The Student Room Group
Not really, Hitler defined his version or aryan as he pleased, which was white skin, blonde hair, blue eyes. He wasn't interested in the scientifically accepted, anthropological definition of 'aryan'.
Reply 2
Original post by Banu_Hashim
Not really, Hitler defined his version or aryan as he pleased, which was white skin, blonde hair, blue eyes. He wasn't interested in the scientifically accepted, anthropological definition of 'aryan'.

^ what he said.
Reply 3
Hitler would welcome Aryan Jews, just not commie Jews.
I though he made it clear he only liked the Swedish version of Aryan?
I dont think so, he only accepted his only definition of 'Aryan' race.

He was a freak remember?
Reply 6
Iran, Iraq, Indian revolutionaries, and some Afghans actually threw in their support for Hitler. Not because they agreed with him, but because Hitler was fighting their enemies.

Hitler was a crazy, stupid fanatic, but he was also known to show spots of pragmatism. He granted the Japanese the title of "Honorary Aryans" and the Nazis even invaded British Iraq claiming to liberate the "superior Arab race" from "Imperialist oppression".

I don't hold it against them for "allying" with Hitler. During those dark years, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" was the only way to survive. We allied with a genocidal monster (Stalin) to stop an even worse genocidal monster.
I didn't know Indians and Pakistanis were considered Aryan. My perception of 'Aryan' has always been white, blue eyes, and blonde hair.

Live and learn, I suppose.
Reply 8
Seeing as their from places outside of Europe, I highly doubt it. Hitler focused manly on European Aryans; in his world view, everyone else should either be exterminated, or be slaves.
Reply 9
Original post by Ramox3
As you may know, ethnicities such as...Pakistanis, Indians, Afghanis fit into the " Aryan race" concept

Not really. Originally some of them may have been descended from the ancient Iranians, but unlike Iranians (who have retained their "Aryan identity"), Pakistanis, Indians etc have become their own ethnic conglomerate and really don't share much with the original Aryans of Greater Iran.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2009-09-25/india/28107253_1_incidence-of-genetic-diseases-indians-tribes

Hitler's definition of the word Aryan was totally incorrect and largely an excuse for him to kill anyone who didn't fit into his racist and discriminatory view of society, it wasn't based on history or science.

Original post by SchadenfreudeDude
I didn't know Indians and Pakistanis were considered Aryan. My perception of 'Aryan' has always been white, blue eyes, and blonde hair.

Live and learn, I suppose.

They're not. Aryans were the original residents of ancient Iran. The Persian people are the closest living race to the ancient Aryans, this blue eyed, blond haired stuff is just Nazi nonsense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Democracy
Not really. Originally some of them may have been descended from the ancient Iranians, but unlike Iranians (who have retained their "Aryan identity"), Pakistanis, Indians etc have become their own ethnic conglomerate and really don't share much with the original Aryans of Greater Iran.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2009-09-25/india/28107253_1_incidence-of-genetic-diseases-indians-tribes

Hitler's definition of the word Aryan was totally incorrect and largely an excuse for him to kill anyone who didn't fit into his racist and discriminatory view of society, it wasn't based on history or science.

They're not. Aryans were the original residents of ancient Iran. The Persian people are the closest living race to the ancient Aryans, this blue eyed, blond haired stuff is just Nazi nonsense.

The term Aryan was a term FIRST used in the Indian vedas. All Aryan means is "gentleman race" and was used to describe the brahmins along with Lord Krishna ect. The only time I heard Iranians being called aryan are tribes that setlled down in Iran. And Aryan Indians were not descendants of ancient Iranians? They had a fully functional Indus valley civilisation.

This is just typical Persian nonsense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by J DOT A
The only time I heard Iranians being called aryan are tribes that setlled down in Iran.

No way! Couldn't be that Iran means "land of the Aryans" could it? :wink:

And Aryan Indians were not descendants of ancient Iranians? They had a fully functional Indus valley civilisation.

No, I realise that, I'm just saying that the Pakistanis and Indians who today claim to be "Aryans" may have had some sort of Aryan (i.e. ancient Persian) ancestry generations ago, but like you've correctly pointed out, and as I said, they are "their own ethnic conglomerate".

This is just typical Persian nonsense.

Right :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by Democracy
No way! Couldn't be that Iran means "land of the Aryans" could it? :wink:

No, I realise that, I'm just saying that the Pakistanis and Indians who today claim to be "Aryans" may have had some sort of Aryan (i.e. ancient Persian) ancestry generations ago, but like you've correctly pointed out, and as I said, they are "their own ethnic conglomerate".

Right :rolleyes:

Aryans are not Ancient Persians. And yeah I realise Iran means "land of the Aryans" after Reza Shah so convinently renamed Persia due to his fasicnation (more like worship) with everything Hitler.
At the end of the day, I really couldn't give a **** if mordern day Indians or Pakistanis or Afghanis should be classed as Aryan as we are humans at the end of the day. However it really pisses me off when Persians say they originate from Aryans, when really it was the Indians that came up with the word and used the whole idea along time before any persian.
Aryan is such a cool word :coma:
Original post by J DOT A
Aryans are not Ancient Persians. And yeah I realise Iran means "land of the Aryans" after Reza Shah so convinently renamed Persia due to his fasicnation (more like worship) with everything Hitler.

What do you smoke?

There is no such word as "Persia" in our language. Iranians have always called their land "Iran", the change had nothing to do with Hitler and everything to do with Iranian nationalism.

The only people who have ever called Iran "Persia" are Westerners. Reza Shah just got them to call the land by what it has always been called by its own people, i.e. "Iran".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Unless they were blonde haired and blue-eyed, no.
Reply 16
Original post by Ramox3
As you may know, ethnicities such as Iranian, Pakistanis, Indians, Afghanis fit into the " Aryan race" concept as opposed to Semites such as Jews and Arabs.
So I was wandering how would an Aryan from Asia be viewed in Nazi Germany? Considering that most Aryans from Asia don't fit the "Nordic Master Race" appearance ..

Indians are only 'Aryan' if you accept the Out Of India theory of Indo-European migration, which even in Hitler's time had been thoroughly debunked. Today this theory is the sole preserve of Hindu fundamentalists and associated crackpots (just not Nazi crackpots).

As far as I am aware, the Nazi party accepted the theories of the Indologists of the time, that the 'Aryan' people had originated somewhere between Iran and the Caucasus, moving both westwards into Europe through the Urals, and eastwards into India through the Hindu Kush region, where they conquered and subjugated the indigenous people.

As far as Hitler's personal opinions, Wikipedia informs me that he considered Hindu culture to be Aryan in origin, but believed it had degenerated due to the intermingling of Aryans and the indigenous Dravidians. Regarding Iranians, he considered them to be Aryan. I think he would have been happy for them to remain in their own country.

On the subject of Islam, the only statements I've ever seen from Hitler were positive, he admired the militant spirit that it inspired in its followers. There was even an SS unit with Muslim soldiers from Bosnia or somewhere.
Reply 17
If anyone is interested in finding more out about Nazi propaganda, I found this archive: http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/

It's organised according to the topic and context. Additionally there's communist propaganda from East Germany, which makes for an interesting comparison.
Iranian arent aryan you are mixed with semetic, real aryan is pakistani, afghani, north-west indians (Punjabis, Himachalis) Tajiks. Only iranian which are aryan are baluchis and khorasanis. You west iranians have nothing to do with us, you are same as iraqis.
No.

Aryan refers to the Persian peoples and always has done

The reason Hitler refers to his people as "Aryan" was because the ancient civilizations of the Iranian peoples, were far more advanced than those of Germany and he hated this idea since it spat in the face of his claim of ethnic superiority. The Nazi reponse was essentially to rewrite history; the Nazis claimed that it was the Germanic race who actually build the ancient Persian civilization and that they simply migrated to Europe later, to rationalise these two conflicting ideas. Hence referring to themselves as "Aryan".
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest