The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by kates:)
Hey people,

I'm going to Durham in October and I'm really keen to join the boat club (college and/or uni). I'm of a pretty good standard of fitness already but am a complete rowing novice, aside from using the erg at the gym. I'm pretty tall and I'm quite strong which I think could work in my favour.

However, over the summer, I really want to work out to build my strength/skills. Would anyone be able to give me any tips in terms of what I should be doing exercise-wise and if there are any nutritional tips you would recommend I would be v.grateful for them as well!

In addition to the above post from partoftheweekend, if you're not completely confident on your erg technique and don't want to get into bad habits (as good as videos can be, if you don't have someone who knows what they're doing there to tell you, you could be doing the wrong thing without really knowing), then do some cross training - cycling and swimming being the two key things that come to mind to help rowing.

Cycling - working many of the major muscles used in rowing
Swimming - same as above but also an incredibly good method of developing cardio and respiratatory systems which you will push to the limit in rowing.

If you are tall and strong as you say then I would suggest going for Durham Uni boat club, as long as you're willing to commit (getting up at 5am for a 6am session on the River Tyne in Newcastle, before lectures), but will reap the benefits!

College clubs are nowhere near as good, though a few have some strong crews - what college are you going to?

Look into joining a local rowing club through the summer, lots do learn to row schemes over the summer months so check out http://www.britishrowing.org/clubs-regions to find your local club and check it out :smile:
Reply 941
Original post by dobbs
In addition to the above post from partoftheweekend, if you're not completely confident on your erg technique and don't want to get into bad habits (as good as videos can be, if you don't have someone who knows what they're doing there to tell you, you could be doing the wrong thing without really knowing), then do some cross training - cycling and swimming being the two key things that come to mind to help rowing.

Cycling - working many of the major muscles used in rowing
Swimming - same as above but also an incredibly good method of developing cardio and respiratatory systems which you will push to the limit in rowing.

If you are tall and strong as you say then I would suggest going for Durham Uni boat club, as long as you're willing to commit (getting up at 5am for a 6am session on the River Tyne in Newcastle, before lectures), but will reap the benefits!

College clubs are nowhere near as good, though a few have some strong crews - what college are you going to?

Look into joining a local rowing club through the summer, lots do learn to row schemes over the summer months so check out http://www.britishrowing.org/clubs-regions to find your local club and check it out :smile:

Thanks :smile: - very helpful! I've just had a quick look at local club's and have found Goring Gap BC and they have a Learn 2 Row scheme which looks good.

I'll certainly get on doing more of the cycling and swimming.

I'm going to Chad's but as I'll be a Masters student I may not (or may) be able to commit to the early sessions on the Tyne - how many times a week would that be? How is Chad's boat club?
Reply 942
Original post by partoftheweekend
Nutrition just eat a lot and eat cleanly. I think its obvious to most people what they should be eating but motivation is the real problem. (try to keep you bodyfat at a medium/low percentage if possible).

Training wise, erg as much as possible. Watch videos online and try to erg in front of a mirror to get the technique down properly. When you feel like your driving with your legs and suspending off the handle with your body weight then you're probably doing the right thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVmMd7FdAA
is a good technique video.

Weights you want to be doing squats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELNQm42pdk
deadlifts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjBI9qxibTc
straight leg deadlifts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpzRX3slWjE

and then maybe press-ups, pull ups and dips should complete it. Do lots of core too, just youtube some core circuits or something.

One of the best exercises is cleans but its pretty technical and you will probably need a proper coach before trying it.

Also get used to pushing yourself. A lot of people spend a lot of time training their body without training their mind. Doing a good erg is very hard as you have to be able to sit on the redline for up to half an hour. Get into the mindset of never giving up, no matter what part of the training process your in.

Thanks to you as well! I'll look at those video's once my dissertation is out of the way!
So whos going to Bucs in a couple weekends?
Reply 944
Original post by kates:)
Thanks :smile: - very helpful! I've just had a quick look at local club's and have found Goring Gap BC and they have a Learn 2 Row scheme which looks good.

I'll certainly get on doing more of the cycling and swimming.

I'm going to Chad's but as I'll be a Masters student I may not (or may) be able to commit to the early sessions on the Tyne - how many times a week would that be? How is Chad's boat club?

Never heard of Goring Gap BC but I'm sure they'll be good for a basic Learn 2 Row course.

Hmmm, Chads is a tiny college so they are very hit and miss, you never know one year they may get a few good rowers but then another year they may have none. So basically the difference between joining Chads rowing and Durham rowing could be massive.

If you joined DUBC (Durham Uni Boat Club) then you'd be expected to follow a training plan something along the lines of:

Mon (Tyne) 6am - 8am
Tue (Durham) 6am - 8am
Wed (Tyne) 6am - 8am
Thur (Durham) 6am - 8am
Fri
Sat (Tyne) 7am - midday
Sun (Tyne) 7am - midday

Then you'd also have some evening weights/fitness/erg (an "erg" is a rowing machine) in there too. It may not be as bad as the above to start with, or all the time, but I think nearer to major competitions you'd be looking at something like the above.

