The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FinnC
Woo, another Leeds-er =D I'm going for Henry Price, but I'm not bothered where I end up really :smile: Hopefully see you there :biggrin:

have u done japanese b4 btw?
Reply 581
So you're on your year abroad and then come across signs like these.

Then you get told that this is not against the law in Japan.

How will you react?
Reply 582
Original post by avila
So you're on your year abroad and then come across signs like these.

Then you get told that this is not against the law in Japan.

How will you react?

:frown: makes me sad seeing that.. But my optimism says they'll soon take them off with negotiations, coaxing and increasing foreign communities. Or else whatever, find another nicer place? :P
Reply 583
I'd threaten to blow the place up on twitter, then get arrested and put on trail :wink:

ehhh, I wouldn't go to those places as a preference, but if push comes to shove I'll test just how Japanese I look.
Reply 584
Hey.

Given that there aren't really any Japanese courses available for UCAS Extra and given that the courses have been described on here as "oversubscribed", are the chances of a brother getting onto the course via UCAS Clearing essentially nil? Throughout the year I've grown to despise the course I applied for (Physics) and wish I'd have sent out my Japanese Studies personal statement instead like I intended to. I'd absolutely love to do the course but I don't know if it is at all possible at this stage. I have an offer for Physics at Sheffield but while it feels like the right city, it definitely isn't the right course.

Apologies if this has been brought up already. The thread is thirty pages long and I wasn't about to read ALL of them... just most of them :smile:
Reply 585
Original post by LukeJMc
Given that there aren't really any Japanese courses available for UCAS Extra and given that the courses have been described on here as "oversubscribed", are the chances of a brother getting onto the course via UCAS Clearing essentially nil? Throughout the year I've grown to despise the course I applied for (Physics) and wish I'd have sent out my Japanese Studies personal statement instead like I intended to. I'd absolutely love to do the course but I don't know if it is at all possible at this stage. I have an offer for Physics at Sheffield but while it feels like the right city, it definitely isn't the right course.

Probably too late now. I understand your situation though; happened to me with Computer Science last April (second year at uni back then).

Sheffield does offer an institution-wide language programme, but sadly it doesn't include Japanese from what I saw (someone correct me if I am wrong).

You could ditch this years application cycle and do it over next year, but then you're losing out on the low fee lock-in. :s-smilie:

Maybe you can talk to Sheffield and switch to a XXXX + Japanese course after a year, or maybe do Japanese as a Masters programme after finishing Physics?
Reply 586
Original post by avila
Sheffield does offer an institution-wide language programme, but sadly it doesn't include Japanese from what I saw (someone correct me if I am wrong).

You seem to be right about that, unfortunately.

Original post by avila

You could ditch this years application cycle and do it over next year, but then you're losing out on the low fee lock-in. :s-smilie:

The fees would be the least of my worries. I've already taken one year out between my first and second years of sixth form for personal reasons. Another year here does not sound appetizing in the slightest.

Original post by avila

Maybe you can talk to Sheffield and switch to a XXXX + Japanese course after a year, or maybe do Japanese as a Masters programme after finishing Physics?

I certainly don't want to put myself through a Physics degree. As for the "XXXX + Japanese course", it's not looking entirely promising so far but I'll continue looking into it and if I find something I like, I'll be sure to get in touch with them.

As you can imagine, none of this is at all ideal, but thank you very much for the advice.
Reply 587
Original post by LukeJMc
Hey.

Apologies if this has been brought up already. The thread is thirty pages long and I wasn't about to read ALL of them... just most of them :smile:

Have you tried emailing the department and asking about switching? I've switched from Japanese to Korean Studies and all it took was an email :smile:

I don't know if the Japanese department is as flexible as the Korean one, but the Korean tutor told me that they had someone switch from Town Planning at the beginning of term last year.

In my opinion, I think you should email the department just to see if it is a possibility. After all, you don't know until you try :smile:
Reply 588
Original post by Fayzles
Have you tried emailing the department and asking about switching? I've switched from Japanese to Korean Studies and all it took was an email :smile:

I don't know if the Japanese department is as flexible as the Korean one, but the Korean tutor told me that they had someone switch from Town Planning at the beginning of term last year.

In my opinion, I think you should email the department just to see if it is a possibility. After all, you don't know until you try :smile:

That should really have been the first thing I did, lol. I guess it's worth a shot just on the off-chance that it might be a success. I'm not holding my breath though :P

Thanks for the advice and the story. Town Planning to Korean is quite the turn-around... :L
Original post by LukeJMc
That should really have been the first thing I did, lol. I guess it's worth a shot just on the off-chance that it might be a success. I'm not holding my breath though :P

Thanks for the advice and the story. Town Planning to Korean is quite the turn-around... :L

hey, saw ur situtation, i dont rly know what its like but i feel for you, hope you can do japanese in the end coz tbh its probs way more fun than physics haha :biggrin:
Original post by FinnC
Stalking somewhat, I have the same offers :smile: Firmed Leeds, Sheffield as insurance. Have you by any chance firmed Leeds? It'd be nice to know someone else on TSR was going for the same course as me xD

It was that way until I got an offer for Russian from Bristol, so I firmed that one matey. Sorry!
Reply 591
Who else is thinking of firming manchester
Reply 592
Original post by FinnC
Stalking somewhat, I have the same offers :smile: Firmed Leeds, Sheffield as insurance. Have you by any chance firmed Leeds? It'd be nice to know someone else on TSR was going for the same course as me xD

yhyh same... leeds firmed... sheff seconded
Reply 593
Original post by spekstaa
yhyh same... leeds firmed... sheff seconded

Awesome :biggrin: Hopefully see you there :smile:

Original post by Hunter_S_Thompson
It was that way until I got an offer for Russian from Bristol, so I firmed that one matey. Sorry!

Damn :smile: Ah well, hope it goes well for you :smile:
Reply 594
Japanese and Korean SOAS firm

Single Japanese SOAS Insurance

u mirin' brah? :awesome:
Reply 595
Original post by Ruadhan
Who else is thinking of firming manchester

I am pretty much set on Manchester. Just waiting for a reply from SOAS but I'm not very hopeful...:/
I got an automatic rejection cos they're so late but they said not to worry about it and tell them if I still want to be considered.
Reply 596
Original post by terujoan
I am pretty much set on Manchester. Just waiting for a reply from SOAS but I'm not very hopeful...:/
I got an automatic rejection cos they're so late but they said not to worry about it and tell them if I still want to be considered.

Yeah, I got an offer from Soas just a few days before the deadline. Im pretty definitely not gonna take it if this is the shoddy admin it has. I'm pretty much set on Manchester I guess then unless I change my mind within the next few days and decide to stay in Ireland. Have you applied for just Japanese single honour then??
And what accommodation are you thinking of in Manchester??
Reply 597
---
(edited 12 years ago)
Japanese Studies at Sheffield *firmed*!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 599
Original post by Digital_Love
Japanese Studies at Sheffield FIRMED

Good decision :wink:!

Join http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_163901023664195

Quick Reply

Latest