The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Applicants Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yaredabestan
Is there anyone else who's still waiting to hear from the Physics Dept?

I'm wondering why they don't reject me straightaway, instead of delaying all my application process :-/
If only I was sure I'm going to be unsuccessful, I'd withdraw my application... but who knows?

No, seriously, does anyone know?

Phone them up. I got my offer in November and I think they've done all of their physics open days. Chances are it's an admin error (it's been known to happen) and they've forgotten about you. I'm sure if you phone them and ask them your offer will come through. Good luck!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Bucko2008
I'm a final year Economics student. I have been very disappointed by my academic experience and most people on my course agree. While Warwick campus is absolutely fantastic, the Economics undergraduate course is poor.

Across my 3 years, I have probably averaged 9 hours a week of lectures/seminars. Seminars (small classes) are far too infrequent, and they are often done with large classes of 15-20 students. When compared to other science departments like maths, physics and chemistry (because after all, Economics at Warwick is very scientific/mathematical) which average 20 hours + a week, it is very disappointing. It is great for lie-ins, but one of the things I enjoy about learning is interactivity discussion, but it is practically non-existent.

PhD students that take the small classes often have insufficient skills in spoken English to provide a satifactory level of teaching in my opinion.

There are a couple of enthusiastic lecturers, which is a breath of fresh air, but this is the exception not the norm.

If you are looking for great employability, then the course is perfect because it has a great reputation. If you are looking for an experience that will add genuine academic interest and actual skills then look elsewhere.

Oh dear. Can't say you've made me terribly optimistic :s-smilie:
The student satisfaction rates are 83% though....although the assessment and feedback section is generally rather poor.....Hopefully things will get better when they milk the new students for cash :biggrin:
Where are you thinking of going after you leave anyway?
Original post by 24craigour
Oh dear. Can't say you've made me terribly optimistic :s-smilie:
The student satisfaction rates are 83% though....although the assessment and feedback section is generally rather poor.....Hopefully things will get better when they milk the new students for cash :biggrin:
Where are you thinking of going after you leave anyway?

I don't understand the student satisfaction scores for previous years.

At the beginning of my final year, we had an induction meeting with one of the department leaders. Although it was somewhat "banterous", he encouraged us to score the department highly in the national student survey as it effects our employment prospects.

To counter this, I've been encouraging students to express their views genuinely, although I'm not sure how successful that will be.

The national student survey is filled in towards the end of the degree. I think people that are completely fed up with the course often cannot be bothered to fill it in because they think it won't change anything.

At the end of the day it is partly what you make of it. The facilities are excellent and there is a great work ethic amongst Warwick students from all departments. I've worked very hard throughout my time here, I just feel I haven't developed the skills of critical thinking I had hoped, and contrary to how people say "A-levels are all about becoming good at exams" I've found university to be even more of training camp in how to take exams.

The experience of the university as a whole is phenomenol though. The atmosphere on campus is incredible, with so many people of similar interests living so close together.
Original post by JayTeeKay
Phone them up. I got my offer in November and I think they've done all of their physics open days. Chances are it's an admin error (it's been known to happen) and they've forgotten about you. I'm sure if you phone them and ask them your offer will come through. Good luck!

I did! They said my application is actually still under consideration and that they know the deadline is approaching and not to worry...
:s-smilie:

Anyway thank you for the suggestion!
I did! They said my application is actually still under consideration and that they know the deadline is approaching and not to worry...
:s-smilie:

Anyway thank you for the suggestion!

Ah. Thats not very fair! I hope you get your offer through though. Good luck! Do you have offers from anywhere else?
I have a question:

is doing the MSc Management for Business Excellence at the WMG (Warwick Manufacturing Group) equal to MSc Management at Warwick Business School from a prestigious standpoint? I would like to enter Investment Banking and therefor would like to know whether you stand a chance with the MSc Management for Business Excellence from WMG.
Reply 2446
Original post by Mickeydee
I have a question:

is doing the MSc Management for Business Excellence at the WMG (Warwick Manufacturing Group) equal to MSc Management at Warwick Business School from a prestigious standpoint? I would like to enter Investment Banking and therefor would like to know whether you stand a chance with the MSc Management for Business Excellence from WMG.

The reputation of WMG is increasing but its still quite new as it split off from the engineering department. At the end of the day the business schools reputation for teaching a business focused subject and with your intention of entering investment banking rather than something to do with manufactor is probably going to be better, especially as the business school has an extremely good reputation. It will still be good but you will need to make sure you have a good answer at interviews if they ask you why you choose to go to WMG to do that course rather than to the business school itself.
Original post by Greg1989
The reputation of WMG is increasing but its still quite new as it split off from the engineering department. At the end of the day the business schools reputation for teaching a business focused subject and with your intention of entering investment banking rather than something to do with manufactor is probably going to be better, especially as the business school has an extremely good reputation. It will still be good but you will need to make sure you have a good answer at interviews if they ask you why you choose to go to WMG to do that course rather than to the business school itself.

So you would prefer Durham Business School with MA Financial Management rather than Warwick's WMG course? I know quite a few people who entered IB from LSE with non related finance master degrees.
Ah. Thats not very fair! I hope you get your offer through though. Good luck! Do you have offers from anywhere else?

Thank you again :tongue:
I've got conditionals from Imperial (but it's quite unachievable and I don't really like it there), Durham and Lancaster... got rejected by St. Andrews :colondollar:
What about you? :smile:
Reply 2449
Original post by Mickeydee
So you would prefer Durham Business School with MA Financial Management rather than Warwick's WMG course? I know quite a few people who entered IB from LSE with non related finance master degrees.

Before I was referring to warwick business school as thats what you mentioned but given the choice between the two courses I do think that one at an actual business school would be better as it helps demonstrate continued interest in that area through out your academics, although my knowledge of durham business school is significantly less than warwick's. Of course people have entered with non finance related things, I know people in the area who have and some who havent, do you know more about where exactly you want to work? some prefer you to be non related so you are more of a blank slate in the area, where as others prefer you to have demonstrated interest in it in your academics and other activities which I think a business school demonstrates more than a WMG course does, especially as I say its a relatively new department and so although it has a good reputation it continues to build employers may still be wary about it compared to more established places like the business school, or any more established departments
Thank you again :tongue:
I've got conditionals from Imperial (but it's quite unachievable and I don't really like it there), Durham and Lancaster... got rejected by St. Andrews :colondollar:
What about you? :smile:

Ah! Well done!
I have offers from Warwick (firm) and York (insurance).
I got rejected from Durham and St Andrews.
I rejected Bath (It was my backup-backup in case my York interview went tits up.)

It's not like you're waiting on Warwick as your only hope of a place then :P I knew some medics in that position. It doesn't sound great.
Are you thinking of firming Warwick? Or are you just seeing if they'll give you an offer?

I can say that the department looks very good. Because it's in the Russel Group they get a LOT of money to burn (£24m on a new microscope and a building to house the labs for it!!). It kind of shows. Compared to the department at Lancaster (I live near so I've visited) everything is shiny and clean and the labs in general seemed better equipped. You get loads of module options as well (more than the unis I looked at anyway).
The uni itsself is pretty nice as well. A fully equipped sports place (complete with swimming pool and climbing wall!), arts centre and a Tesco :tongue:
I've heard Coventry isn't so nice though. Durham as a city looks a lot nicer. I suppose it depends if you like the more campus orientated feel or not.
Another bonus is that I can actually afford the accommodation! At Warwick I can pay for accommodation and still have up to £94 per week to play with. If I ever managed to get in to Durham, I would have maxed out my loan and still needed £300 before I had paid for accommodation!
Reply 2451
Original post by phoenixfay
Same. We will eventually hear back in two weeks anyway. But Im not expecting much. :frown:

Yeah, I got rejected :frown: Lovely of them to do it 5 days before my exams start...

Are you thinking of firming Warwick? Or are you just seeing if they'll give you an offer?

I can say that the department looks very good. Because it's in the Russel Group they get a LOT of money to burn (£24m on a new microscope and a building to house the labs for it!!). It kind of shows. Compared to the department at Lancaster (I live near so I've visited) everything is shiny and clean and the labs in general seemed better equipped. You get loads of module options as well (more than the unis I looked at anyway).
The uni itsself is pretty nice as well. A fully equipped sports place (complete with swimming pool and climbing wall!), arts centre and a Tesco :tongue:
I've heard Coventry isn't so nice though. Durham as a city looks a lot nicer. I suppose it depends if you like the more campus orientated feel or not.
Another bonus is that I can actually afford the accommodation! At Warwick I can pay for accommodation and still have up to £94 per week to play with. If I ever managed to get in to Durham, I would have maxed out my loan and still needed £300 before I had paid for accommodation!

Yeah, thankfully their decision isn't crucial... actually I was quite unsure about whether to stay in Italy until some time ago. I was told that the actual preparation you get here in Italy is generally better... but I really fancy the experience of studying abroad and learning English well etc etc
So in the end both cases have their cons e pros.
Anyway I don't think I'll firm Warwick, but it would be great to have it as insurance (IF I should get an offer - which seems improbable to me now - and IF the offer should be low enough) I'd firm Durham....
However my relatives, parents, keep telling me to firm Imperial, even if it's risky, because they think its fame is worth it... and insure Durham.
I'm easily influenced... but I've decided not to think about it until I know Warwick's response (I try to :redface:)

And yeah, Warwick sounds great as a Uni!
Reply 2453
Yeah, thankfully their decision isn't crucial... actually I was quite unsure about whether to stay in Italy until some time ago. I was told that the actual preparation you get here in Italy is generally better... but I really fancy the experience of studying abroad and learning English well etc etc
Anyway I don't think I'll firm Warwick, but it would be great to have it as insurance (IF I should get an offer - which seems improbable to me now - and IF the offer should be low enough) I'd firm Durham....
However my relatives, parents, keep telling me to firm Imperial, even if it's risky, because they think its fame is worth it... and insure Durham.
I'm easily influenced... but I've decided not to think about it until I know Warwick's response (I try to :redface:)

Don't worry about not hearing from Warwick yet... I felt like there was no hope as I had applied in October and still heard nothing by mid April but I got an email from them 3 nights ago with an offer. All is not lost.

Where abouts do you live in Italy?

Ah I see. You probably don't need to worry so much about finance if you can afford uni abroad!
Warwick or Durham as insurance though? The offers from Durham, St Andrews and Warwick were all AAA for A levels. Are the offers different in the Italian equivalent? If I was in your position, to put either as an insurance I'd have to firm Imperial, since their offer is A*AA. Whichever one you end up at, you'll have done well. They're all great departments.
Lancaster would be a good insurance choice. It's a great department and fairly unpopular (due to it being northern I suppose?) so you should get in even if you miss your offer slightly (their physics department had clearing spaces last year, although I think all the clearing people were put on the BSc and had to prove they were capable over the year to get onto the Mphys). I would have applied but it's too close to home.
I'm sure you should be able to make your offers anyway. It's just nice to know that you're going to uni even if you mess up in one of your exams :tongue:

Sorry for negging by the way. The neg button is right next to the quote button!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lainy92
Don't worry about not hearing from Warwick yet... I felt like there was no hope as I had applied in October and still heard nothing by mid April but I got an email from them 3 nights ago with an offer. All is not lost.

Where abouts do you live in Italy?

I do agree with you! And congratulations on your offer! What course have you applied for?

I live in quite a little town in the neighbourhood of Milan :smile:
Ah I see. You probably don't need to worry so much about finance if you can afford uni abroad!
Warwick or Durham as insurance though? The offers from Durham, St Andrews and Warwick were all AAA for A levels. Are the offers different in the Italian equivalent? If I was in your position, to put either as an insurance I'd have to firm Imperial, since their offer is A*AA. Whichever one you end up at, you'll have done well. They're all great departments.
Lancaster would be a good insurance choice. It's a great department and fairly unpopular (due to it being northern I suppose?) so you should get in even if you miss your offer slightly (their physics department had clearing spaces last year, although I think all the clearing people were put on the BSc and had to prove they were capable over the year to get onto the Mphys). I would have applied but it's too close to home.
I'm sure you should be able to make your offers anyway. It's just nice to know that you're going to uni even if you mess up in one of your exams :tongue:

Sorry for negging by the way. The neg button is right next to the quote button!!

Ahah don't worry for the neg, I even didn't noticed it until you mentioned (actually I don't really care about this rep thing)

Anyway

I could afford studying in the UK because I can ask for loans as EU national, otherwise it would have been out of the question! I still have to budget my (my parent's actually :s-smilie:) money very carefully...

I really like Lancaster, especially for the course I've applied for sounds very interesting!

Uhm... I was supposed not to think about this until Warwisk's reply :rolleyes:
Reply 2457
I do agree with you! And congratulations on your offer! What course have you applied for?

I live in quite a little town in the neighbourhood of Milan :smile:

Thanks! It felt like forever, though... I applied for Politics and International Studies, what about you?

That's cool; my friend and I are travelling around Italy after our exams and Milan is one of the places we'll be going to... I'm sooo excited! Any advice on where we should go?
Are there any international or private applicants around here who has to verify the documents/certificates before 31 August????

I need little help..
Reply 2459
Original post by cazzy-joe
Are there any international or private applicants around here who has to verify the documents/certificates before 31 August????

I need little help..

I have to verify my personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending