thewriter
Biology Maths Chemistry Arabic ... where should I apply?

This is acceptable for most, assuming you take maths, bio, chem at A2. Some want biology at A2 (incase you were considering dropping it) and all want chem.

I know UCL like a contrasting arts subject - Arabic is definatley contrasting?

Latest

Trending

Trending