Remember that Durham Uni produces world-class rowers. They push you hard, very hard. But it's worth it if you're looking to be really a top-class rower, just depends what you're looking for.

PS. The above training plan is based on what I've sort of observed/heard from Durham rowers. I rowed for my college, and then rowed at Tyne RC so sort of saw/knew when they were out training. It could be very wrong though!
I row too :smile: hoping to join Bristol Uni's rowing club if i get in this year.
This is gonna sound really weird but does anyone else have a belly piercing? Because i'm getting one done soon and i don't want it to affect my rowing :/
Just got back home after our 2 week rowing camp in London. Spent the first 4 days in Reading, rowing out of Reading BC which was really good! Then went to Streetley and stayed in a youth hostel whilst we rowed out of Oxford Brookes boat house on that stretch of river, and we went to Henley for a day doing 3x2k!

Was good fun, definitely improved my technique a lot. Seat racing every day though :/ I lost my seat race so I won't be going to wallingford head unfortunately!
Reply 947
Made my college first boat for Mays :biggrin:
Reply 948
Original post by SimonM
Made my college first boat for Mays :biggrin:

Nice :awesome:.
Reply 950
Original post by Mithra
Nice :awesome:.

Thanks, killing myself for all of Lent + Easter holidays turned out OK it seems :smile:
I'm looking to row next year.

I was just wondering, are there any advantages of having done rowing after you finish university e.g. do some peope become professional rowers (if that even exists?).

(Not that I want to do it for the benefits, I'm just curious)
Reply 953
Original post by IceWater

I was just wondering, are there any advantages of having done rowing after you finish university e.g. do some peope become professional rowers (if that even exists?).

The only people who'd really class as "professional" rowers are the people in team GB because they get funded by the lottery to train as much as they do without the need for a job.

Edit:

However, since it requires quite a high level of commitment, you could use it when applying for jobs to show stuff like teamwork and the like.
(edited 12 years ago)

Its a very amateur sport and unless you're already pushing to be in the GB U23 squad once you're at uni its unlikely you'll ever make the GB squad and be a paid athlete. Just due to the fact that they're at such a high level compared to everyone else, so its going to be hard to force your way into the group.

The only other benefits tend to come when you're at uni, you may get sports scholarships or have access to universities where your academics may not have got you in. This happens more in the states than over here though.

However its a great sport and the amateurism is what makes it so good. Definitely try it if you can, it may not enhance your wallet but it'll be great for your quality of life.
lovely row in the sun today, although abut 10 browns boats nearly crashed into us, not gonna be fun to row with them always out!

also, sunburn :frown:

Basically, no, there's no advantage beyond being able to put it on your CV, but it's definitely worth going for it anyway.

(Also saw your spoiler, hopefully I'll be seeing you there next year :biggrin:)
Reply 957
Original post by victoria13
lovely row in the sun today, although abut 10 browns boats nearly crashed into us, not gonna be fun to row with them always out!

also, sunburn :frown:

Yes, the worst thing about rowing in Durham is Browns Boats during the summer - they don't have to obey any rules so they're generally all over the place going in the wrong direction. That's bad enough, but then when they just stop in stupid places it's even worse.

One time we were out and suddenly a light summer shower of rain came down so a few browns boats just sat under the arches of Elvet Bridge - we came rowing along and were like "Um can we get through?" and they got really annoyed!! It's like NO DON'T GO OUT IN A BOAT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET WET! DUH.
Original post by dobbs
Yes, the worst thing about rowing in Durham is Browns Boats during the summer - they don't have to obey any rules so they're generally all over the place going in the wrong direction. That's bad enough, but then when they just stop in stupid places it's even worse.

One time we were out and suddenly a light summer shower of rain came down so a few browns boats just sat under the arches of Elvet Bridge - we came rowing along and were like "Um can we get through?" and they got really annoyed!! It's like NO DON'T GO OUT IN A BOAT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET WET! DUH.

i know, absolute nightmare! there were some who were deliberately forming a line across the river so no one could get through! gonna have to start going in the mornings or evening to avoid them.
Reply 959
Original post by victoria13
i know, absolute nightmare! there were some who were deliberately forming a line across the river so no one could get through! gonna have to start going in the mornings or evening to avoid them.

Yep it's the only thing you can really do - avoid rowing during the daytime, especially on weekends, and even moreso on HOT weekends, it's crazy! The only good things are that you go a lot faster than them so can get away from them (and speed towards them to scare them) and your oars are bigger so you can give them a good whack from a distance, then speed off.

Though don't crash into them. Browns Boats are indestructible, and rowing boats are quite the opposite!

Quick Reply

Latest