The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kammylove
Hey! I'm going to Manchester this year too! Will be doing law! What course will you be doing???
Oh and what's CAS?? Sorry if it's a stupid question! XD

HAHA, will be doing ac/finance...
Original post by Narev
Oh heck, one more piece of advice.

For guys and girls who have done some work experience before coming overseas, or guys who either have:

a) been a clerk in the SAF
b) been a commander

Don't let the experience / idea of: "Going to a foreign country / dealing with different people" suddenly make you forget what you've learnt.

If something is slow, email. If they give evasive replies, f* them upside down (tactfully). etc. If something you get told doesn't seem right according to website / seniors / contract, ask, ask, and ask. Be the irritating prick you've always wished to be, but couldn't in Singapore. I've had experiences when I've been told something by a F&B outlet here, which contradicted what seniors said. Chased it up to a manager and they ended up telling me that what I thought was correct - apparently (in my opinion), they wanted students to spend more money, and purposely (?) didn't tell them there's a cheaper alternative. Also have friends dealing with (private) landlords who don't give them inventory, and then claim things are missing (but luckily this landlord was found to have not been paying taxes, so was fined instead, and stopped harassing students).

Just because it's the UK, doesn't mean it's not like Singapore where such things happen. In fact, you know in Singapore where there are unscrupulous people taking advantage of PRC and Bangladeshis because they don't understand English? It also happens in the UK, and the advantage is, (presumably), you know English, so you have the upper hand.

And also don't believe statements like:

If the coalition government in power in the United Kingdom now works well for the country, an alliance between two Opposition parties in Singapore could work just as well, said Reform Party (RP) chief Kenneth Jeyaretnam.

i love this post :biggrin:
i give the SAF credit for teaching me the part in bold.

anyway does anyone know which universities are good for computer engineering or its equivalent? or even EEE, since UK colleges seem to offer either computer science or electrical and electronic engineering which isn't really what i want exactly. im confused with practically every university league table ranking the universities differently :confused:
Reply 2422
Original post by introverted

anyway does anyone know which universities are good for computer engineering or its equivalent? or even EEE, since UK colleges seem to offer either computer science or electrical and electronic engineering which isn't really what i want exactly. im confused with practically every university league table ranking the universities differently :confused:

I can't help with computer engineering/EEE (I'm going to be doing History), but in my experience in looking for unis, look for the ones that keep on coming up in the different rankings, then look at their programmes/teaching methods/etc to see which ones appeal to you.
Original post by monchouchou
Thanks! I guess I should email the local office around the start of may, then. They said CAS will be sent out around this time so hopefully I'd have the letter too. I believe the letter is necessary for visa application? S: I have already applied for accommodation and everything!

I guess so. Wew, so fast. I havent done anything to do with my uni yet haha
Reply 2424
Original post by introverted
i love this post :biggrin:
i give the SAF credit for teaching me the part in bold.

In some sense, real life is SAF part 2. Or University life :P
Original post by adidas1989
HAHA, will be doing ac/finance...

Nice I might be heading to Manchester to do A&F too! It's going to be my insurance choice. Which one are are you gonna do? The BA(Econs) or the BSc?
Original post by sharkabamboo
Nice I might be heading to Manchester to do A&F too! It's going to be my insurance choice. Which one are are you gonna do? The BA(Econs) or the BSc?

BA! haha... cuz it has more modules that interest me. Would be great to see you around this sept!!
Reply 2427
hello guys, I am considering applying for UK unis and i was wondering i stand a chance for Warwick/KCL/UCL's Economics~Mathematics courses and Warwick's Business Course. I took a levels last year and got BBB (math econs phys) and CSB (chem gp pw). I have contacted warwick and they told me that as i obtained a2 for english for O'levels, i do not have to take any language tests. However, i am not sure about KCL and UCL..
Original post by adidas1989
BA! haha... cuz it has more modules that interest me. Would be great to see you around this sept!!

Nice, I'm doing BA too.
Reply 2429
Original post by Klearcut
hello guys, I am considering applying for UK unis and i was wondering i stand a chance for Warwick/KCL/UCL's Economics~Mathematics courses and Warwick's Business Course. I took a levels last year and got BBB (math econs phys) and CSB (chem gp pw). I have contacted warwick and they told me that as i obtained a2 for english for O'levels, i do not have to take any language tests. However, i am not sure about KCL and UCL..

BBB is not possible for econs :frown: i have a friend with ABB who was recently rejected by warwick for econs. i'm not very sure for maths/business courses though! but goodluck with your apps :wink:
Reply 2430
Original post by sugarsop
BBB is not possible for econs :frown: i have a friend with ABB who was recently rejected by warwick for econs. i'm not very sure for maths/business courses though! but goodluck with your apps :wink:

Hi there, thanks for replying. Yea, Warwick replied my email and said that they are looking at AAB for economics and business courses but i was wondering whether i can still stand a chance if i have a good PS and recommendation. Just not so sure how they assess these sections and in what proportions :/
Reply 2431
Original post by Klearcut
Hi there, thanks for replying. Yea, Warwick replied my email and said that they are looking at AAB for economics and business courses but i was wondering whether i can still stand a chance if i have a good PS and recommendation. Just not so sure how they assess these sections and in what proportions :/

Well I reckon your personal statement and recommendation is really important.
I got ABB but I still got into Warwick law (That's assuming their law school is as highly esteemed as their business school)
Reply 2432
Hi everyone!
I've been studying in the University of Sunderland - Ba(Hons) Media Production ( Television and Radio ) and am going to graduate this July 2011. Whilst in the midst of my dissertation, I'm also looking to apply for my MA in Radio. Either in University of Sunderland, Birmingham city university, Bournemouth university or Goldsmiths, University of London.

Can someone tell me which university if better for it? And, is anyone looking to apply to any of these universities? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :biggrin:
hi, any recommendations for accomodation in london? I'm likely going to kings. and heard that the international hall is recommended.

any other places you'd recommend?
Reply 2434
Hi guys.

I've got an offer from Bristol in this years cycle (2011) but with a gap year, meaning I'll enter in 2012.

However, I intend to apply to KCL in the 2012 cycle as I left it out this year.
Is it possible to hold on to the Bristol place yet make an application in the 2012 cycle (w/o taking a gap year) ?

I've read from around here that it is not allowed to have two active ucas 'profiles' at a time but does that apply within one cycle or does it still apply even if I'm applying in two different years?

Thanks!
Reply 2435
Hey! I'm going to Manchester this year too! Will be doing law!

Hey! I'm headed there for law too!
Original post by nat898
Hey! I'm headed there for law too!

Cool! have u applied for accommodation yet??
Reply 2437
Cool! have u applied for accommodation yet??

Nope, waiting for some friends before finalising it. i've already decided on ashburne hall and richmond park but cant think of a 3rd. you?
Hi, anyone applied to hertfordshire? i haven't receive my confirmation letter :'( it has been near 2 months..
Reply 2439
Original post by bellameow

Original post by bellameow
Hi, anyone applied to hertfordshire? i haven't receive my confirmation letter :'( it has been near 2 months..

you might want to contact your university and see if they do sent confirmation letter by post or email.

UOS for example sends the CAS no. via email.

Quick Reply

Latest