The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Uni Halls 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey just wondering if anyone else got an email from the uni saying that a decision will be made by the 26th April?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Escocia
History.
I applied to the halls last weekend. You?

Thank you for your application for accommodation for session 2011/2012. We are pleased to confirm that your application has been allocated a Category A status.

what is category A means?

btw my first choice is QM and then victoria
Original post by RoseH
Is anyone applying to Victoria Hall?

i did
Reply 23
Original post by NightKings
Thank you for your application for accommodation for session 2011/2012. We are pleased to confirm that your application has been allocated a Category A status.

what is category A means?

btw my first choice is QM and then victoria

It's means you live outside Glasgow, and so will be higher up the accommodation list than people that do live in Glasgow.

I think QM is my third choice, after Wolfson.
Reply 24
Whoo got into Queen Margaret!
Just firmed Glasgow (with an unconditional) because I was waiting to hear back from all my choices.. I'm really wanting to get a single room in Cairncross halls and will apply as soon as I can - is it still possible do you think? If not my second choice would be Murano. I also live ~70 miles away.
Original post by cloudbusting
Just firmed Glasgow (with an unconditional) because I was waiting to hear back from all my choices.. I'm really wanting to get a single room in Cairncross halls and will apply as soon as I can - is it still possible do you think? If not my second choice would be Murano. I also live ~70 miles away.

I'm pretty sure that the Uni is garuanteed to give you accomodation if you live 25 miles out of the city so I'm sure you'll get somewhere. Also, both Murano and Cairncross are pretty big so I think you'd probably get somewhere (although possibly not a single room in CC)
Both halls are great places to be, so I shouldn't worry!
Murano gets a lot of bad rep, and while some of it certainly is due, some of it is grossly exaggerated. Sure, Maryhill/Ruchill is a ****hole without any qualifications. The facilities are ****ty. Everything's crowded. You share the loo.

But sod it, it's still the cheapest, and from my experience the people most prone to partying generally end up there, meaning you get the feeling that everyone knows each other. It's not that far from uni either. While I would never live in Murano again, I sure would never choose any other uni accomodation over it.

QM appears completely dead, from what I hear. I get the impression that a lot of people less interested in meeting new people end up there. Wolfson is hardly even in Glasgow, and is only really convenient if you're a Vet.
Yay got my Cairncross large room :biggrin: Anyone here going to the 10 hour beach party at hive? It'll be the death of me hah..
murano has more fun
I'm gonna be studying at the Uni of Glasgow next semester (I'm from Australia, so that would make it your first semester, my second) and I need to choose a Hall to live in.

I dont really know how they work, but I sort of understand that it's a flat-like system? I like being around lots of people, and i'm not really fond of quiet places. Distance to the uni isn't much of an issue, and id prefer self catered accommodation.

Also cost isn't an issue either. As far as I can see it's very cheap to what I pay here for college (what we call a Hall of Residence in Australia). It costs around $15000 for the year at my college :s-smilie:.

Any help would be so appreciated!
go for murano large flats, you'll have a good time
Original post by Super Collider

Original post by Super Collider
go for murano large flats, you'll have a good time

already did, took too long for someone to reply so took a punt lol
Reply 33
Got my offer for QM 2 months ago ! Paid the 400 quid .. :smile: can't wait ...
Reply 34
Original post by G550NDH

I've accepted and paid the £400 for QM too.

I'm taking Accounts next year. Nice sig btw. :wink:
Reply 35
Original post by G550NDH

hey, i finally got my offer for QM, didn't really expect it as i firmed Glasgow at the end of April :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by GoldenArab
I've accepted and paid the £400 for QM too.

I'm taking Accounts next year. Nice sig btw. :wink:

nice one mate ! Cool cool ... do you mean the glasgow bit or the arsenal bit ? :wink:

Original post by torchwood
hey, i finally got my offer for QM, didn't really expect it as i firmed Glasgow at the end of April :biggrin:

Ahh awesome mate ! Maybe il see you around QM halls ! :smile:
For everyone going to/hoping to move into Murano in September- GOOD CHOICE. I'm just about to move out, and honestly, I'm gutted. I have friends in QM , and from what I've heard they literally have no fun whatsoever.
Murano is a good balance- you can be in a smaller flat for peace and quiet, or a larger flat for a more party atmosphere. Basically, Murano is cheaper, much more fun, the same distance away from Uni as QM, and the only thing that's worse is that the buildings aren't as pretty. Who cares about what it looks like??
I hope everyone gets into Murano that wants to!!! I'm going to miss it soo so much.
Are the more 'up-market' accommodation places really dead for social life? e.g. Queen Margaret. I saw it and it looked nice, but SO quiet. Plus I think it's probably all filled up now.

What are Murano and Cairncross actually like? I want to be in the thick of the social life but really want a single room and can just about deal with sharing bathrooms. All part of the experience. Is it worth foregoing the 'niceties' of places like Victoria Hall for the vibe at Murano and Cairncross?

So psyched about Glasgow. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by alexandramarycatherine
For everyone going to/hoping to move into Murano in September- GOOD CHOICE.

Oh good! Coming from Australia I had absolutely NO IDEA what to choose. Glad to see it sounds like it's going to be fun :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending