The Student Room Group

WBS or Cass?

Hi all..

I'm a new comer to this awesome forum, and I have some serious issues to seek advice from you guys....T__T

My career interest is always with finance, and I have 2 years' full-time work experience with PwC China firm. I'm currently applying for MSc programs in UK to pursue a deeper academic approach, and I have received 2 offers:-

1. Warwick Business School - MSc Business Analytics and Consulting;
2. Cass Business School - MSc Investment Management.

If I ever wanna find a job in IB or consultancy firm, which of the above 2 programs will add more edge in my profile?

WBS is always highly ranked amongst employers, but the program I got is quite not so related to finance...

The program from Cass is quite well set for finance-oriented students.......but Cass seems not as well-known as WBS...will the reputation of university have great impact on your future job hunting?

Really need you guys' opinions on the choices!!!! Thanks a million in advance@!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Warwick Business School has more rep and the MSc Business Analytics and Consulting at Warwick is a top feeder program for IB and MC.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Warwick Business School has more rep and the MSc Business Analytics and Consulting at Warwick is a top feeder program for IB and MC.

REALLY?! i just doubt that WBS is quite remote compared to that of Cass..will it be a great disadvantage to look for jobs in terms of locations?

may i ask if u grad from wbs?
Reply 3
Where you study your MSc means a lot. Personally I would choose the one at WBS - You can always get involved in other things to show your dedication to IB then move into it - depending on what side of IB you want to go into.
Original post by midnightL
Where you study your MSc means a lot. Personally I would choose the one at WBS - You can always get involved in other things to show your dedication to IB then move into it - depending on what side of IB you want to go into.

hi !!
i have an offer for msc management from cass as well as imperial business school, which b school would you recommend? please help
Reply 5
Original post by midnightL

I have full time work experience with PwC, so I suppose working in the middle office of an IB as industry or financial analyst would be more suitable for me...meanwhile, do u think that the MSc business anlytics and consulting with WBS is not so relevant to IB business? I may not learn as much on a finance basis as that in Cass....
cass over warwick....the course in warwick is irrelevant to finance...and cass offers the London advantage
Reply 7
Original post by noodlesandsoup
cass over warwick....the course in warwick is irrelevant to finance...and cass offers the London advantage

I know...but do u think that the reputation of Cass would not add me any edge over wbs in the job market>?
Original post by matthew1029
I know...but do u think that the reputation of Cass would not add me any edge over wbs in the job market>?

Cass has a very good reputation for finance in the city...I am going there myself in september to start MSc Finance, been to visit the school and its very nice and the have an amazing career service...I really like the location too right it the city...makes you motivated...
Reply 9
Cass has a very good reputation for finance in the city...I am going there myself in september to start MSc Finance, been to visit the school and its very nice and the have an amazing career service...I really like the location too right it the city...makes you motivated...

Wow! Excellent! Are there many corporate presentations on campus? Ppl always say that Cass has good corporate relations...how do u think? Professionals from the ibank to throw lectures? More interactions/internship opportunities with big corp? Is it possible to for Cass graduates to compete against those from lse/imperial/lbs? I'm intending to look for employment right after arrival this october...any tips u may share?
Reply 10
Wow! Excellent! Are there many corporate presentations on campus? Ppl always say that Cass has good corporate relations...how do u think? Professionals from the ibank to throw lectures? More interactions/internship opportunities with big corp? Is it possible to for Cass graduates to compete against those from lse/imperial/lbs? I'm intending to look for employment right after arrival this october...any tips u may share?

Yeh they do have excellent links to practitioners from all sectors really.

Warwick's location is a disadvantage for networking but they have big careers fairs that all the top employers go to. WBS has an excellent reputation but Cass isn't far behind.

To be honest, there's not much in it. Neither are really the best to get into IB but you'll have a decent shot from both. Did you not apply to their Msc Finance or other such courses? I know very little about the actual course content so take a look and go for the one that you're most interested in.
Reply 11
Actually WBS/Imperial/LSE/Oxford/Camebdrige are main target universities so you have more than a decent shot at IB. Not sure about this MSc course though as I am not familiar with it but it shoulden't really matter. Cass is abit further behind and although it dosen't really matter in terms of getting into IB, it should be noted that the InvMgmt course is mainly focused on the buy-side (obviously), and if this is one of your main interests the perhaps that course is the best fit for you?

Although wbs reputation is somewhat more established than Cass, you cant base your decision soley on this, as you will be paying top-dollar for both courses and you will devote a lot of time studying whatever subject - so dont forget what you want in terms of the education.

You will still need a good undergrad to be considered for most Jobs..Cass or Warwick will definitely make some one look twice at your application form. But you will need other things like experience and extra curricular activities. Warwick 's location is not great but it is still near to London..If you had gotten in for the MSc finance course then I might have advised you go to Warwick but the course you have is not relevant to finance and therefore not able to compete with your offer in Cass (also are you ready to do a course not related to what you want to do, you may find it boring). Yes all the big banks go to Cass and Warwick but there are other networking events these banks run at their offices in London and Cass location makes it easy for you to attend.

On this forum people are generally negative about Cass(for some reason mostly because they can't get over the fact that it is part of city university) however employers consider the Masters courses as excellent and financial times ranks the Business School as a top school in Europe. If you follow this forum one would advise you to study even MSc in Dance at e.g Imperial ( just a wild example to show my point lol) over MSc Finance at Cass to get into IB. People here cant get over the fact that its a top business school even though its part of city university. Look at the profile of the professors (they are all very qualified with experience in the industry and academia), go on linkedin and look at profiles of some of the Alumni. Personally I am from a Top 10 university in the UK and initially was resisting Cass because of the City Uni issue. But after I got rejected from LSE I decided I have my udergraduate anyway, and the people I will be applying to Know how good Cass is and know that its not the same as all city university courses. The excellent location I could not over look too. I will be going to Cass again in June for the "friends of cass event" they are giving two different lectures to offers holders (we get to choose from options) there will also be a talk by the careers service on how to prepare for jobs applications during the summer before the MSc starts.

Sample of a finance lecturers at CASS: http://bunhill.city.ac.uk/research/cassexperts.nsf/(smarturl)/S.Moeller

http://bunhill.city.ac.uk/research/cassexperts.nsf/All/14E6EE2182430F0580257535005D01CC?OpenDocument

Most graduate deadlines are in November, so this means right from the start of the course you would actively be looking for jobs!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
You will still need a good undergrad to be considered for most Jobs..Cass or Warwick will definitely make some one look twice at your application form. But you will need other things like experience and extra curricular activities. Warwick 's location is not great but it is still near to London..If you had gotten in for the MSc finance course then I might have advised you go to Warwick but the course you have is not relevant to finance and therefore not able to compete with your offer in Cass (also are you ready to do a course not related to what you want to do, you may find it boring). Yes all the big banks go to Cass and Warwick but there are other networking events these banks run at their offices in London and Cass location makes it easy for you to attend.

On this forum people are generally negative about Cass(for some reason mostly because they can't get over the fact that it is part of city university) however employers consider the Masters courses as excellent and financial times ranks the Business School as a top school in Europe. If you follow this forum one would advise you to study even MSc in Dance at e.g Imperial ( just a wild example to show my point lol) over MSc Finance at Cass to get into IB. People here cant get over the fact that its a top business school even though its part of city university. Look at the profile of the professors (they are all very qualified with experience in the industry and academia), go on linkedin and look at profiles of some of the Alumni. Personally I am from a Top 10 university in the UK and initially was resisting Cass because of the City Uni issue. But after I got rejected from LSE I decided I have my udergraduate anyway, and the people I will be applying to Know how good Cass is and know that its not the same as all city university courses. The excellent location I could not over look too. I will be going to Cass again in June for the "friends of cass event" they are giving two different lectures to offers holders (we get to choose from options) there will also be a talk by the careers service on how to prepare for jobs applications during the summer before the MSc starts.

Sample of a finance lecturers at CASS: http://bunhill.city.ac.uk/research/cassexperts.nsf/(smarturl)/S.Moeller

http://bunhill.city.ac.uk/research/cassexperts.nsf/All/14E6EE2182430F0580257535005D01CC?OpenDocument

Most graduate deadlines are in November, so this means right from the start of the course you would actively be looking for jobs!

Sound advice.
Reply 14

thanks for your sound advice....you make a good point here about the bias the ppl in this forum may have against Cass...

R u from the EU countries or local English? Why do you think Cass's tuition fees are higher than even that of LSE?
thanks for your sound advice....you make a good point here about the bias the ppl in this forum may have against Cass...

R u from the EU countries or local English? Why do you think Cass's tuition fees are higher than even that of LSE?

hello I am not from the UK im international....Cass is not more expensive than LSE for MSc Finance LSE is £25000 and Cass is £21500, Imperial MSc finance is £27500...lol I don' t really know the price of other courses...

well maybe Cass spends a lot of money in poaching lecturers from other business schools, high salary to lecturers. The MSc Finance courses in the UK in target schools are expensive also cause there is high demand, the schools are sure they will get a full class even-though they charge that high.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
I think the reason why alot of people advice Warwick in favor of Cass is because Warwick has a more established reputation, probably because Cass didn't start to place high in the rankings untill rather recently.

Furthermore, alot of people currently in FO IB (as an example) have attended the classic target unis such as LSE/Warwick/Camebridge/Imperial/Oxford which inevitably makes the persons interviewing you sort of biased (you always have something in common with a candidate who went to the same uni as you did).

On a third note, the classic target unis are more exclusive than Cass (Cass offers A TON of Masters related to finance) and I know from own experience that it's easier to be offered a place there than LSE/Warwick/Imperial/Oxbridge. I have a few people from my current undergraduate class who were denied a place at the classic unis but almost all of them were offered a place at Cass, across courses (mainly Msc Finance, MSc Investment mgmt, and Int. Banking and Finance).

Finally I have had an internship in IB in London and been to quite a few interviews (AC) and the center is always packed with ppl from the classic unis and I have rarely encountered anyone from Cass. Not saying I haven't but the percentage is not in favour of Cass. Although take this with a grain of salt, this is merely my own experience and does not necessarily represent the overal population.

Nothing of the above says anything about the quality of the course though, and I am sure Cass is an excellent school. It has a more practial approach to teaching than the conventional academic type of teaching. If this is your cup of tea and the course interest you, then go for it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by suede
I think the reason why alot of people advice Warwick in favor of Cass is because Warwick has a more established reputation, probably because Cass didn't start to place high in the rankings untill rather recently.

Furthermore, alot of people currently in FO IB (as an example) have attended the classic target unis such as LSE/Warwick/Camebridge/Imperial/Oxford which inevitably makes the persons interviewing you sort of biased (you always have something in common with a candidate who went to the same uni as you did).

On a third note, the classic target unis are more exclusive than Cass (Cass offers A TON of Masters related to finance) and I know from own experience that it's easier to be offered a place there than LSE/Warwick/Imperial/Oxbridge. I have a few people from my current undergraduate class who were denied a place at the classic unis but almost all of them were offered a place at Cass, across courses (mainly Msc Finance, MSc Investment mgmt, and Int. Banking and Finance).

Finally I have had an internship in IB in London and been to quite a few interviews (AC) and the center is always packed with ppl from the classic unis and I have rarely encountered anyone from Cass. Not saying I haven't but the percentage is not in favour of Cass. Although take this with a grain of salt, this is merely my own experience and does not necessarily represent the overal population.

Nothing of the above says anything about the quality of the course though, and I am sure Cass is an excellent school. It has a more practial approach to teaching than the conventional academic type of teaching. If this is your cup of tea and the course interest you, then go for it.

all you are saying is valid.. especially for undergraduate in FO/ IB jobs there are mostly classic uni intakes etc .and it may not be a plus that cass gives more grad offers...for those students to have applied to LSE, warwick and they rest it means they thought they were qualified enough...so it may not be that cass offers places to poor graduates it just means the have more spaces since they offer a variety of courses...
The OP's offer in warwick is for business consulting thats the main problem

http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/investment-banking (nice read on the investment banking industry) worth looking at the target unis section and academic requirement
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Excellent link noodles! Just want to, once again, underline that my experience regarding assesment centers does not represent the whole candidate population, but merely my own experience.

Yeah I know I was drifting off a bit by dragging in FO IB - obviously not everyone wants to get in to IB but I was merely trying to explain why I think people keep advicing Warwick in favor of Cass.

I myself applied to both Imperial/Warwick/Cass which a lot of other people in my class did (I am an international student by the way), and I am amongst the few who actually received offers from all 3 business schools whilst alot of people with B or C-average (Think this is the UK equivalent of a strong 2:2 (C) and 2:1 (B)) were offered places at Cass. Again, I do not know how the application process works at Cass, and this is not necessarily a bad thing, but I can only speak from my own experience, or it would be all guesses alas completely worthless.

I hold a first and my conditional offers (I graduate in in 3 weeks) were as follows:
Imperial: 2:1 (B)
Cass: 2:1 (B)
Warwick: 1:1 (A)

Again I would like to underline that this is for Finance, and not business consulting.

Ultimately, both WBS and Cass are excellent business schools and you cant go wrong with either one. I would recommend the programme that fits your interest as you will be studying the subject, paying the tuition fee, and have the course as a major part of your everyday life for a year.

Good Luck
Reply 19
Original post by Mr. Roxas

Where did you get this from? I can understand the MC, but IB?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending