The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
End of May. 4 exams in a row, 23rd to the 27th

Community course, Systems 1, Systems 2, OSPE, OSCE :rolleyes:

Ouch, man. :frown: How long are they?

You're feeling ok about them though aren't you?
Original post by cz100
All this talk of Scottish accents... I love Scottish accents :love:
But I'm not sure of applying to Scotland, just because of the talk that they are very territorial.

At the UCAS fair the Edinburgh guy said that they didn't give preference to Scots any more. :dontknow:

But Scottish accents are really sexy. So are Irish ones at that. :smile:
Original post by thegodofgod
Do you guys have like one exam for anatomy, one for biochemistry, one for physiology and that sorta stuff?

BTW - what's the difference between Irish and Scottish accents? I can never tell the difference between them :colondollar:

Well I have one for Respiratory and one for CVS. These are written papers consisting of physiology, pathology, pharmacology and symptoms etc for that system. We have a systems based course. Last term we did biochem, microbiology etc

Then an OSPE (Objective Structured Practical Exam for all you noobs) for anatomy. Basically you wander round with a question sheet identifying what 'x' is :tongue:

And the OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Exam) is where you go round doing life support, history taking, examination, hand washing etc with volunteer patients and examiners :smile:
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
At the UCAS fair the Edinburgh guy said that they didn't give preference to Scots any more. :dontknow:

But Scottish accents are really sexy. So are Irish ones at that. :smile:

They don't. Well at least not in any way that you can prove.

Load of conspiracy nonsense.
Well I have one for Respiratory and one for CVS. These are written papers consisting of physiology, pathology, pharmacology and symptoms etc for that system. We have a systems based course. Last term we did biochem, microbiology etc

Then an OSPE (Objective Structured Practical Exam for all you noobs) for anatomy. Basically you wander round with a question sheet identifying what 'x' is :tongue:

And the OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Exam) is where you go round doing life support, history taking, examination, hand washing etc with volunteer patients and examiners :smile:

hand washing? :lolwut:
hand washing? :lolwut:

Yep you can expect in every exam up until 5th year :biggrin: It's a serious business...you do not want to cross the infection control teams....
Hey all!! :smile: Hoping to apply for med for 2012 entry, so worried LOL!!

I was hoping if my GCSE's are any good enough:
7A*s, 3Bs ... AND A BIG FAT D!!! I'm scared the D might just bring me down. I got the Bs in History, RE and IT. Got the D in German (we didn't have a teacher for the whole second year due to teacher shortage!!)

Also, done some GP shadowing, got some hospital shadowing lined up for the summer hols, I've organised and led some fundraising, volunteered in a charity shop and in a few weeks about to start volunteering in a hospital helping patients. There's loads i can already talk about these stuff to put on my personal statement...
Predicted 4 As at AS Level ( in Bio, Chem, Maths & Phys)
Hoping to apply for KCL, Southampton, Nottingham and Barts...

Just hoping if someone could help me if I'm a good enough candidate, because i see people with enough A*s to blind someone that get rejected... btw, king's is my first choice :biggrin:
Reply 2187
Yeah it is a really nice place to be :smile: I mean there are grotty parts :s-smilie: But head out of pretty much any city here for 30 minutes then you are in perfect countryside :biggrin:

Edinburgh are helpful like that, they tell you what they want. I would seriously recommend considering applying north of the border :smile:

If I apply to Scotland it'll either be Aberdeen, Dundee or St Andrews. Ruled out Edinburgh after what they said, and definitely not Glasgow because of PBL. What teaching style do you have at Aberdeen? It looked brilliant in the Scottish university talk we had at our school
Reply 2188
Original post by gedungading
Hey all!! :smile: Hoping to apply for med for 2012 entry, so worried LOL!!

I was hoping if my GCSE's are any good enough:
7A*s, 3Bs ... AND A BIG FAT D!!! I'm scared the D might just bring me down. I got the Bs in History, RE and IT. Got the D in German (we didn't have a teacher for the whole second year due to teacher shortage!!)

Also, done some GP shadowing, got some hospital shadowing lined up for the summer hols, I've organised and led some fundraising, volunteered in a charity shop and in a few weeks about to start volunteering in a hospital helping patients. There's loads i can already talk about these stuff to put on my personal statement...
Predicted 4 As at AS Level ( in Bio, Chem, Maths & Phys)
Hoping to apply for KCL, Southampton, Nottingham and Barts...

Just hoping if someone could help me if I'm a good enough candidate, because i see people with enough A*s to blind someone that get rejected... btw, king's is my first choice :biggrin:

I'd say apply if your AS results are good (and they are based on your predictions). Only a few unis have requirements for GCSEs.
Original post by cz100
If I apply to Scotland it'll either be Aberdeen, Dundee or St Andrews. Ruled out Edinburgh after what they said, and definitely not Glasgow because of PBL. What teaching style do you have at Aberdeen? It looked brilliant in the Scottish university talk we had at our school

Fully integrated lecture based I suppose is the only way to describe it. Lots of lectures and tutorials covering the content. At least 2-4 hours of Clinical teaching from week 1. Working with everything from simulators, volunteer patients, and real patients on wards.

Anatomy, physiology is taught at the start of each system (practical prosection with a good rake around) and then pathophysiology and treatment.
Reply 2190
Fully integrated lecture based I suppose is the only way to describe it. Lots of lectures and tutorials covering the content. At least 2-4 hours of Clinical teaching from week 1. Working with everything from simulators, volunteer patients, and real patients on wards.

Anatomy, physiology is taught at the start of each system (practical prosection with a good rake around) and then pathophysiology and treatment.

Sounds nice :smile:
I really like traditional teaching but that's rare so I'd probably apply for integrated courses which'll help me rule some unis out at least. The Aberdeen facilities looked amazing in the presentations, but does it get very cold during Winter? And does it get badly affected by snow?

ps. loving the pink username :tongue:
They don't. Well at least not in any way that you can prove.

Load of conspiracy nonsense.

Poor Edinburgh, kinda mean thing to be accused of.

Btw, guys, I doubt this'll be relevant next year but Jon from Junior Docs is doing the post-offer open day thingies at Newcastle uni. :awesome:
Reply 2192
Poor Edinburgh, kinda mean thing to be accused of.

Btw, guys, I doubt this'll be relevant next year but Jon from Junior Docs is doing the post-offer open day thingies at Newcastle uni. :awesome:

Hardly anything is within travelling distance for me :sad:
Original post by cz100
Sounds nice :smile:
I really like traditional teaching but that's rare so I'd probably apply for integrated courses which'll help me rule some unis out at least. The Aberdeen facilities looked amazing in the presentations, but does it get very cold during Winter? And does it get badly affected by snow?

ps. loving the pink username :tongue:

The Suttie Centre is very nice and shiny. The first floor is the clinical skills centre kitted out just like a ward. Plus the fact that it is one of the few medical schools located across the road from Foresterhill. Second largest clinical site in Europe :tongue: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Royal Aberdeen Children's and the Maternity Hospital all 2 minutes walk away :biggrin:

Well yes it does get cold, and yes we get snow very bad. But I really wouldn't choose a uni based on either of those things :tongue: We're having beautiful weather atm, shorts and t-shirt weather :biggrin:
Original post by cz100
Hardly anything is within travelling distance for me :sad:

Oh yeah, you live in NI and have to get a flight for work exp, right? Oh noes. :frown: You thinking of applying to anywhere in NI?
Reply 2195
The Suttie Centre is very nice and shiny. The first floor is the clinical skills centre kitted out just like a ward. Plus the fact that it is one of the few medical schools located across the road from Foresterhill. Second largest clinical site in Europe :tongue: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Royal Aberdeen Children's and the Maternity Hospital all 2 minutes walk away :biggrin:

Well yes it does get cold, and yes we get snow very bad. But I really wouldn't choose a uni based on either of those things :tongue: We're having beautiful weather atm, shorts and t-shirt weather :biggrin:

It's the way our careers teacher says things, eg. if you don't want to be stuck on the bottom of a mountain by snow for a few months of the year, don't apply to Stirling etc. I don't really mind, I prefer colder winters than summers, weird. Do you know anything about Dundee?
Reply 2196
Oh yeah, you live in NI and have to get a flight for work exp, right? Oh noes. :frown: You thinking of applying to anywhere in NI?

Yea that's me :biggrin:
Lets see... anywhere in NI = Queen's for medicine, and most likely not. So many people here don't want to leave home and will apply to Queen's, the competition there is mad. And I don't want to stay at home, uni's about going somewhere new and I've been round Belfast enough. I don't really like the living area around the university very much.
Original post by cz100
It's the way our careers teacher says things, eg. if you don't want to be stuck on the bottom of a mountain by snow for a few months of the year, don't apply to Stirling etc. I don't really mind, I prefer colder winters than summers, weird. Do you know anything about Dundee?

Well in a normal year (excluding the past two winters :tongue:) Stirling probably wouldn't see a snowflake :rolleyes: It is nice here, you should come visit...that's the only way to know for sure.

Dundee is an excellent uni, especially for medicine. I was interviewed there, but withdrew my application later on.

Dundee the city has a reputation for being a bit shall we say unpleasant :rolleyes: But it really isn't any different to any other large city...good and bad :smile:
We're having beautiful weather atm, shorts and t-shirt weather :biggrin:

That must be rare in Scotland! :eek:
That must be rare in Scotland! :eek:

Grrrr no it isn't :tongue: It isn't that far north :mad: Aberdeen is usually very nice, it's just the wind that can be annoying. Though I did head south to uni so maybe I am biased :tongue: