The Student Room Group

Applying for Maths: Oxford or Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Iqbal007
few of my friends did and they 92% +

What did your friends do, sorry?

Yeah, you can still get rejected with 92%+ and you do still need good UMS scores, but it's not some magic benchmark that you must have around 95% under all circumstances to get in, is my point :smile: I didn't - I had an average of 96% in maths and 88% in further maths (mainly due to damned D1 and D2 :colonhash:).
Reply 61
Original post by kerily
What did your friends do, sorry?

Yeah, you can still get rejected with 92%+ and you do still need good UMS scores, but it's not some magic benchmark that you must have around 95% under all circumstances to get in, is my point :smile: I didn't - I had an average of 96% in maths and 88% in further maths (mainly due to damned D1 and D2 :colonhash:).

Archectiture.... apparently its very very competitive.....
btw you'll see my friend in your classes maybe... he got in but hes staying in Girton :/
Reply 62
Original post by Iqbal007
Archectiture.... apparently its very very competitive.....
btw you'll see my friend in your classes maybe... he got in but hes staying in Girton :/

Oh, architecture, medicine and law are all insane. The normal entrance advice doesn't apply for that sort of course. For maths, however, one needn't have godlike UMS - it's all about the STEP :emo:

I am highly doubting I'll get in (STEP! It's a total bitch of an exam) but congratulations to your friend nonetheless :smile:
Original post by anshul95
Not true. I think you have to look at the statistics and experience. For maths, I know for fact that there was a lot more competition - I forgotten the actual number as I have lost my feedback letter which had it but at my college which I applied to there were about 15-16 chasing 4 places. And considering roughly 40% are eliminated before getting an interview and thats a lot of people being rejected. I also remember an overall success rate for this year being about 18% or something like that so actually statistically speaking for maths it has harder to get an offer at oxford. But this is for maths and isn't necessarily true for all subjects.

Yes but admission statistics like the one you just mentioned don't take into account quality of applicant.

The quality of applicants applying at cambridge is generally a bit higher, (as they know the offer will be higher and the course is harder)

and therefore, an average applicant has a better chance of getting into Oxford than Cambridge.

Statistics mean nothing to the individual, but generally speaking Cambridge maths applicants are of a higher calibre, due to the reasons afore mentioned.
Reply 64
Original post by kerily
Oh, architecture, medicine and law are all insane. The normal entrance advice doesn't apply for that sort of course. For maths, however, one needn't have godlike UMS - it's all about the STEP :emo:

I am highly doubting I'll get in (STEP! It's a total bitch of an exam) but congratulations to your friend nonetheless :smile:

I know, but my mate got in for cambridge now he doesnt no whether to reject them or insult them by putting it as insurance eventho his firms gonna be a lower oofer loool

He finds STEP hard as well :s-smilie: he says these things then gets 100% ¬¬
Reply 65
Original post by marshmallowfudgecake
Yes but admission statistics like the one you just mentioned don't take into account quality of applicant.

The quality of applicants applying at cambridge is generally a bit higher, (as they know the offer will be higher and the course is harder)

and therefore, an average applicant has a better chance of getting into Oxford than Cambridge.

Statistics mean nothing to the individual, but generally speaking Cambridge maths applicants are of a higher calibre, due to the reasons afore mentioned.

So why is the course harder? Would you like to explain?
Reply 66

How can you know that? You're acting like this is something one can deduce from first principles. What you've said may be true, but there are all sorts of reasons why one might choose one university and course over another.
Reply 67

I can't see where you have deduced that. I don't think you can conclude that either. There are a thousand other things why you might consider Oxford over Cambridge. E.g. for me it was the course structure that put me off. Oxford's course seemed a lot more flexible. I also have some family that live nearby.

Quick Reply

Latest