The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thewriter
Biology Maths Chemistry Arabic ... where should I apply?

A lot will depend on your grades and score for entrance exams.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Work_Experience
Original post by liviaaa
Yupp...slightly worried on that front about medicine in general, like if I don't get 4 A's this summer :/

Who dares wins I guess :tongue: Seriously, despite the heavy competition, if you don't try then you don't get :smile: I would rather get 4 rejections than never apply and regret it for the rest of my life :frown:
Reply 2122
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Who dares wins I guess :tongue: Seriously, despite the heavy competition, if you don't try then you don't get :smile: I would rather get 4 rejections than never apply and regret it for the rest of my life :frown:

I just mean if I don't get 4 A's I won't apply, as what's the point as this would be the offer? If not I will. :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
This is acceptable for most, assuming you take maths, bio, chem at A2. Some want biology at A2 (incase you were considering dropping it) and all want chem.

I know UCL like a contrasting arts subject - Arabic is definatley contrasting?

Yes I know and I am doing ALL at A2 and I thought Arabic would be something different PLUS I am really good at it ... so I thought ... why not?

I do hope it isn't a bad thing ...
Reply 2124
Yes I know and I am doing ALL at A2 and I thought Arabic would be something different PLUS I am really good at it ... so I thought ... why not?

I do hope it isn't a bad thing ...

Okay. :smile:

Taking an extra isn't a bad thing, as long as it doesn't drag your grades down overall. Also because you apply to medicine very early on in September, you will be telling the uni's you are takig 4 subjects. If you decide by November 4 is too hard work, and wangt to drop one, you have to tell the uni's - who have the right to withdraw an offer they've offered you. So just make sure, you're 100%!
Original post by liviaaa
Oh dear :/ Different exam boards?

Yeah, both clashes are OCR / Edexcel
Reply 2126
Original post by thegodofgod
Yeah, both clashes are OCR / Edexcel

Ah okay. They should co-ordinate. :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa
Okay. :smile:

Taking an extra isn't a bad thing, as long as it doesn't drag your grades down overall. Also because you apply to medicine very early on in September, you will be telling the uni's you are takig 4 subjects. If you decide by November 4 is too hard work, and wangt to drop one, you have to tell the uni's - who have the right to withdraw an offer they've offered you. So just make sure, you're 100%!

No no it doesn't drag it down - I don't open a book for Arabic because I used to take First Language Arabic from when I was a Kid so now I do the exams for the Second Language speakers as it should be ... since I'm from england ... so i am 100% !! :biggrin: thankyou I never knew that ^^
hey peeps :smile:
just wanted to know how likely would it be for me to get into medicine with these results:
1 A*
2 A's
4 B's
I was predicted all A's but because my grandad passed away etc i wasnt able to perform well do you guys reckon it will affect my application. Sorry to bug, but just really worried.
Thanks.
Reply 2129
No no it doesn't drag it down - I don't open a book for Arabic because I used to take First Language Arabic from when I was a Kid so now I do the exams for the Second Language speakers as it should be ... since I'm from england ... so i am 100% !! :biggrin: thankyou I never knew that ^^

Oh okay you must be good then! :smile:
Reply 2130
Original post by Ronnylover
just wanted to know how likely would it be for me to get into medicine with these results:
1 A*
2 A's
4 B's
I was predicted all A's but because my grandad passed away etc i wasnt able to perform well do you guys reckon it will affect my application. Sorry to bug, but just really worried.
Thanks.

Universities vary on GCSE grades, so some like Birmingham say they want at least 7 A*s. I suggest looking at websites of different universities.

There are special circumstances for people who haven't been able to perfom their best for different reasons, and I do believe these are taken into account.

Are you predicted A's? If not most won't even look at you - A levels are key.
1 A*
2 A's
4 B's
Thanks.

They'd take the extenuating circumstances into account, but probably scrutinize your AS grades, as your GCSE grades aren't very representative of what you would have achieved.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Universities vary on GCSE grades, so some like Birmingham say they want at least 7 A*s. I suggest looking at websites of different universities.

There are special circumstances for people who haven't been able to perfom their best for different reasons, and I do believe these are taken into account.

Are you predicted A's? If not most won't even look at you - A levels are key.

a's and b's :frown: but revising my a*** off hope all goes well :smile: but thank you though :tongue:
Original post by thegodofgod
They'd take the extenuating circumstances into account, but probably scrutinize your AS grades, as your GCSE grades aren't very representative of what you would have achieved.

Good luck :smile:

hmm ok .. yeah theyre not great... but oh wells got to chin up and work even harder :redface: thank you.
Reply 2134
a's and b's :frown: but revising my a*** off hope all goes well :smile: but thank you though :tongue:

Well they're only predictions, if you get all A's this summer, your teacher can't predict you a B next year, which is what you send off. :tongue: Good luck!
Original post by liviaaa
Oh okay you must be good then! :smile:

Sadly only in Arabic ... the others are hell I have to work really hard :P
Reply 2136
Sadly only in Arabic ... the others are hell I have to work really hard :P

I know the feeling - biology is so hard! Well, not the content, but just their mark schemes are so narrow minded. :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa
I know the feeling - biology is so hard! Well, not the content, but just their mark schemes are so narrow minded. :tongue:

I know and to top it off my teacher. He called me "god" yesterday because apparently I invented new bacteria :P
Original post by liviaaa
Well they're only predictions, if you get all A's this summer, your teacher can't predict you a B next year, which is what you send off. :tongue: Good luck!

arghhhhh looll time flies soo quickly just seems as though we started college yesterday and already planning on uni apps lol but hopefully we all get the grades we need :smile: and thankss soo much feel much better noww :biggrin:
Reply 2139
arghhhhh looll time flies soo quickly just seems as though we started college yesterday and already planning on uni apps lol but hopefully we all get the grades we need :smile: and thankss soo much feel much better noww :biggrin:

I know it's gone incredibly fast! Your welcome :smile: Make sure you have some work exp. etc too!

Latest

Trending

Trending